Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

Mo farah wins in Glaskow the 1500 M

Mo Farah helps Great Britain win in Glasgow

Page last updated at 16:37 GMT, Saturday, 28 January 2012

E-mail this to a friendPrintable version

Highlights - Mo Farah leads Great Britain to Glasgow win

Mo Farah began Olympic year with victory in the 1500m at the indoor Aviva International Match in Glasgow.

Britain's 5,000m world champion battled through in three minutes 39.03 seconds ahead of Kenya's Agustine Choge.

There were wins for fellow Britons Jeanette Kwakye and Mark Lewis-Francis in the 60m, but Hannah England was edged into second place in the 1,500m.

Great Britain won the team event ahead of Russia, Germany, a Commonwealth Select squad and the United States.

Farah was made to fight hard by Choge, overtaking the Kenyan with 300m to go and holding on in a sprint for the line.

ANALYSIS

Continue reading the main story

Mark Butler,

BBC athletics statistician

Our sprinters had the match won even before Mo Farah stepped on the track, with victories in both 200m and 60m races. I feel that the standout performance was that of Jeanette Kwakye in the women's 60m. Not only did her five points put Britain into a winning lead, she beat a good field by two clear tenths, which is a huge margin for an international 60m race. Four years ago she won the corresponding race in Glasgow in a similar time. Later that year she went on to take the World Indoor silver medal and reach the Olympic 100m final, so the omens are good for 2012

"This crowd was amazing and I'm really happy to win, they got behind me and I couldn't believe how much noise there was," he told BBC Sport.

"I had to stay on the inside line. I'd been told by my coach to try and run the shortest distance and keep in front of him."

Kwakye ran a blistering 60m in 7.26 seconds, finishing two tenths clear of second-placed Yasmin Kwadwo of Germany.

"It's nice to perform like that because I'm still in heavy training, it feels good," said Kwakye.

"Compared to last year I felt a lot more confident in myself, the work I'm doing and my fitness. Technically we've been working on so many things, so my coach and I will pick that apart."

Lewis-Francis then beat Kim Collins by one tenth with 6.65, saying: "I kind of got my adrenaline from Jeanette. I've been up and down in training and I'm happy with that. If I can stay injury free then the world's my oyster."

England earlier looked impressive as she clocked 4:25.11 in the 1,500m, despite seeing Germany's Denise Krebs grab victory with a lean over the line to finish in 4:25.09.

"It was a lot of fun," said England, who has been training in Kenya with a group of athletes that includes Farah.

Laid-back Farah unaware of Olympic schedule

"I didn't want to go that early but I was back in fifth and I thought I'd just go. I've not done an awful lot of speed work and I'm excited about running the trials and then Birmingham and being a lot sharper."

After a slow start from the British athletes there was unexpected success in the 200m, as Danny Talbot beat the experienced and multi-medal winning Collins, before Margaret Adeoye set a personal best of 23.68 in the women's race.

"I was hoping to win," said Adeoye. "I thought 'I feel good' and I was just going to go for it, and that's what I did."

Talbot enjoyed his first international victory as he won in 21.17 ahead of Collins, saying: "It's such an honour to be on the track with him; he's a legend in athletics."

Joe Thomas played his part in a surge of strong British results by winning the 800m in a personal best of 1:47.35, and Helen Clitheroe was well satisfied with a time of 8:45.59 in the 3,000m - although she finished some distance behind training partner Helen Obiri of Kenya, who ran 8:42.60.

Continue reading the main story

Every step hurts again, the same thing as last year

Andy Turner

"I'm very happy with that," said Clitheroe. "Obviously I wanted to win but I've run faster than I did last year. To open with my second fastest time ever is really good."

And asked about the chances of her competing at next month's World Indoor Championships, she added: "My coach and I are going to have a discussion about that after Birmingham, but if I'm in shape and think I'm going to be in contention for one of the top positions, I definitely want to go there."

There was a worrying failure for European and Commonwealth 110m hurdles champion Andy Turner in the 60m hurdles.

He struggled with a long-standing Achilles injury as he finished fifth, and last, in 7.74 behind Russia's Konstantin Shabanov (7.54).

"Every step hurts again, the same thing as last year," said Turner. "Every time I land off the hurdle I can feel it and you can't hold your position. Every step is painful. I don't know what to do.

