NGONGE   

Showqi;930087 wrote:
Yap. And that is why the Southerners call you Qalda@n:D

The ironic thing here of course is that Qa-l-daan is also an Arabic word. :D

p.s.

Darbi is also an Arabic word.

Wadani   

Apophis;930273 wrote:
Eugh; whenever I hear Waqooyi accent I write the individual off as a simpleton. The dialect is truly offensive to the ears.

Apophis, this isn't the first time I've seen u disparage the northern dialect. R u seriously not aware that the greatest bards produce their poetry in this dialect. That most song writers are Northern, and that northern Somali is considered the standard? Check out BBC Somalia and mostly anything written in Somali and tell me what dialect is used.

Haatu   

Wadani, there's a difference between Standard Somali, and the way people pronounce words. You guys sound like you're talking with a mouth full of qaad (pun intended :D)

Wadani   

Haatu;930300 wrote:
Wadani, there's a difference between Standard Somali, and the way people pronounce words. You guys sound like you're talking with a mouth full of qaad (pun intended
:D
)

Let me put it this way. Most Somalis from the south cannot give a speech in the same Somali they speak at home. I on the other hand can give a speech in the very same way I speak with my family at home.

Haatu   

Wadani;930303 wrote:
Let me put it this way. Most Somalis from the south cannot give a speech in the same Somali they speak at home. I on the other hand can give a speech in the very same way I speak with my family at home.

I concede you guys speak more formal, but pronunciation is different. You guys can speak the best Somali, but your accent sucks :D

PS: Reer Kilinka will give you lot a run for your money.

Wadani   

Haatu;930306 wrote:
I concede you guys speak more formal, but pronunciation is
different
. You guys can speak the best Somali, but your accent sucks

Ok thats fair. I can live with that. :)

gooni   

lahjada waqooyiga haduu nin kugu yiraahdo tani waa gabadhayda haku khaldamin waa xaaskiisa

haduu ku yiraahdo islaantii baynu isa soo laynay islaan kale maahan waa hooyadiis.

Haatu;930306 wrote:
I concede you guys speak more formal, but pronunciation is
different
. You guys can speak the best Somali, but your accent sucks

Reer woqoyi including reer Kilinka shanaad have no problem pronouncing some letters but koonfurians do have problems with some words and letters.Accent can be bad thats ur opinion because ur not use it but its the best version of the Somali language.

Wadani   

Xaaji, What regions would u consider waqooyi (including kilinka) in terms of dialect. Give me the North, south east and west borders. Im thinking it's like this: The entire area between zaylac and laas qoray in the north, dhagaxbuur in the west, laascaanood in the east and wardheer in the south. What do u think?

From Daroor to dhagaxbuur all the way up to aware than up to the SL border have the same accent, Wardheer accent is a bit close to reer mudug wax wada hayada bay ku hadlan waan imahayaa waan fadhisanahay wax wada hayadaas ah. But it can be very close to the reer woqoyi and the rest of the Kilil region Its basically the same dialect but different accent , for instance i can tell when i hear some one from gabiley or borame speak they speak a little different than reer hargeisa. And than reer hargeisa is different than reer burco and than reer burco is a little different than reer Laaascaanood. I could exactly tell the difference between reer Buhoodle and reer laascaanood to. Reer Buhoodle is very close to Burco. They speak the same dialect reer SL and reer Kilil and all pronounce the words the same way. But the tone op voice the speed how they talk is different. For instance reer Hargeisa hadalka wa boobisyaan reer laasqoray talk so slow , waad seexanaysa. reer salaxlay and reer aware and reer dhagaxbuur hadalkooda waxa ku wada jira wax mah mahooyin ah.

Wadani   

Xaaji, thansk bro. I learn a lot from u. I know there are variations within the waqooyi dialect itself, but isnt it safe to say that all the territory within the borders I made above can be considered waqooyi dialect? Even wardheer, even though it shares some of that 'waan imanahayaa' stuff with mudug is still northern. A lot of H.Y. and Cagdheer live in wardheer, and I think it's the M.J's of Wardheer who bring in that mudug influence.

Wadani;930279 wrote:
. Northern Somali is considered the standard? Check out BBC Somalia and mostly anything written in Somali and tell me what dialect is used.

Standard? Considered by who? The standard dialect for text books and broadcasting is Mudug dialect as adopted by the Somali Government, so stop making up stuff! When one says Northern dialect, the term refers to every Somali except those that speak May May and minority languages. The Northern dialect has subgroups including Somali Galbeed, Waqooyi, Bari, Mudug, Galgaduud, Hiiraan,etc. Invest sometime in reading the works done by key Somali linguists.

And May May which has its own sub-dialects is the source of the Somali language!

Poor Haatu, you too invest time in studying the Somali before you label some regions as speaking the formal Somali. How one dialect be more proper than other?

p.s. People there's no North or South when it comes to dialects. You are interjecting politics into language. Language variation occur within every region.

Sign in to follow this