Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

Maradona's Argentina faltering

Abtigiis   

Diego is to blame. Sunday Morning as I watched Brazil beat them in style, I was left with the impression that Diego is panicking. He has collected old guards like Heinze, Veron, Zenetti who could barely run. Add style-less Mascherano as a captain and you will find out that the three dimunitive strikers upfront, talented as they are, do not get logistical support. Tevez, Messi, Sergio Augerro are quality, but you need someone like Crespo or Batistuta there too to head in balls from the corners. They played like Arsenal the other night and tall Brazillian defenders only had to pack the center to stop them.

One exception was Jesus Datolo, who scored a fantastic goal for the Argentines. He was alive and sharp all night and I am of the opinion that unless Argentina looks for others like him, young and ambitious, they will not go far. That is if they manage to go to South Africa. Which they must beat Paraguay and Uruguay away, if they want to do so. They will not be able to do this, but I still think Argentina will qualify even if it means they will be the fifth team from their continent and will need a tw0-way decider with the representative from other continent.

My team Brazil look set to add the sixth one. They only need to do the following minor things:

- Find one more good striker other than Luis Fabiano

- Take Gilberto Silva out, and bring in juvenus's Diego (not a like for like replacement). Lucas can do the job of defensive midfiler.

Oz   

I cannot believe a nation with players as talented as Argentina is in danger of missing out on the World Cup.

There is so many questions to be asked: Why oh why didn't Aguero start? Argentina played better when he came on, Tevez has not been playing too well recently for Argentina.They miss a Cambiasso in midfield, him and Mascherano would compliment each other brilliantly, doing the dirty work shielding the defense while the others just bomb forward and attack. Felt sorry for Messi and Zanetti as both tried their hearts out. I also wondered why wasn't Sergio Romero in goal either? he has been brilliant for AZ Alkmaar recently.

What could be interesting is if Argentina finish 5th in COMNEBOL and Mexico finish 4th in CONCACAF. What a play-off game that could turn out to be. :D

Brazil looked really good, which is why they'll probably flop at the World Cup,They only win the World Cup when they go in unfancied and on a poor run of form. Brilliant goal by Fabiano too, took it very well.

Abtigiis   

Oz,

Apparently, it is you who are advising Maradona on his selection. How can you talk about Cambiasso when when the problem with this argentine team is that there is no enough new blood?!! It is not also about Aguero starting or Tevez not doing well.

Argentina's problem is poor defence (entirelY). I was of teh opinion that had Brazil threw lot more balls they would have added more goals. No enough creative midfield, and short strikers. They should bring in new guys. I don't know if they have some. Where is Gago horta. Or are they a team in transition. It happens, you know.

Mexico is not finishing fourth. USA, Mexioo and Honduras will qualify from that side, but still Costa Rica can be a problem for the current Argentina side.

Fabregas   

veron ah? are you serious. that guy, although I rate him as the best midfielder after zidane and the likes of ruicosta, hasn't played good since Siera a used to be the best league and channel 4 used to show it on a sunday afternoon. lol. i thought he would have called it a day by now? Zaneti too. No wonder Argentina are flopping. I think if Argies don't qualify FIFA should bring Maradonna to an arbitration court. He should be charged on rule number 246- depriving footie fans of watching messi play in the world cup. The guy is a circus clown.

Luis Fabiano's goal scoring record with Brazil is incredible it must be stated. 25 goals in 33 matches,with such a start he'll be rivaling the greats by the time he's done.