Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Why did Anila Baig change her mind?

AYOUB   

Ngonge, if googling couldn't help your curiosity, why don't you e-mail and ask her why she flipped? Never know what else will be uncovered ...

It might just be the the hijab is "wrong" attire for Sun readers.

NGONGE   

Does she not wear the hijab now and where is it mentioned? As far as I could tell, she wrote an article about the security at the airport not checking her face under the niqaab but nothing else hinted to her not wearing the hijab. Don't you think it would be speculation on our part to attach a reason, if indeed she doesn't wear the hijab anymore, to her abandonment of the "bushel".

This is unfair, people, unfair I tell you. All along I was under the impression the problem was one of comprehension but now it turns out that you don’t even read what I write before commenting on it. GRRRR. :mad:

Seeker,

Did you see the link to The Sun website that I put in my first post? See her photo?

In addition, the photo that now regularly accompanies her column is not one of her wearing the hijab (this is what started this whole thread – read dammit).

Ayoub,

I’m not interested in her personally, though I would be lying if I didn’t admit that I’m curious (but on a personal level, it really is not my business nor my place to go and ask. Besides, it’s a vulgar thing to do).

NASSIR   

Ngonge, I don't think that wearing veil that covers the whole face is required of Muslim girls. They wear it out of pious act or of their husbands' preference.

In case a Muslim is confronted with such situations under maximum security, a Muslim can use his or her judgement even if that violates the rules of religion. For instance, she was forced to show her hair(which is Cawra) in Islam. She could reject it but she made the right decision. She is very good Mu'min. Another example is when you don't know where the Qibla is and see no one to ask that direction of Mecca where All Muslims face, you are still allowed to use your judgement and pray towards any direction you might believe is the right one.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by AYOUB_SHEIKH:

^^ Can't be worse than asking us to speculate.

A pointless throwaway comment there, saaxib. Furthermore, it’s about ten posts late (if not seventeen). I suppose, so far, the adage that says :“There are none so blind as they who refuse to see; none so deaf as they who refuse to hear!” applies here.

I’m quite satisfied that I’ve presented this topic in the best possible light now I’ll sit back and await replies (if they’re ever forthcoming) from those that might be interested in having a beneficial discussion rather than snipe and grumble.

Caamir,

Fair reply, saaxib. But it does not deal with what I’m getting at here (read my second and third posts). I wasn’t aiming for a discussion about what is allowed or forbidden in Islam. The lady was merely an example of the problems and choices we (as Muslims) face in the West today. Maybe I overestimated the level of indifference here and should have spelt it out very clearly from the outset. Though I strongly doubt that and seriously believe that most people follow current events (more so those that concern Islam and Muslims) and would easily tie this situation to all the recent breaking stories and debates.

NASSIR   

Well the choices we face are many and quite ambivalent in our orientations to either conceal what characterizes us as Muslims or manifest proudly who we are, distinctions of our culture and religious practices.

After 9/11, the Muslims have become targets for racial profiling as a result of the media hyping, which puts all Muslims in league with the extremists. In light of government misinformation, average Joes in the West and those who are entrusted with responsibility have become victims of misinformation.

I was once reading a tabloid called "Readers" which featured a Sikh at its front page. It had so many pictures at the front page from the same person. It first drew my attention to read into these pictures just to see whether they convey any implicit messages. The Sikh was sort of showing how to tie a turban in different styles, which requires careful binding and knotting and finally attaching it with a string. The Sikh was educating the public complete difference of their religion from Islam and their style of turban as a projective identity of uniqueness. However, as he claimed, he didn't want to isolate Muslims for discrimination and that equality was central to their faith, yet he wanted to teach the public their difference to be safe from harm out of what sociologists term the so called "misplaced aggression".

I think it's hard to avoid the pressure of the mainstream society in which we live but there are times the push comes to shove only to be prudent in the act of something that violates what our religion enjoins us to live toward our way of life. For instance, your sister tried several times to get a job but to no avail. She met all the requirements and had good record of employment but for some reason, she could not secure a job due to unknown reasons. It happened to one of the Muslim sisters I know. We couldn't figure out what the problem was until one of us suggested that she join the mainstream for this purpose alone. The result was telling.

Ngonge, please forgive me I am still out of the picture.

SeeKer   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

This is unfair, people, unfair I tell you. All along I was under the impression the problem was one of comprehension but now it turns out that you don’t even read what I write before commenting on it. GRRRR. :mad:

Seeker,

Did you see the link to
The Sun
website that I put in my first post? See her photo?

In addition, the photo that now regularly accompanies her column is not one of her wearing the hijab (this is what started this whole thread – read dammit).

Excuse you luv, but the link you posted was an article with her wearing a niqaab and one of her not wearing one. Am I to draw conclusion from those two photos that this is her path now? Pardon me for being skeptical but the only way tabloids get readership is by sensationalizing and those pics could be just that. I wasn't sitting by you when you read the sun or when you spotted her column photo so I have no reason to believe you. Comprende mijo? ;)

**Someone needs some chemicals in their bloodstream**

Zafir   

Ngonge,

I feel omit to respond, you have made me a prime example to further illustrate your points, you see, I would like to say, “I am sorry I am not sure if I connect all the dots.” But damn it I do. Besides it will be total disregard of me to leave you high and dry. :D

Let’s separate religion and right for just a quick second here; wearing the Hijab is no different than having your nipples pierced or tattooing your entire body Osama picture. It’s an individual right, where only you and yourself have a say.

On a personal level, I feel less desired by the concept of covering you whole face and baring only your eyes, I feel, all that has happened now, Muslims being made the black sheep, we shouldn’t give them the pleasure of curiosity, for we have utterly to nothing hide.