Sign in to follow this  
Saalax

Hargeisa khat addiction fever

^Your fella Southerner is most likely those who grew up during the upheaval. Yes, Mogadishu's golden days, were also Hargeisa's worse time.

Anyway, thanks for the overview of Southern Somalia's historic events. I wasn't trying to project any historic lessons here. I was only referring to the facts that the 1960s Union was a very bad mistake for people of Somaliland.

Somaliland is currently going through it is own slow recovery. It is very slow but it is 100% locally owned, locally driven, locally invested, with local innovation and local application. Everything that you earn the hard way, you will keep it very close. All things that are easily gotten are easily lost.

This Khat issue is a social ill. I am glad that now the majority of the youth shun it. And that number will only keep getting bigger until only a very small marginal section of society becomes the only few that still use it.

The progress will depend on how soon other related issues are addressed, issues like unemployment, education, sporting facility, access to recreational activities. These also depend things like a healthy economy, final solution to the ongoing political issue, access FDI, natural resources etc.

^Your fella Southerner is most likely those who grew up during the upheaval. Yes, Mogadishu's golden days, were also Hargeisa's worse time.

Anyway, thanks for the overview of Southern Somalia's historic events. I wasn't trying to project any historic lessons here. I was only referring to the facts that the 1960s Union was a very bad mistake for people of Somaliland.

Somaliland is currently going through it is own slow recovery. It is very slow but it is 100% locally owned, locally driven, locally invested, with local innovation and local application. Everything that you earn the hard way, you will keep it very close. All things that are easily gotten are easily lost.

This Khat issue is a social ill. I am glad that now the majority of the youth shun it. And that number will only keep getting bigger until only a very small marginal section of society becomes the only few that still use it.

The progress will depend on how soon other related issues are addressed, issues like unemployment, education, sporting facility, access to recreational activities. These also depend things like a healthy economy, final solution to the ongoing political issue, access FDI, natural resources etc.

said:

This is funny. I was talking to fellow southerner the other day. He was accusing reer Waqooyi of bringing jaad and qabyaalad among other vices to the South. I guess it is easy to blame others for your shortcomings. But that said he does want to visit Somaliland and other Somali lands.

In any case, the southerners have been busy with each other for the last the 30 years. Still, the north does not seem to rid itself of "southern bad habits:. The North is still poor and dusty, tribal in nature and their leaders corrupt to the core.

Regarding the British administration in the North, considering the amount of resources and man power the British invested in fighting the Dervishes, the idea that their admin was hands off is simply tol talk, simple self deception or outright lie. You are confusing British benevolence towards collaborating clans with independence.

A bit of history about the South,

The Italians had a direct control only over Banadir. In other parts of the south, they simply entered treaties with sultanates and local clans.

That changed with the rise of fascism. The fascists changed the strategy. They sent the fascist governor Cesare Maria De Vecchi who was tasked with disarming the Somalis and bring all of the South under one administration.

The fascist broke the treaties with MJ sultanates. The MJ revolted and Italians retreated in order to regroup. The Italians suffered initial setbacks in Dharoor valley, Eyl, Hobye, etc. They finally captured MJ territories by having their warships bombard all the MJ coastal towns and villages. They captured Hobyo and moved inland. The MJs were defeated by 1927 and their leaders exiled. The last battle was at Iskushuban where the fascists sent a large force. The fascists used brute force in order to avoid the embarrassment of Adwa battle.

Sheikh Hassan Barsane started another revolt in the South. Before he started fighting the fascist Italians, Sheikh Barsane only fought the Ethiopian expansionist. He defeated the Ethiopian expansionists at the battle of Gumar Shabeel and put an end to their misadventures into Somalia. He started a campaign against the fascists. He fought at Bulo Barde, Ceeldheer, the entire Shabelle and Hiran regions.

The Biyamaal also revolted but they and Dervishes were spent forces by the fascists arrived.

The Italian fascists put down all Somali resistance with brute force as they considered Italian Somaliland as their jewel colony. The administrative structure was setup largely to control the Somalis, protect Italian farms and help settle the large influx of Italians.

The Italians started a process of assimilation by educating would be Somali administrators,a process I imagine took place in every European colony.

The Somalis of the South fought and resisted Italian fascism. The fascists had to build a state structure in order control them.