Sign in to follow this  
Paragon

Taarab Time

Paragon   

For those who are not familiar with it, Taarab is an Eastern Africa coastal music - in varying countries such as Kenya, Tanzania/Zanzibar and Somalia. Taarab is a very soothing music perfect for easy listening and its love lyrics are definately appreciable if one has an understanding of Swahili language.

My all time favourites:

(warning: some sensual dancing in video)

New comers:

Dhubad.   

Vidonge Vyao - by Asha Malika (the Somali Caasha Cabdow) .

^Man this takes me back to early 90s.

Thanks for sharing with us duqa.

Urban   

My father listens to this music, and I wish he taught me how to speak swahili. But it's still enjoyable even if you don't understand the lyrics

-Lily-   

^^ My uncle listens to it.

sounds very cheerful, even though I’m not dancing on some Zanzibari beach at sunset there is always the power of daydreams…

Urban   

^Hey I know that song :D ! and that mental image was enough to make me chuckle.

This brings back a lot of good childhood memories.

*completely unrelated: Is there a big difference between swahili and af baraawe?

ElPunto   

Charming songs - so mellow. Beach in Zanzibar sounds very nice rite about now.

I think there is a variation but they can understand each other if they try hard. Sort of like the differences in German spoken in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. At least - so I think.

ElPunto   

^Unheard of I tell ya! What is there to be depressed about - unless you dislike politeness and cleanliness.

Ottawa is the most beautiful city in North America - if you come here in the summer months that is. Winter is another story altogether.

Ottawa sucks. It's boring. It's a confused city.

I was there last summer adeer.

What i found beautiful was the term 'habbo' most somali in that city use as a term of endearment!

ElPunto   

^Ottawa rocks. You/your hosts are boring. Old men are always confused regardless of the city.

Yes - many do say habbo. One out of four.

Unnatural? That's rich coming from Mr. No Name.

i factored the confusion that comes with age. i had all my helpers with me. My hosts thought of Ottawa as the best city in NA. I even had a French Canadian friend who showed me around the city! It does not rock at all!

Waase kuu daayey ee ha ila diririn adeer :D !

ElPunto   

^Xiin - clearly - you and your helpers made a cardinal mistake. Your tour should've included all the fadhi-ku-dhirir hotspots - of which we have a fair number and a requisite amount of time spent therein. I'm sure your views would have been different but for that one factor. For old men - a fair amount of routine is truly the spice of life :D

Adeer [-],

Original would connote time and brainpower exerted to find a creative avatar - you've just given up completely even trying. You've completely missed the point of the word 'original' :D

I understand you're the product of American schools so I'll go easy - recently the Canadian dollar surpassed the US one - clearly that is because we suck. :D That sorta of suckiness I like.