Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

killing for Heaven: Hassan Turki's Autobiography

Abtigiis   

Dear Reader, this book of 347 pages is worth reading. You can get the book from Al-Amazon.com, but below is a foreword by Abtigiis and Tolka.

Foreword

by Abtigiis & Tolka

“Killing for Heaven” is a tale of extraordinary valor and unyielding commitment for the cause of ending immorality and vapid materialism in Somali society. Appalled by the proliferation of individual rights, growing influence of women in family matters, and abundance of distracting entertainment gadgets such as dishes and DVDs, Sheikh Hassan Abdulli Hirsi, a.k.a, Hassan Turki, takes on the evil men and women of his country in a jihad that would define the sanity or insanity of Somalia for over two decades. He knew the risks, the rough roads ahead, and the ramifications of his selfless struggle, but believed it was what God required of him. It casts the Jihad of long seasons. It encapsulates the vivid vicissitudes of enchanting wars...boring peace...pain…betrayal...sadness…opportunities…risks…setbacks…triumphs…breakthroughs…and failures.

Set in the lush green fields of Kudha and Kambooni, this deeply moving book is the chronicle of a devout sheikh’s struggle to impose Islamic order and purity over secular filth and de-humanizing modernism. The story starts when a saintly virgin girl visited Sheikh Hassan just before the Isha prayers in the month of Shacbaan in 1982. It was a dream, but one he vividly remembers to this date. In the morning, the Sheikh bathed before performing the routine morning prayers for he saw semen on his phallus. But it was an encounter that left an indelible conviction on the part of the sheikh of his crucial, near-ethereal role as the earthly agent and fulfiller of God's command.

In one episode, the sheikh narrates the pain of betrayal by those who chose the path of God for personal gains and later embraced the poisoned chalice of the infidels. He castigates the two-faced Sheikh’s who went to fetch water but never came back, like the cheats who while chewing Qat with you, borrow your money and escape by pretending they are only going to the washroom. That chapter was the low of his fulfilling righteous life of Godly struggle, with the Shamo Hotel bombing the high of it. Confronting a rain of bombs and bullets from the sky, without cloud cover or timeouts offered by thunder, the Sheikh tells his delights in facing adversity, saying the “assured paradise of those who strap themselves with faith have the power of expelling fear from the heart of the believer”.

Reflecting on his age-old fight against secular zealots, Sheikh Hassan points the reader to the insincerity of those who decry religious warriors in Somalia. “The same war and fire which invites deep obloquy for a man who fought for the cause of God, triggers jingle bells for a man who fought for the cause of Ethiopia.” Sheikh Hassan says, in a barely disguised rebuke to those who hail Abdullahi Yusuf’s life of war as a life of struggle and stamina.

Unable to marshal a shared position on the search for resting place for his Azania tribe, the Sheikh soon found spirituality as a more fulfilling camouflage to advance a lifelong ethical ambition of crippling societal excesses and foreign interventions. It is an epic story that lampoons the parochial Puntland perspective that one’s foreign guests are more sacred and acceptable than the others; even against the fact that the one deemed acceptable is indeed of a different faith unlike the sheikh’s Middle Eastern helpers who espouse the tawxiid.

The book also brings out the witty side of this man of God. That is evident in the chapter where he equates Abduallhi Yusuf’s famous “I fired the first bullet and I will pacify Somalia with the last bullet” to the utterances of a scorned village woman, who copes with the bitterness by hurling insults at God and man in the village’s communal well. Here is an ordinary believer whose efforts heavenwards elicit many questions in all of us, whether religious, cultural or tribal, but whose gallantry and grandeur cannot be questioned.

The story starts when a saintly virgin girl visited Sheikh Hassan just before the Isha prayers in the month of Shacbaan in 1982. It was a dream, but one he vividly remembers to this date. In the morning, the Sheikh bathed before performing the routine morning prayers for he saw semen on his phallus.

:D :D ... Now that is the book I can read. Will he elaborate this further ?? will he not hiding anything at all ? .....

Now it would be interesting to read what is going on with the religious circle that covers Al-Ittihad, Ikhwan, fake-Jihadists, Alshabab and of course the mother, Al-Qaeda.

NGONGE   

Going by the age old tendency of Somalis copying each other, I fully expect other similar memoirs to follow.

Sharif’s: The teacher that became president; a tale of guns, books & airplanes

Sheikh Aweys: From Al-Ittihad to Al- Shabab; a mixture of Xaq & Baatil

Siilaanyo: The Uf Monologues; still on the campaign trail

Faroole: The Imam’s Complete Sermons; how federalism began with SSC, Atom, Raas Caseer, etc

Sharif Xasan: In the Thick Of it; Xisaabta ha la igu daro

Ghandi: To Conjure Up A State; as, an, Yaa?

Riyaale: I did It My Way; waana so noqon doona

Al Shabab: Die today, live tomorrow; An Islamic Way Of Life

Somalia   

NGONGE;756618 wrote:
Going by the age old tendency of Somalis copying each other, I fully expect other similar memoirs to follow.

Sharif’s: The teacher that became president; a tale of guns, books & airplanes

Sheikh Aweys: From Al-Ittihad to Al- Shabab; a mixture of Xaq & Baatil

Siilaanyo: The Uf Monologues; still on the campaign trail

Faroole: The Imam’s Complete Sermons; how federalism began with SSC, Atom, Raas Caseer, etc

Riyaale: I did It My Way; waana so noqon doona

Al Shabab: Die today, live tomorrow; An Islamic Way Of Life

:D

Abtigiis   

NGONGE;756618 wrote:

:D :D I like these two.

NGONGE   

The names of these leaders need looking at too. There used to be a time when Somali names used to state the obvious; a disabled man would be called curyaan. A one eyed man, cawar. A blind one, indhoole. Now, the theif is called Sharif. The murderer xasan dhaahir and the one that invites war to his land, Ghandi! :D

Abtigiis   

:D :D

Waryaa Rayaale's book is not what you said. It is what General Duke said. "Mugging the mugged: Rayaale from NSS to President of SL" something like that. :D Taas ayaa uga eg.

NGONGE   

^^ Can't be as vulgar as Duke and put it all outthere, saaxib. "I did it my way" is a subtle enough way of saying the same thing. ;)

I think the title of Xasan Turki's book can only be a "A Prisoner of Heaven" unlike his fellow Prison folk who have given up Xasan is truly down for the struggle.

NGONGE   

Carabtu waxay ku maahmaahda: Man xafara xufratan la akheehi, waqac feeha (he who digs a hole for his brother, falls in it). I now see that A&T was trying to use me as a rocket against General Duke. Hadaba ha kaa saarto warya! :D