Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Sitaad

Sitaad is a genre of religious panegyrics which echo the religious voice of Somali women. It is undergoing a renewal and a departure from the traditional themes. This group from Djibouti are more focused on ‘Madxi’ (Praise of the Prophet – PBUH)

I could appreciate this as art form but I never understood why there's need for songs or a particular art dedicated to the Prophet (PBUH).And isn't inherent contradiction in what they are doing?

Wadani   

What is dambi about it? The music? Do u know there is a difference of opinion among classical sunni scholars on this?

I can't understand all the lyrics, but if they r going overboard with praise of the Prophet then I agree that it's dambi.

Wadani, I guess so.

Pakistan has entire genre known as Hamd songs dedicated to the Praise of God mostly. The late Nusrat Ali Fateh was leading figure in this genre but I liked the song below by Adnan Sami Khan. The morning TV started with this song

Jacpher   

Wadani;903512 wrote:
What is dambi about it? The music? Do u know there is a difference of opinion among classical sunni scholars on this?

I can't understand all the lyrics, but if they r going overboard with praise of the Prophet then I agree that it's dambi.

I wasn't talking about the music or the lyrics. It's the idea you're doing nabi amaan which cibaadah through entertainment and introducing all the stuff they do under the impression of doing nabi amaan and cibaadah. You see the music or the lyrics may or may not be dambi but the impression you're doing something good on behalf of nabiga or diinta when in fact you're doing the opposite is much greater I think. It's like robbing a bank with the intention of giving it away to charity for sadaqa.