Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

The Language Of War

NGONGE   

Throughout history, when a people suffered from war and civil strife a new set of words, expressions and proverbs were born. Take for instance the recent Arab Uprising in the Middle East and the sudden popularity of phrases such as Arab Spring, Arab Revolution and Qaddafi’s famous ZANQA (which means alleyway in Libyan but predicament in most other Arab dialects). These however, are mere words to describe the situation and, for the most part, are ones that will wither and die with time.

The more impressive consequence of war is those words and phrases that outlast the war itself and become part and parcel of daily vernacular. In Rwanda, the phrase “I heard it on the Radio” might not be one that hints at any good news (for obvious reasons). In South Africa, they had the phrase “one settler, one bullet” and its many variations (they still use it to this day).

But what about Somalia? What new phrases, expressions and sayings were born out of the war and carried on being used today? I mean, I know of the main words (such isbaaro, burcadbadeed or moryaan) but were these words in popular use before the war and what other words could any of you think of that signify that period in Somali history (yes, including SL)?

The one phrase that I find most fascinating and depressing at the same time is the (southern) phrase that goes “the dog ate it/him/her”! It paints a picture of the most dismal situation one can imagine. I personally don’t know if my own guess is true and that this phrase is one related to wars, deaths and the devouring by dogs of scattered corpses but that’s the image I get whenever I hear the phrase (yet it is still used widely and without a hint of revulsion!).

So, tell me, are there any other phrases that was created as a result of the Somali conflict which are widely in use today? Do people of PL say “markab baa ii muuqda” whenever they speak of hope and the feeling that something good is about to happen to them? Do those in SL replace the word ‘markab’ with ‘icteraaf’? How about those further south; do they lament with the words such “isbaarada la iga burburiyay” whenever they fall on hard times or lose a livelihood? How about the language of love and courting; any phrases like “qalbi qaxay” or “heleb hay’ad” to explain love in exile and free food?

Mise af Somaliga eye aa cunay? :D

NGONGE   

Mario B;836602 wrote:
I have been called f'aaqash by secessionists on YouTube.
:D

Yeah but that isn't much of a popular word these days. Very few would use it nowadays.

p.s.

Youtube does not count. It's the only place where you go to view a clip of a cute cat playing a piano only to find out that the comments section is full of Nazis arguing with blacks and muslims. :D

Abtigiis   

In Somalia, they vulgarized the famous song "bini aadamkuba, bilawgiisi hore, wuxuu baahi qabay, barashiyo aqoon, ayuu kaga baxee..." into something like:

"Maaddeey reerkoodu ba

bilawgii hore

Waxay baahi qabeen

Bililiqiyo boob

Ayey kaga baxeen"...

It can only be a war language!

NGONGE   

^^ It's educational for me and YOU. You never know, ElPunto, you might get to find out that some of the phrases you take for granted had their origins in the war. :D

Mario B   

The Youtube bit was meant as a joke. :D but that word is used all the time by my cousins of a certain political persuasion when referring to south Somalia. It's a reality that I attest to.

ElPunto   

^heh and now he's trying to tell me I will benefit in some way. I'm sure Ngonge has something in my mind for this thread and it can't be as innocous as he's trying to make it sound.

Carafaat   

no new words, but I suspect people use these words to express a diffrent charge: Gooni isutaag, Federalism, Maamul Goboleed, dastuur, madax banaanid, xuquuqal insaanka,bariga/galbeedka magalada, etc

'the somali problem'

remittance

refugee camp

civil strife

humanitarian disease

failed state

somali diaspora

regional administration

United Nation (deeqbixiyasha?) NGOs

self-determination

democracy (flawed)

legitmacy

mandate

sovereignty

meddling in the internal affairs of 'somalia'

external forces

'somalia' has now been without an effective central government for 21 years/since 1991

'Somaliland is Africa's best kept secret' lol - 'a relatively stable region in northern somalia'

somali peninsula

koonfurian

post-traumatic stress

'the somali people are difficult'

'the somali problem'

remittance

refugee camp

civil strife

humanitarian disease

failed state

somali diaspora

regional administration

United Nation (deeqbixiyasha?) NGOs

self-determination

democracy (flawed)

legitmacy

mandate

sovereignty

meddling in the internal affairs of 'somalia'

external forces

'somalia' has now been without an effective central government for 21 years/since 1991

'Somaliland is Africa's best kept secret' lol - 'a relatively stable region in northern somalia'

somali peninsula

koonfurian

post-traumatic stress

'the somali people are difficult'