Sign in to follow this  
Killil5

Ubah Hassan wins Genius Awards 2012

Killil5   

Another Somali is on the news

Barbara Bush, Ubah Hassan and couple of other women win the Genius Award 2012 from Elle Magazine

UBAH HASSAN, 25

Ubah Hassan is a runway model and an Oxfam America Sisters on the Planet ambassador, and in February she launched Maji Umbrellas (maji means "water" in Swahili). Each $40 umbrella sold by the nonprofit provides a day's worth of clean water for 20 people in the Horn of Africa, where water shortages grow more desperate each year. "In North America, rain is something we don't want," Hassan says. "We hope with our umbrellas to [teach people to] say, 'It's raining again! Thank you, God, I have rain.'"—Elyse Moody

05-elle-style-genius-Rk2t8I-0712.jpg

http://www.elle.com/life-love/society-career/genius-awards-2012-5#slide-5

BARBARA BUSH, 30

In 2009 "we went into meetings thinking that people wouldn't really pay attention to us," says Barbara Bush (yes, daughter of Dubya), Global Health Corps' cofounder and CEO. "But everyone we met was like, 'Yes! We need to invest in our future's leaders!' " Three years later, GHC, which partners with local and global organizations to deploy young professionals on fellowships in impoverished communities, is sending 90 fellows into the field. "As dire as world health care has become," Bush says, "I'm not overwhelmed by the issues because I talk to people, our fellows, who are doing something about them every day."—Seth Plattner

01-elle-style-genius-0712-large_new.jpg

Somalia   

Xaaji she looks gorgeous, wow. Imaging taking her out on a date and then taking her back home to her father with a smile on your face. :D:D "I just made an invasion myself"

barbara-bush.ny4marriage.110131.jpg