Sign in to follow this  
Saalax

Hargeisa khat addiction fever

Saalax   

Today few cars carrying miira khat entered in the market

and were stormed by hundreds of khat addicts in central

Hargeisa. Dhibaatada umaad drugaysaan wa tan.

The tragedy in Oromo region where about 40 traders were murdered mostly from Hargeisa and Borama, has caused a seismic shift within the Somaliland business community.

Rumour travels like the wind within the Somaliland community, the rumours say that the Khat from Ethiopia has been poisoned. In fact there are reports from Jigjiga that a number of people have been hospitalised due to this.

In other news, the absence of Khat has also been felt surprisingly positively. Local businesses have seen boost in customers specially restaurants and cafeteria.

The other big winners are the local growers of Khat who have seen their demand sky rocket. The video you have posted is one of the locally grown brands.

Saalax   

Khat addiction is a big problem and needs to be tackled.

It is a sad sight hundreds of grown men running around

like animals so they can chew some grass.

In the olden days Khat use was a social event primarily used by the well off, the old men. It was used mainly during weekends i.e. Khamista iyo jumcaha.

However, when society broke down after 1980s, and Somaliland became a military occupied terriroty, there was shift in those who use khat to kill time. Hence it is now spiralled out of control and became a 24 hour fix.

Southern Somalia which had no background of khat use before 1990s, has now also been affected by this menace. It re-enforces that the use of khat and the break down of society are two things that go hand in hand.

I find hope in Somaliland youth. I see them turning their back to this menace. Instead of killing time, they now go to schools, play sports and do other activities that a normal person does.

This Shiekh Umul talking about the high numbers of youth going to the masjid and other educational facilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_-pV5AoGQo

Saalax   

Suldaanka well put. However jobs need to be created for

the youth and more recreational centers that is the only

way to defeat the widespread khat addiction. Somaliland

can never develop to its potential if majority of the population

are drugged up.

Khat is social ill, and major hazard, and contribute alot of bad effects.

From time waste, to health issues, social issues, any nation who has any government, the role is to see the social problem and address, large chuck of SOMALIS are mostly addicts, and their leaders are addicts,and can not come up with Solution. Leaders are compromised!

However, when society broke down after 1980s, and Somaliland became a military occupied territory, there was shift in those who use khat to kill time. Hence it is now spiralled out of control and became a 24 hour fix

Every major problem in North is not because of the late Dictator?, when will your people stop hearsay and take responsibilities on your own hands, and address your problems, do you know the late Dictator effectively banned KHat in 1980s? apart from few smugglers, and successfully stopped and burned all local farms?

And even then the number of people who chew Khat was not even as big as 20% of current use.

It is a major epidemic now

Paper on Khat prohibition in SOMALIA in 1980s

http://dspace-roma3.caspur.it/bitstream/2307/1007/5/23_A.%20M.%20AHMED%20-%20Aftermaths%20of%20khat%20prohibition%20in%20Somalia.pdf

Another study oy KHat prohibition in SOMALIA, it has been done before, and it can be done again if there is a will.

Experience in the control of khat-chewing in Somalia.

Elmi AS1, Ahmed YH, Samatar MS.

Author information

Abstract

The chewing of the leaves of the plant called khat (Catha edulis Forsk) is a common habit in some countries of East Africa and the Arabian Peninsula. Khat-chewing has a stimulating effect on the central nervous system, which is the reason for the widespread abuse of this plant. From the mid-1960s to the early 1980s, khat-chewing spread from the limited area of the north-western part of Somalia to the whole country, assuming epidemic proportions. Khat-chewing was recognized as a real national problem with adverse consequences for the health and socio-economic development of the country. A law prohibiting the use, importation, cultivation and trade of khat was enacted in 1983, and it has been strongly enforced by a comprehensive national programme that has mobilized the whole country to achieve its objectives. Committees to co-ordinate action on khat control were established at the national, regional and local levels. An information and education campaign through the use of the mass media has been carried out to support the national programme. After the successes achieved in the enforcement of the prohibition law, the national authorities, hampered by a shortage of financial resources, have had major difficulties in providing farmers with adequate compensation for damage caused to them by the destruction of khat plantations. Difficulties were also experienced in coping with the unemployment of those who were involved in the khat business and in establishing the recreational facilities needed to provide healthy social alternatives to khat-chewing sessions. These difficulties have only been partly solved.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2896525

I believe the peak khat use in Somaliland has passed. Khat use is on the wane.

With regards to the dictatorship, I do believe it was the root cause for all things that is wrong with our country and society. Including khat epedemic, destruction, death, mental issues. If not creating them, the miliatary junta magnified and made it worse.

In 1960s, Somaliland had the British work ethic, zero corruption, punctuality was high, religious, and most importantly zero crime. All that changed after 1960 union. COrruption, clanism, mafia, zero sum politics, dictatorship.

Somalilanders are consensus based people, I let you win today but you let me win tomorrow. But in the south its "cadaw ama ku cunay ama ku ciideeyay".

So all the things that are wrong with Somaliland today can be traced right back to the 1960 union and the dictatorship.

And conversely, all the things that is right can be traced back to the decision made on May 18th 1991.

