Sign in to follow this  
Haatu

Educating Indonesia

Haatu   

It's a show done by Al Jazeera's 101 East programme and exploring education in Indonesia. In the programme they talk about a programme whereby young university graduates are sent for 1 year to remote villages to teach young children. I think this is a brilliant idea and a wonderful way to start your career and to get to know your country. Maybe Somalia should consider something similar?

Enjoy: http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/101east/2013/02/201321965257154992.html

Haatu, Somalia once had the same program quite some time ago during the Barre regime. This was a compulsory national service requirement in which graduates were sent to villages, as you mentioned, to teach. This is one of the reasons why the literacy rate in Somalia sky rocketed during that era. My father, my uncles, all took part in the program. Those who took part of the program, if I recall correctly, were sent to areas that were not necessarily associated with their clan, to further dispel the notion of clanism.

Maryam Qasim, the minister of social development, is currently working on a spin-off of the original program, which will more so focus on Diaspora to come back and teach. This is part of her Go to School initiative, which has the goal of providing 1,000,000 Somalis access to education by September.

Haatu   

SomaliPhilosopher;926578 wrote:
Maryam Qasim, the minister of social development, is currently working on a spin-off of the original program, which will more so focus on Diaspora to come back and teach. This is part of her Go to School initiative, which has the goal of providing 1,000,000 Somalis access to education by September.

Allow me to rant here for a bit. This "Go to School" campaign is supposedly for Somali kids in Somalia, and yet the damn slogan of the whole thing is in ENGLISH! Since when did English become the official language? I thought they taught in SOMALI in SOMALIA, not English! How can a people that completely disregard their own language even dream of educating a nation. These so-called ministers and that foolish president should be the first to be educated in how to speak Somali properly and to appreciate their language. The hopeless oaf (X Sh Max'uud) and the foolish lady (Marwo Fawsiyo) can't stop saying "cilaaqaad" this "cilaaqaad" that. Do these fools not realise that the Somali word is xiriir? Where do they get this cilaaqaad rubbish? Do they think it is ilbaxnimo?!?

Phew. End of rant.

As for the scheme you mentioned, that was for only a limited time period. The one in Indonesia takes place every year.

Haatu   

Alpha Blondy;926588 wrote:
Haatu,

are you thinking of going on a gap before attending uni?

Ku duuc your efforts inaar.

Hell no. A gap year is just another way of saying a year wasted of your life. A year you'll never get back again.

mate, go on a gap year to dhagaxbuur for goodness sakes. charity starts at home inaar and i reckon you'll make a huge difference to your people. what's really a waste of time is studying. anyways consider the option. you'll start uni far more experienced. i did my gap year in 2004 and because i had such a wonderful time....that's why i came back.