Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

My take on the Londen Conference, Somalia and Somaliland's role

Carafaat   

As a Unionist er here is my take on yesterday's Londen event and its significance. Note that my opinion is only my opinion and is not authomaticly shared by others.

First of all this Conference main objective was not to find settlement for the somali political scores or but to secure international suppport and agree on a coherent approach of the international community in Somalia.

This Conference was about Somalia, and not Somaliland and you cant claim it was anyone illusion that it would be about Somaliland. However I find Siilanyo's attendence, not that it was for the first time in 21 years anyone representing Somaliland participated in any Somalia Conference. Therefor it is a historic moment and I hope it marks the beginning of a future relationship.

Siilanyo did the right thing by not engaging now in the current Road map for the clan states. Eventhaught many here regard or compare Somaliland with clan based states like Puntland, Galmudug and Ximan and xeeb. I can assure you that is not the polotical reallity and the international community seems to share that opinion. This Conference has only confirmed that fact, irrelevent that both have Land in the name.

The international community called on Somaliland to talk with TFG. If Siilanyo would engage in TFG would not have a lot of political significance as it period is ending soon. But it would show good will to the Somali people and Siilanyo would do that what has been promised by every single Somaliland President over the last 20 years. That Somaliland is always ready to talk when there is a goverment in Somalia. TNG always denied SL existence, TFG compared it to clan states, but today political reality in Somalia change to the positive.

Those calling for sincere Unity and the Union to be restored should see today as a positive step. But those calling for more clan states and disunity in SL in order to restore their form of a strange and whicked Unity, should see as a black day as the world clearly distuingishes real Goverments with leaders chosen by millions of Somali's and and clan representatives chosen by 66 clan representative's.

For me personally it matters little what the international community, what matters os what works. And clearly distuingshen is made and cant be ignored.

What is next:

Somaliland has openstanding issue's before engaging in any talks with Somalia. It should solvee its domestic issue's in Buhoodle district.

And the same goes for Somalia and the current clan states all claiming the same 2 regions(Puntland, Galmudug, ASWJ, Zimand iyo Xeeb and many more claiming these regions), all from Mudug and Galgaduud. I say put an end to these clans and work on a Central goverment with strong regions/states based on the old divers regions of somalia. If Bari and Nugaal would continue their cooperation under Puntland flags that is fine, but not reason for Federalism nor promote clan based states in the rest of Somalia(the other 11 more popated regions).

Duufaan   

this is not your analyst, it is your reaction of England confreres. It is like somebody losing game and hoping doing better next game.I have to give you credit for realizing that somaliland saga will be ending soon. You did tried very hard to explain the other landers the political reality and what was coming but they failed to understand. However, you are not realistic what in stake, you took very much same line as Boqor Buurmadow late interview. If somaliland is negotiating rest of somalia, it will be SNM clan vs rest of somalia. SNM clans must go moqdisho themselves and negotiate what is theirs. Khaatumo is already doing that. Khaatumo State is not only buhodle district, taleex, Xudun and Boocame are districts which controls Khaatumo state. Do not waste your time about this and come clean