Sign in to follow this  
Ahmey-jama

Divorce

i just wanna ask you guys a quick question...can you divorce a woman with two talaqs in one time? and also what are the waitingrules? how long are the waiting period? and if the waiting period are past, can u still remarry her?

Malika   

Asalaam Aleikum

As far as am aware two or three divorces in one does not exist in Quran, nor such permission given in hadith....as it states in surah baqarah verse 229 “ a divorce is only permissible twice: after that the parties should either hold together on equitable terms or separate with kindness” – this verse is self explanatory that there is no concept of three divorces in Islam, neither two in one. Talaq should be given once[talaq e-raji], then reconciliation during iddat period, then again if a second talaq [talaq hasan]is given – it is after the second divorce that a man can either retain his wife or get separated. The verse clearly states that there’s only two talaq and that the couple should either reconcile during the iddat or separate therafter.

If and when the iddat period has terminated, the talaq –e-raji / hasan will became an irrevocable divorce – in other words the wife is no longer his wife – she is free to marry another man [of course after the three months waiting period]....and if in the future, she is divorce by such a man, the ex husband can marry her.

So in summary: No such a thing as two talaq at once and when the iddat [three months waiting] period is over – there is no reconciliation or remarrying..

I hope it made sense, divorce is such a serious topic - I will urge you to seek advice from your local Imam - Insha'allah kheyr.

This is helpful to you and explains exactly the rules of divorce by a muslim scholar named Mufti Menk. He explains things in a simple and clear way for everyone to understand and also clears up famous misunderstandings about things. When it comes to marriage talk he is the best and gives indepth and detailed information. Personally i've learned alot from this lecture and his other lectures so I would recommend you to watch his whole 14 parts on the topic marriage if you find time. It will save you alot of drama and mistakes and misunderstandings for your next marriage.

I've only picked out the parts where he is talking about the rules of divorce since that's what you have asked for.

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

In islam you can only give 1 talaaq for divorce, after you have issued the talaaq once you have 3 months waiting period, In those 3 months you can take your spouse back for a max of 2 times and send her back to her family twice which is also called 2 divorces. If the 3 months are over and you haven't took your spouse back during the waiting period it becomes official and you're now officially divorced or if you took her back 2 times and send her back 2 times you're officially divorced now aswell. You can't remarry your wife unless your wife remarries another man without your interfering and consummate the marriage with that partner and later that partner divorces her. Only then you can remarry her. In islam it's not permissible to issue more then 1 talaaq so this two in one that you're talking about would count as this way: as soon as you said the first talaaq in that sitting of 2 that's when you're waiting period goes in immediately so as you see there is no 2 talaaqs in one sitting the second is getting disregarded because there is only 1 needed to activate the process.

Malika;782605 wrote:
Asalaam Aleikum

As far as am aware two or three divorces in one does not exist in Quran, nor such permission given in hadith....as it states in surah baqarah verse 229 “ a divorce is only permissible twice: after that the parties should either hold together on equitable terms or separate with kindness” – this verse is self explanatory that there is no concept of three divorces in Islam, neither two in one. Talaq should be given once[talaq e-raji], then reconciliation during iddat period, then again if a second talaq [talaq hasan]is given – it is after the second divorce that a man can either retain his wife or get separated.
The verse clearly states that there’s only two talaq and that the couple should either reconcile during the iddat or separate therafter.

If and when the iddat period has terminated, the talaq –e-raji / hasan will became an irrevocable divorce – in other words the wife is no longer his wife – she is free to marry another man [of course after the three months waiting period]....and if in the future, she is divorce by such a man, the ex husband can marry her.

So in summary: No such a thing as two talaq at once and when the iddat [three months waiting] period is over – there is no reconciliation or remarrying..

I hope it made sense, divorce is such a serious topic - I will urge you to seek advice from your local Imam - Insha'allah kheyr.

Darling I agree with everything you said except for that there are two talaaqs. I wanna clear that up before he gets the wrong impression about it or takes it the wrong way. There is only 1 talaaq and 2 divorces that's it and nothing else (from the waiting period when a man has the option to take his wife back 2 times, that's where the 2 divorces came from) Those 2 divorces can't be counted as a talaaq on it's own and adding up on top of the first talaaq. Issuing more then 1 talaaq in one session or separately over a period of time is an innovation made by people and is islamically prohibited and not permissible. Therefore we need to be cautious of when to use talaaq and how to use it since the final outcome of it is irrevocable.

Blessed   

Heedhe, if the questioner is already thinking about being able to remarry her-- why not work hard (I mean really, really hard) at staying married? Divorce ain't easy.