Sign in to follow this  
burahadeer

Women-only pink metrobuses.

BELGİN TAN

Pink metrobus will make us all prostitutes

Have you heard that “pink metrobuses” have been suggested for Istanbul?

Metrobuses in Istanbul have proved to be excellently efficient ways of transportation (See the box below). Reserving my right to change my opinion completely the opposite way, the metrobus system in Istanbul, for the moment, is nice, clean, modern, fairly new and quick. Unsurprisingly, they tend to get terribly jammed at rush hours. As such, women-only pink metrobuses have been suggested for rush hour. The aim is for female commuters to travel comfortably, away from the “evil” of men.

Hürriyet photo

I’m quoting daily Hürriyet’s supplement Kelebek columnist Drita Draz, from her column the other Sunday (http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/pazar/20248625.asp): “The inventor of the pink metrobus could only be a member of the Women’s Branch of Saadet Partisi.” (The Felicity Party is a pro-Islamist, conservative party from whose ashes the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) was born.)

Drita Draz continues: “This person probably wanted a house with pink shutters in her first teen years but it did not happen. There could not be any other explanation than this.”

Her punch line is here: “Any woman who does not choose to ride the pink metrobus will immediately be deemed “loose” right there on the spot. If not so, then I know nothing about this country.” (Her name is an Albanian female name, so I assume she has Albania/Kosovo origins, hence the explanation for her “cool, outsider point of view.” I don’t know for sure. )

She wishes that all the metrobuses, whatever color they are, should put on condom ads, so that God prevents us from this kind of unnecessary production…

Back to the subject of women deemed “loose” on the spot. Turkish urban society is being formulated exactly as Drita Draz describes it. There are certain ways to act and certain ways to dress so that you can be a “decent” woman so that men respect you and keep their distance. In their language, it means that they do not dare harass you… (You know, the world turns based on the norm how much men get aroused). Oh God, this line of reasoning heads directly for dangerous waters… Not that I am afraid to swim in dangerous waters, but this is for a later discussion…

Back to the pink metrobus. Here are some web comments Drita has included in her article. It is these comments that keep my hopes alive for this society:

* kutup_zencisi: You should make the pink metrobus drivers wear Pink Panther outfits, so that the picture is complete! You have turned my dear Istanbul into Disneyland...

* ardaekim: If the pink metrobus has an accident, then the dead will go to a pink cemetery.

* semioticus: To suggest “Pink metrobus against harassment” is to say “Those riding normal buses deserve harassment.” In any incident, they will say, “She should have taken the pink one.”

* zekikayahan: The pink metrobus is not enough. There should be pink planes, pink trains and pink ships. Maybe we will also have pink courts so that child molesters get what they deserve.

* sgkacar: Instead of creating pink metrobuses to prevent sexual abuse against women, find the hornies and paint them pink.

Metrobus in Istanbul

Even though the metrobus system in Istanbul is constantly under fire for being the “wrong” system for the city, generally speaking, they are popular and meet the demand of the majority.

Nin-Yaaban;837777 wrote:
Post some pictures. The link is not working.

my link is working, might be your browser, couldn't do pictures.