I think to believe that every social problem,and shortcoming in the SOMALI regions, whether is SL or SOUTH is because of Late dictator, that is extremely biased view.

when your leaders fail you, and deliver nothing and incompetence becomes the norm, then only there is only one person they keep blaming, the late dictator, and the citizens should not buy it.

when Habar kasta ogtahay waxyeelada KHAADKA , I am very surprised why atleast SL can not come up with policy, a law to prohibit its use? even they can't fully enforce that law. whey not put heavy taxation? as deterrent.

why? why Putland can not stop it,

two reasons I think, of, Number of the leaders are compromised, and they are themselves addicts, and or scared of their leaders in Ethiopia.

I don't know about the South, I never been there, never want to go there. But I know about Somaliland and I know the history of Somaliland very well.

I have lived through the harsh and difficult times of the military dictator specially during the later years of 1980s when I was a young boy.

I have gathered enough information from those who remember how life was before the Union and how it took a bad turn after the Union of 1960s.

You have to understand the colonial experience in Somaliland was never anything that was close to South Somalia. In fact, Somaliland was not a colony at all, it was a protectorate and hence it was a hands off attitude towards the governane from the British administration. Whereas in South Somalia it was an aparthied form of governance in which people where subjected to all kinds of mistreatment and humilations. We never had any of that experience.

All the social ills that we are today experiencing was either introduced or magnified by the Union with Southern Somalia.

To undo that, we have to slowly rewire and reskill everyone's brains. It will take generations.

said:

Paper on Khat prohibition in SOMALIA in 1980s

Another study oy KHat prohibition in SOMALIA, it has been done before, and it can be done again if there is a will.

Experience in the control of khat-chewing in Somalia.

Elmi AS1, Ahmed YH, Samatar MS.

Author information

Abstract

The chewing of the leaves of the plant called khat (Catha edulis Forsk) is a common habit in some countries of East Africa and the Arabian Peninsula. Khat-chewing has a stimulating effect on the central nervous system, which is the reason for the widespread abuse of this plant. From the mid-1960s to the early 1980s, khat-chewing spread from the limited area of the
north-western part of Somalia
to the whole country, assuming epidemic proportions. Khat-chewing was recognized as a real national problem with adverse consequences for the health and socio-economic development of the country. A law prohibiting the use, importation, cultivation and trade of khat was enacted in 1983, and it has been strongly enforced by a comprehensive national programme that has mobilized the whole country to achieve its objectives. Committees to co-ordinate action on khat control were established at the national, regional and local levels. An information and education campaign through the use of the mass media has been carried out to support the national programme. After the successes achieved in the enforcement of the prohibition law, the national authorities, hampered by a shortage of financial resources, have had major difficulties in providing farmers with adequate compensation for damage caused to them by the destruction of khat plantations. Difficulties were also experienced in coping with the unemployment of those who were involved in the khat business and in establishing the recreational facilities needed to provide healthy social alternatives to khat-chewing sessions. These difficulties have only been partly solved.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)

Maakhir,

Afwayne's regime was one of the most corrupt regimes in Africa. You will never trust anything they said they will do. They even had a highly publicised programs to root out corruption and clannism. You know where these ended up.

The only thing that the 'ban on Khat' in 1980s achieved was that it legitimised the subjugation & mistreatment of the locals by the dreaded 'red beret' (koofiyad cas). It was a way to legalise the looting of people's wealth. That is the only thing it achieved.

This is funny. I was talking to fellow southerner the other day. He was accusing reer Waqooyi of bringing jaad and qabyaalad among other vices to the South. I guess it is easy to blame others for your shortcomings. But that said he does want to visit Somaliland and other Somali lands.

In any case, the southerners have been busy with each other for the last the 30 years. Still, the north does not seem to rid itself of "southern bad habits:. The North is still poor and dusty, tribal in nature and their leaders corrupt to the core.

Regarding the British administration in the North, considering the amount of resources and man power the British invested in fighting the Dervishes, the idea that their admin was hands off is simply tol talk, simple self deception or outright lie. You are confusing British benevolence towards collaborating clans with independence.

A bit of history about the South,

The Italians had a direct control only over Banadir. In other parts of the south, they simply entered treaties with sultanates and local clans.

That changed with the rise of fascism. The fascists changed the strategy. They sent the fascist governor Cesare Maria De Vecchi who was tasked with disarming the Somalis and bring all of the South under one administration.

The fascist broke the treaties with MJ sultanates. The MJ revolted and Italians retreated in order to regroup. The Italians suffered initial setbacks in Dharoor valley, Eyl, Hobye, etc. They finally captured MJ territories by having their warships bombard all the MJ coastal towns and villages. They captured Hobyo and moved inland. The MJs were defeated by 1927 and their leaders exiled. The last battle was at Iskushuban where the fascists sent a large force. The fascists used brute force in order to avoid the embarrassment of Adwa battle.

Sheikh Hassan Barsane started another revolt in the South. Before he started fighting the fascist Italians, Sheikh Barsane only fought the Ethiopian expansionist. He defeated the Ethiopian expansionists at the battle of Gumar Shabeel and put an end to their misadventures into Somalia. He started a campaign against the fascists. He fought at Bulo Barde, Ceeldheer, the entire Shabelle and Hiran regions.

The Biyamaal also revolted but they and Dervishes were spent forces by the fascists arrived.

The Italian fascists put down all Somali resistance with brute force as they considered Italian Somaliland as their jewel colony. The administrative structure was setup largely to control the Somalis, protect Italian farms and help settle the large influx of Italians.

The Italians started a process of assimilation by educating would be Somali administrators,a process I imagine took place in every European colony.

The Somalis of the South fought and resisted Italian fascism. The fascists had to build a state structure in order control them.