Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

The Pain of Spain

Abtigiis   

The pain of Spain

Paul Fletcher

30 May 08, 02:59 PM

I love Spain. I love the food, I love the price of wine in restaurants, I love the fact that I don't feel like a complete imbecile when I'm there because I can speak a little of their language, and I love the fact you can watch top-flight football without your bank account taking a pounding.

But there are things about Spain that trouble me, peculiarities that defy reasonable explanation. One of them, for example, is the curious way in which some Spanish men drape pastel coloured V-neck sweaters over their shoulders.Another is the poor record of Spain's national football team. So many talented players but so little success at major tournaments equates to one of life's great imponderables.

The latter was very much at the forefront of my thoughts during a recent trip to Spain with my wife and her father.

I was keen to see whether the Spanish would be in the midst of the massive deluge of pre-tournament hype we normally get in England and I wanted to know whether they were confident their team would finally throw the monkey off their back.I tried my luck at a small seaside bar in Galicia. After the barman had told me that Real Madrid would prise Cristiano Ronaldo away from Old Trafford, I asked him about his hopes for the Euros.

The first half of his reply was sort of a grunt crossed with a resigned exhalation, the sort of noise that seemed equal parts contempt and despair.

"Spain? No chance," he said. "Not with that ***** in charge."

There may or may not have been expletives colouring the barman's answer, but the "*****" in question was Spain coach Jose Luis Aragones.

The coach's decision to omit Raul from his squad was very much headline news and, from what I could gather, it was proving to be a very divisive issue. The newspapers were full of talk about the places up for grabs in Aragones's squad while some of the features focused on how the tournament will showcase some extremely impressive young talent. No mention, though, of the likes of Wayne Rooney or Theo Walcott.

Also contained within the sports pages were plenty of adverts, promoting the kind of products we have come to associate with the beautiful game.

The days when footballers only advertised boots, balls, nylon tracksuits or, if they were really lucky and happened to be Kevin Keegan, aftershave are long gone.In the space of several pages in one Spanish paper I was told which car to travel home in ahead of the match, which beer to drink when the match had started, on which brand of TV to watch the match, and which make of digital camera to have at the ready if I wanted to record any memorable moments.

Disappointingly, though, I did not see a single life-size cut out of any players at the various supermarkets and shops I visited. At no point did the wife have the opportunity to say that so and so is a lot smaller than she expected...not that the other half is all that familiar with most of the Spanish squad.

Advertising shortfalls aside, I hope Spain do well in the tournament. I think they play attractive football, and I remember vividly the haunted faces on their supporters' faces after they crashed out to France in Hanover two years ago.But I'm not adopting Spain. In fact I'm not adopting any of the 16 nations in action at Euro 2008.

After years of being tied to England - and suffering the continual crushing disappointments that entails - I'm going to see how the wind blows in Austria and Switzerland and support whoever I like, when I like, in a thoroughly shameless manner.

Paul Fletcher is a broadcast journalist at BBC Sport Interactive. Please check our FAQs if you have any questions.

Abtigiis   

Spain could do nothing with the undisputed talents of Emilio Butraggenio, Michel, Jose Maria Bakero and Andoni Zubizeretta. Passing tirelessly entertains fans but this trademark of the Iberians will do very little to win matches. Portugal couldn't win it at home, for instance. Why? Psychology and pace. This two are lacking in both Spain and Portugal. So it will be a Déjà vu , yet again.

NGONGE   

^^ Portugal has no pace? Err, erm, eeen..is there any subject that you're good at, man? Ok, not good, just informed. :D

Abtigiis   

Yes, they have no pace in their play. Individually, the likes of Ronaldo or Nani, or Ricardo Quresema can run; but the passes in the midfield give other defences much time to regroup. Too much touch on the ball. Did you watch their latest friendly, and how it was difficult for them to get the ball to strikers? How do you define pace in footbal anyway? ma orod la isa sii daayaa, mise waa waa reaching the other's goal in few balls?

Is there anytime you can just comment without silly suffixes or prefixes, dear Ngonge.

NGONGE   

Of course it maybe just me, but in everyday speak, when someone says a team has no pace, they usually refer to the fact that this team does not have any fast players. Arsenal, for example, is over elaborate yet the team is full of pace. Barcelona too is fond of having too many touches in midfield yet they don't lack pace. For the problem you point out in both national teams, you will have to blame Deco and Fabregas. ;)

Still, at least we understand each other now with no prefixes, suffixes or red faces.

Abtigiis   

I saw Barcelona. It is not only Deco. Xavi and Iniesta are wonderful players. But the flamboyance of Ronaldinho and the tiring legs of Deco are the real problem. I think Arsenal's problem is up front. There is no real finisher. That bull Adebayor scores 1 out 9 chances. Why would anyone keep Gilberto Silva for instance? I am a fan of Brazil, and will never want Ronaldino in that team. The young Diego is by far effective. Of course a moment of brilliance from Ronaldino can change a match, but how often does that come these days?

For a football team, I think these things matter.

- It must play from the wings (at least out of 6 attacks, 4 has to come from a ball delivered by the full backs). The logic is simple. Defenders are facing their goal and the lurking strikers will have an advantage once the ball is delivered. That is why the success of Brazil largely depends on the quality of the full backs). When Dunga brought in Maicon and Gilberto (although a bit ageing) on the two flanks, Brazil are now more potent. Shame that Daniel Alves is right-footed and can't play along side Micon.

- To be able to penetrate the defence from its heart. Players like KAKA are good for this.

- To be able to shoot from outside the box. And make use of set pieces

- To alternate between long, and short passes.

- In the mid field, it is always who wins the 50-50 balls. And who passes less horizintally.

- In the defence, zonal marking is the best as a tactic. But to always ensure the two midfield defenders are aggressive and don't get excited to go up front too often.

Of course all this is known. But the tactics of when to mount pressure (big teams do that in the first 10 minutes and when the whistle approaches for the half-time/end of the game), and when to sit back and see what the opponent can do.

Still, you can get all the tactics and techincs right, and it will prove to be not enough. It is simply not your night. Imagine if John Terry haven't slipped in that crucial penalty in Moscow. What would the talk have been by now? KING Grant!

But I admire teams that play from the wings. The Dutch are the second best after Brazil. I would have preferred the defence of Italy, the midfield of Argentina, the wings of Brazil, and the attack of Germany. Of course the Top keepers these days are Ikar Casilas, Julio Cesar of Brazil and Inter, and Van der Sar. Cech is no more as good as before the head injury.