Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

World Cup Widows ready to fight

N.O.R.F   

World Cup Widows ready to fight

By Daniel Bardsley, Staff Reporter

Dubai: Thousands of men will spend happy hours in front of the television during the World Cup but what about their wives?

Across the UAE, many World Cup Widows as they have been dubbed, will be battling to stay sane as their football-mad spouses sit glued to the sets.

Some will be banished to the kitchen or the garden as the small screen takes over their living room with cries of "offside", "goal" and "free kick".

For others, the house will seem all too empty as they endure evenings home alone while their husbands meet with pals in hotel bars to catch the action.

Jackie Ratcliffe, from Scotland, is expecting the house to empty soon when her husband Gordon leaves most evenings to watch the world's top footballers battle for honours.

"He will be watching the games in various places around town. Also my five-year-old son Findley is a big football fan so he'll see some games too. My daughter Hannah and I will have a really girly time when they're off to watch the football," she said laughing.

Carole Prior, a British housewife, will have plenty of time to herself her husband Alan and 13-year-old son Scott are jetting off to Germany to watch England play.

"I'm being deserted," she joked. "They watch football, they play football and they talk about football ... I'm more of a tennis fan so when they're away I'll be free to watch the French Open," she said.

Dubai resident Lilo Gallacher, from Germany, who is married to John from England, has decided there is only one way to avoid becoming a World Cup Widow: "For three-and-a-half years out of four I don't care about football at all ... But for the World Cup, I have decided to stay at home and watch the games with him."

GN

-Lily-   

Every year the same crap about bored women, when will they realize some women actually enjoy watching football :rolleyes: