Sign in to follow this  
SOO MAAL

AUSTRALIA: Police 'targeted' Muslim convert over library books

SOO MAAL   

AFP 'targeted' Muslim convert over library books

By Lynn Bell for The World Today

A Melbourne university student says the Australian Federal Police (AFP) has questioned him because he borrowed library books about terrorism and suicide bombings.

The Muslim convert, known as Abraham, says he was targeted by investigators while borrowing the books for PhD research at Monash University into the role of Islam in martyrdom.

Abraham says the AFP drew an unfair link between his Muslim name and his topic of study.

"Obviously, they've had access to my library records," he said.

"I don't know if the phone has been bugged. I don't know if they are watching my movements.

"They are drawing a linkage between a person with a non-English speaking name and saying 'okay, well this is suspicious activity'."

Abraham says there are dozens of students studying similar subjects but he is the only one who has been interviewed, despite espousing a moderate approach to Islam.

"I think it's unjustified and unfair and it also sends a message, unfortunately, to the Muslim community that if they're dealing with the Australian Federal Police authorities that possibly they could be targeted," Abraham said.

"Quite ironic is my study's involved in obviously preventing these actions [terrorism] from occurring.

"They're drawing a linkage with that and saying, 'okay, well you might be a terrorist'."

'Repeal terrorism laws'

The president of Liberty Victoria, Brian Walters SC, is outraged by Abraham's story.

"I think this is extremely serious - it suggests that our AFP and ASIO security police are operating as 'thought police' and undermining academic independence which is so important to a free and democratic society," Mr Walters said.

Mr Walters believes the AFP owes Abraham an apology.

He says the Federal Government should repeal its terrorism laws and take a calmer approach to protecting Australian society.

"I think we should be really concerned about the disruption to our society that these terror laws are creating," Mr Walters said.

"We should be alarmed, not just alert. This is the stuff of Kafka-esque nightmare.

"We do not want a situation where police are vetting the thoughts that we undertake, vetting research and doing so in an environment that cannot be justified."

Students warned

Abraham's lecturer, David Wright-Neville, has told his other students that they may also be open to scrutiny by the authorities.

"It's happened to one and I think that all students, if they're going to be studying this subject, need to be made aware that based on the experience of last week that they might also be targeted by the authorities," Dr Wright-Neville said.

He says students have a right to go about their studies without scrutiny from the police.

He says if a member of the university community was perceived as a terrorist risk, the authorities would be informed.

"I think the authorities need to be comfortable in the knowledge that any academic or any member of the university ... who had any suspicions about any student - and I must say I never have - would obviously work cooperatively with the authorities," Dr Wright-Neville said.