Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Confederations Cup

Originally posted by Torres:

^I saw them against Egypt. Well organised. Hope they qualify. The only African team north of the sahara I'm willing to tolerate.

Ha I share your sentiments for most North African teams, but only when playing the likes of Cote D'Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria( not so much them considering their endless letdowns).However I usually root for the Arabs outside regional competition. I admittedly find it challenging to root for Egypt though, keeping in mind the history of their antics and unprofessionalism in the past. I dont know if you recall their teams in the 90s built around the Hassan twins two real scumbags lol. Algeria on the other hand has a rabid fanbase and a young promising squad that I feel at ease supporting.

Oz   

LOL norf, I didn't watch the match, yet I can't understand how the pharoah's were beaten by Usa.

Still:

Theres obviously quite a bit of quality in the Egyptian domestic leagues, with the majority staying in their home country. I'd imagine quite a few players turn down offers from foreign clubs, especially the teams in Muslim countries with plenty of money (Quatar, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia etc). Obviously they're highly successful within Africa, (not that their current qualifying efforts would suggest so) but they don't beat many European teams.

They're a strange one, routinely beating African teams with much higher profile players like Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Cameroon etc in the African nations cup but never making an impact in the world cup. Al-Ahly (current domestic champions) have won the African champions league 3 out of the last 4 years too. I guess thats where they belong...

Brazil V Spain final for me.

N.O.R.F   

They are good no doubt. Really impressed with their Captain and Abu Tarika more than the rest. Unfortunately for them they have adopted what is common among Arabs. As long as they are known as the best Arab team they will be happy.

NGONGE   

^^ The loss is already forgotten in Egypt. A bigger story broke out and now the players are threatening a strike. :D

It turns out that their hotel rooms were broken into and someone stole some of their belongings after the Italy game. The Egyptian team called the police. Some South African papers heard of this and decided to publish a story about the Egyptian players celebrating their win against Italy by hiring some prostitutes (who, it is claimed were the robbers).

After the USA game and as the players were doing some TV interviews to apologise for and explain this strange defeat, the interviewer (a famous Egyptian journalist) asked them about the story of the prostitutes and cynically hinted such activities might have played a part in reducing their overall fitness!

The players all got angry and kept passing the phone from one player to the other to deny such allegations. Abu Trika is threatening to quit football altogether. Ahmed Hassan is demanding an apology. Wael Gomca asked what would the people at home think of him now (he meant his own wife). But the manager had the last word before he rudely hung up the phone. He said: You are driving us crazy, yekhrib beyootkom. :D

I do love Egyptians I do. :D:D

Originally posted by NGONGE:

:D

lol I saw this last night,quality tv and typical Egyptian passion on display there. If you are as familiar with Qahera Al Youm as I am you would know that Amr Edib is simply a blowhard,who routinely goes off on the deep end in order to keep his high profile within the public. I dont think he was even cynical at his hinting of the allegations at impacting the performance, he was all out in his criticism and it definitely crossed the line. Who caught the part where he noted that South African women are garbage, and the players should be worried about their health considering the threats of Aids. How long till Memritv catches wind of that, and gets a translation I wonder :D ? Shehata's outburst was classic though " toz fil Koora, toz fi Masr, wa allah yekhrib beytkoom" :D the old man really went off. Theres also reports that the Egyptians are suing the newspapers who reported the alleged transgressions, and that the hotel employees are under investigation for robbery so it seems as though they are vindicated.

To make matters worse for Egypt, it seems as though their main rival, Algeria, is poised to go through to the WC.

MZanzi   

C'mon USA .....2-0

PS. The Zuluz are driving Fifa president insane with their trade mark Vuvuzela ..afrikanka qelo badana bu isleeyahay

nuune   

Spain are out, they all looked erribly tired, but kudos to keeperka mareekanka, without him wax ay yihiin ma lahan sakaraatka :D

MZanzi   

Nuune sxbow USA they know how to upset big teams ...ciyaarta marke bilaabatay weerarka eey ku bilaabeen spain aan layaabay difaac diif aa laga keeenay ....i hope the zulu boys will upset the brazilianz barito