Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

the 18th of May in Holland, a day of celebration and trend setting

Carafaat   

The first 18th of May celebration took place in Holland, back in 2001. It was the first time any Somali´s abroad celebrated anything since the collapse of Somalia in 1991. Soon after other countries like UK, USA and Canada followed celebrating 18th of May. And couple of years later other Somali´s in Holland started celebrating for the first time, 1st of Luulyo, 26th of June, 1st of August Puntland day, 27th of June Djibouti Day. This was followed by worldwide celebrations of Khatumo, Galmudug, Puntland, Xiin and Xeeb, Jubbaland parties, etc.

Since a couple years there is a new trend in Holland. Since a few years the 18th of May is celebrated in my city by all Somali's. It started exactly 4 years ago with a guy from the local Somali community center, who is from southern Somalia, handing out sambuus, baggio and other delicious goods to "celebrate the birthday of Sheick Isxaaq(AUN)". :D

At first many 'Somalilanders' were shocked and appalled by this mis-interpretation of that important date. They tried to explain it wasnt the Sheicks birthday but Somalilands birthday. the guy wished them anyway, happy birthday. Soon they welcomed this joing celebration and even raise the funds themselves, when they saw how ALL Somali's celebrated with them, congratulated them and wished them "happy 18th of May". today, I was wished happy birthday by many fellow Somali´s.

I even noticed that a large percentage of the people attending the Somaliland party are actually from other regions. My fellow reer Xamar friends like attending the party. And I started attending the 1st of Luulyo, no better Niiko then at the 1st of Luulyo, was my thought. And since last year I saw many ´Somalilanders´ started attending 1st of luulyo as well.

Happy Birthday, happy 18th of May, ya Somaliland. I hope you come to the 1st of Luulyo as well.

somaliland5.jpg

Lol you want me to get kicked out and people look at me like what is she doing the dhaanto in here. Anyhow no i'm not going to the party tomorrow i've got other plans. You enjoy yourself over there with your fellow brothers and sisters.

Juxa   

Ah Utrecht my old home town!

How I miss shawarma from kanaal straat or walking by the kanaal in oog in al

Juxa;831683 wrote:
Ah Utrecht my old home town!

How I miss shawarma from kanaal straat or walking by the kanaal in oog in al

I love Utrecht and Haarlem those are my favorite cities. You should definitely try to visit your home town during the maybe summer holidays or after :)

You sure are missing the turkish pizza and the cheese are you.