"I'm going to have to see the doctors. They were really good last year, they sorted it out."

It is an interesting paradigm Mo finds himself in, being trained like a sprinter by the likes of Michael Johnson along with coach Salazar. Working on weights and fast twitch muscle fibres in the hope of giving him that explosive speed over the last couple of hundred metres. I saw the race yesterday and was surprised Mo could win even whilst stepping down, coupled with the fact that he ran himself to the ground in his Kenyan camp. This showed as he was a bit leggy, but persisted because Mo is fighter and a winner. Great start to 2012, with a bit of luck he can stay injury free, thats all that matters at the moment. Kenny B is looking a bit worse for wear, but as we all new the double Olympic and 10km, 5km world record holder is still the man to beat. Looks like we are in store for a great year of athletics.

mo-farah-008.jpg

Just finished watching the Prefontaine Diamond league meet in Eugene. Very crafty race by Mo winning with season leading time in 5k. Koech second with Rupp and Bekele 3rd and 4th respectively. This marks the return of Bekele and i predict he will go from strength to strength. Mo should not run too many races and choose wisely otherwise he might not have enough in the legs for the Olympics. Still world class performance to beat a world class field.

raula   

^^LOVE the prefontaine ..wished i lived there. N'ways

Saw Mo Farah along w/USA's (kenyan original) Benard Lagat once compete & was fantastic to watch the Camaraderie between these two powerhouse athletes. They were training together as well. Well, the kenyan's are here! they've slowed a bit in the last races..but i hope London redeems them again. I hope they can hold on to the steeplechase as always :D

raula   

2012 Entry / Start Lists

*The 2012 preliminary entry list will be continually updated below as each event is released.

Read more: PreClassic.com - The official Prefontaine Classic website - Start Lists - 2012 Entry / Start Lists http://www.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?event_id=120#ixzz1wwDjqZGi

***this is what i meant by the Kenyan's are here :D the 10K

10,000m KENYAN OYMPIC TRIALS ROTICH, LUCAS, KEN KIPCHOGE, ELIUD, KEN BETT, EMMANUEL, KEN TANUI, PAUL, KEN MBISHEI, TITUS, KEN BETT, JOSEPHAT, KEN KIPTOO, MARK, KEN KIRUI, GEOFFREY, KEN KAROKI, BITAN, KEN KIGEN, MIKE, KEN MASAI, MOSES, KEN MASAI, DENIS, KEN KIPROP, WILSON, KEN KOGO, MICAH, KEN CHELIMO, KEVIN, KEN

Blessed   

LOL. That's so unfair. How is that allowed? Oo Kenyati badanaa meeshu, do they send awhole village? hahahaha.

Abwaan   

*Blessed;838757 wrote:
LOL. That's so unfair. How is that allowed? Oo Kenyati badanaa meeshu, do they send awhole village? hahahaha.

Blessed. Nin ganacsade ah oo Soomaali ah baa beryihii Afka Carabiga ka baro raadiyaha oo aan Carabta galnay haddaan Soomaali nahay ayaa waxaa la weydiiyey Af-Carabiga ma taqaan? Markaas buu yiri "Oo maxaan kale oo wax ku gattaa?" Hadda Kenya maxaa kale oo ay ku shaqaysataa aan ka ahayn oroddada:D

Blessed   

Dee inagana maxaa inoo diiday. Carabiga iyo orodka hadaan isku darsano tijaar al caalam bay noqon lahayn. :D

if he ran for somalia he wouldnt have made any money but he would become legend like cabdi bile. i mean they named the fastest car in somalia after him. the car that delivers qaat.

still proud of him though

raula   

Blessed-rest assured there are few collegiate somali's that i have seen-though nothing close to the caliber or Abdi Bile & Mo Farah & the likes. Huuno somali iyo faan...some think nin baahan baa ordaa. But it takes a village to raise a runner indeed. Its funny coz somalidu qabayaalad bey ku dhiiqdaan.. comparable to their kenyan counterparts where some qabiils (or races/sect's) are known for their Running (long distance) strength.

*****By the way..betcha i know the relatives of some of those 10K runners:D ( I was once adopted by the Kalenjin) I even have a kalenjin name. They are cool peoples :D