Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

CNN Interview with Somalias Foreign minister fawziya

Illyria   

With all due respect to our honourable lady, she had no business being a foreign minister. What an opportunity lost. Someone with mastery in diplomacy and experience in international relations should have been appointed to the post. Fozia unfortunately is not there yet.

Carafaat   

Ilyria, what has she done wrong If I may ask? She is much better then the current FM of Somaliland, who is a complete failure.

Illyria   

Just listen to the questions asked, and her responses. the only memorable thing she said 5+ times was that Somalia is rich. not only was she nervous, but she came unprepared which is what she should have done knowing that she lacks the experience to quickly think on her feet, and with preset responses to further the cause of the gov't. just to name a few.

And why o why did not she outline gov't policies, foreign if nothing else. and how about thanking the countries and heads of states that offered to help with hard currency?

And this is not bashing our dear sister, but unfortunately she is out of her depth.

I cannot say much about the other gentleman as I have never listened to him.

Carafaat   

Ilyria, your criticism regarding her media performance seems fair. I don't think you are bashing her, its constructive and to the point. We need to be critical of our politicians and their performance in order to keep them sharp. By the way, all our politicians need to get some media training. I wasn't impressed either by media performances from Hassan Sheick(eventhough he is much better then Shariif).

The only politician who really did well in international media was Edna Aden, but then again she has decades of experience.

Illyria   

True, Somali politicians are not media savvy, and lack the discipline to stick with their talking points forgetting that what is tolerated by the non-suspecting Somali audience will not be taken kindly by critical minds elsewhere.

Edna has some qualities others lack, but has a greater defect other do not. Firstly, she was married to politics at the higher order for far too long where she dined and wined with the powers that be. Secondly, she has a good command of the English language, which others do not. Thirdly, she is naturally an outgoing, confident person. And finally, she knows the history of the subject she is discussing, and knows her audience doing her homework ahead of time. Her downfall however was she mixed reality with fiction far too much to the point where she could no longer be taken seriously, particularly when talking to people who knew the subject and its history more than her, and could see the flaws in her argument. In other words, she went to the well far too many times.

Others like Fawzia, Jangali, Oomar etc., while less remarkable, were nonetheless decent beings whereas Edna resides in cuckoo's nest.

Carafaat   

Well one can agree on the content of her message. Some might agree and others might disagree. But the reality is, she lives and works within the country and has been for all those years. Still working to save the lives of mothers and children Those others you are mentioning Jangali and Oomar are roaming in foreign lands, I have met them both while they were living in Nairobi hotels. Unfortunately we have seen to many of those diaspora politicians who hardly know the reality on the ground and have made little difference for the people on the ground. Whereas people like Cadde Muuse, Faroole and others(despite their gaffes now and then)live side by side between the people.

So, I don't think one can compare the diaspora politicians with their sweet talk and those knowing the reality with their boots on the ground. My respect goes to the former even when I don't agree with their politics.

NGONGE   

Carafaat;948106 wrote:
Ilyria, what has she done wrong If I may ask? She is much better then the current FM of Somaliland, who is a complete failure.

:D :D (you wouldn't know "better" if it were staring you right in the face).

Carafaat ur asking what is wrong with her she is an ethnic somalilander thats what is wrong with her

The defeated lot have a problem with her nationality and ethnic origin. Not about her skills but because this woman comes from snm houses and was married to an usc general some people do not like her.

Carafaat   

NGONGE;948246 wrote:
:D
:D (you wouldn't know "better" if it were staring you right in the face).

Ngonge, what is that supposed to mean? please clarify.

Illyria   

That is a coded message ala 'reer magaalnimo' not to say it openly, but his guise was torched by the message that followed.

We are in era where mediocrity is accepted as the highest standard, waffle as effective oratory, and dim retorts as wit. And when all else fails, the clan card is raised to reject logic, avoid mature debate, and refute valid arguments.

Wadani   

Illyria;948325 wrote:
That is a coded message ala 'reer magaalnimo' not to say it openly, but his guise was torched by the message that followed.

We are in era where mediocrity is accepted as the highest standard, waffle as effective oratory, and dim retorts as wit. And when all else fails, the clan card is raised to reject logic, avoid mature debate, and refute valid arguments.

Illyria, gone are the days of the likes of Maxamad Xaaji Ibraahin Ciqaal and his political acumen and the unmatched oratory and rhetorical skills of Siyaad Barre. They were a different calibre of politician and the current excuses for statesmen we have on our hands today can't hold a candle to them.

I like when separatists come out in defense of a Somali Government official :D ---excitement briefly springs them into action to defend the integrity of someone they disowned yesterday

Wadani   

xiinfaniin;948334 wrote:
I like when separatists come out in defense of a Somali Government official
:D
---excitement briefly springs them into action to defend the integrity of someone they disowned yesterday

Xiin, waadigii shalay cararay markaan map-kii Caynabo district meesha ku soo dhajiyay. :D