Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Time Magazine Cover-Provocative?

raula   

^^saw the cover yesterday & put the link on the medical/Public health on Camelmilk debate forum

...well, shame on Time to insinuate that those who don't breastfeed for longer than required periods aren't mother's ENOUGH :(

Blessed   

The media loves to have a good ol' bash at mothers every once in a while but you'd expect this sort of nonsense from the tabloids. That kid is so going to hate his mother for exposing him like that when gets a bit older. *cringe*

or.. maybe not.. LOL.

chubacka   

For some reason I felt queasy when I saw this, it seemed everything in the pic was wrong, the standing up (who stands up to breast feed?)

the chair, the woman's pose and the age of the boy. Everything about it is so unnatural when breast feeding seems the most natural, nurturing, private bond between a mother and her child.

They were probably aiming for a arresting, controversial image and this is what they achieved, yes I think it is provocative but if that's what gets people talking...

Yunis   

This is a media front for Time magazine. The Media loves to exploit these exhibitionist women who consider their body as art for obvious reasons..

the kid on cover's pose, and his army fatigues are give aways to what's to come. cause of this - He is gone get teased and bullied both in middle and high school. I see an other high school shooting rambage in the making

Malika   

The never ending obsession with breast! I dont see any controversy here.

There is nothing icky about breastfeeding - its natural and serving its purpose..

^ I agree and most people agree with you that there is nothing deviant about breastfeeding. However, the unsettling cover of a boy using a kursi to stand up so he can take pleasure at nipping the nipple of his mother is disturbing to say the least.

There is nothing natural about a grown boy sucking the living out of his mother... For heavens sake, he has teeth. I dont know who is taking more pleasure, the mom or the boy or maybe both?

You have to admit, the boy looks devilish.....

*Blessed;829098 wrote:
The media loves to have a good ol' bash at mothers every once in a while .....

You have upgraded your cable package, haven't you? Too much fox news would do that to you... LOL@mother bashing.....sounds like you

have been watching Hannity and Co....good for you.

Juxa   

I thought it was sick picture, nothing wrong with breast-feeding but this woman ixsaan uma eysan sameyn her son

a child should be breast-fed if possible up to age 2! not until uu kursi ku istaago. it is sad she would inflict such psychological damage on her young innocent child

NGONGE   

Baah. You people have not read The Grapes Of Wrath or you wouldn't be making a big deal of all of this. :D

Though I would have loved you to read the whole book, let me give you the final page anyway.

Ma looked. There were two figures in the gloom; a man who lay on his back, and a boy sitting beside him, his eyes wide, staring at the

newcomers. As she looked, the boy got slowly up to his feet and came toward her. His voice croaked. "You own this here?"

"No," Ma said. "Jus' come in outa the wet. We got a sick girl. You got a dry blanket we could use an' get her wet clothes off?"

The boy went back to the corner and brought a dirty comfort and held it out to Ma.

"Thank ya," she said. "What's the matter'th that fella?"

The boy spoke in a croaking monotone. "Fust he was sick—but now he's starvin'."

"What?"

"Starvin'. Got sick in the cotton. He ain't et for six days."

Ma walked to the corner and looked down at the man. He was about fifty, his whiskery face gaunt, and his open eyes were vague and

staring. The boy stood beside her. "Your pa?" Ma asked.

"Yeah! Says he wasn' hungry, or he jus' et. Give me the food. Now he's too weak. Can't hardly move."

The pounding of the rain decreased to a soothing swish on the roof. The gaunt man moved his lips. Ma knelt beside him and put her ear

close. His lips moved again.

"Sure," Ma said. "You jus' be easy. He'll be awright. You jus' wait'll I get them wet clo'es off'n my girl."

Ma went back to the girl. "Now slip 'em off," she said. She held the comfort up to screen her from view. And when she was naked, Ma folded

the comfort about her.

The boy was at her side again explaining, "I didn' know. He said he et, or he wasn' hungry. Las' night I went an' bust a winda an' stoled

some bread. Made 'im chew 'er down. But he puked it all up, an' then he was weaker. Got to have soup or milk. You folks got money to git

milk?"

Ma said, "Hush. Don' worry. We'll figger somepin out."

Suddenly the boy cried, "He's dyin', I tell you! He's starvin' to death, I tell you."

"Hush," said Ma. She looked at Pa and Uncle John standing helplessly gazing at the sick man. She looked at Rose of Sharon huddled in the

comfort. Ma's eyes passed Rose

of Sharon's eyes, and then came back to them. And the two women looked deep into each other. The girl's breath came short and gasping.

She said "Yes."

Ma smiled. "I knowed you would. I knowed!" She looked down at her hands, tight-locked in her lap.

Rose of Sharon whispered, "Will—will you all—go out?" The rain whisked lightly on the roof.

Ma leaned forward and with her palm she brushed the tousled hair back from her daughter's forehead, and she kissed her on the forehead.

Ma got up quickly. "Come on, you fellas," she called. "You come out in the tool shed."

Ruthie opened her mouth to speak. "Hush," Ma said. "Hush and git." She herded them through the door, drew the boy with her; and she

closed the squeaking door.

For a minute Rose of Sharon sat still in the whispering barn. Then she hoisted her tired body up and drew the comfort about her.

She moved slowly to the corner and stood looking down at the wasted face, into the wide, frightened eyes. Then slowly she lay down beside

him. He shook his head slowly from side to side. Rose of Sharon loosened one side of the blanket and bared her breast. "You got to," she

said. She squirmed closer and pulled his head close. "There!" she said. "There." Her hand moved behind his head and supported it. Her

fingers moved gently in his hair. She looked up and across the barn, and her lips came together and smiled mysteriously.

Read a summary of the story here:

http://www.gradesaver.com/the-grapes-of-wrath/study-guide/short-summary/

Read the whole book here: http://www.tiengiang.edu.vn/FileUpload/Vanban/File8128.pdf