Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Dareen UF Ku Bilaabmay....

NGONGE   

Perception, convention and common sense are complex things as well as being very simple. Not being an expert on the subject or the origins of common sense, I can’t possibly explain the process in which something that makes sense becomes common, in other words, common sense! However, I know of many things that make sense to me but would not be understood by the majority of people. Likewise, I’m sure there are things that most people agree on but I personally would find hard to fathom.

It seems that common sense is (usually) some sort of unwritten agreement whereby everyone instantly recognises an act, thought or opinion to be a sensible one and therefore all vouch for it. Then again, there are occasions where common sense is forced upon us by government, media or anyone in a position of authority. For example, we go to the Zoo and read the sign “Don’t feed the animals” and instantly accept that feeding Zoo animals is not an accepted practice (i.e. not common sense). Of course, in such cases we all understand why it is common sense to do as we are told. In fact, we might even see an explanation that accompanies the caution which tells us why it is wrong to feed the animals or smoke or even commit murder (e.g. the animals will get fat; smoking damages the lungs; murder may result in retribution). Fortunately, most people grow out of false instances of “common sense”, or else, I would still be under the impression that if you swallow an apple seed a tree will grow in your stomach (yet, when I was a child many of us were of the opinion that this was true).

The most interesting thing about common beliefs (or sense if you want to stretch the meaning as I have) is how elastic it becomes when dealing with language (expressions and words). So, fifty years ago the use of the word “bloody” in polite company was considered to be a vulgar and rude swear word. This was common knowledge, and sense. However, today, nobody would bat an eyelid should you bloody choose to bloody assault our ears and eyes with your bloody use of the word bloody. What happened? Well, the word seems to have evolved and its use became more acceptable.

So what of Somali “common sense”? Is there such a thing or do we make it up as we go along? It is clear that most of what we, as a people, regard as common sense is mostly derived from religion (not that most of it is followed of course). In addition, there are many peculiar cultural practices which we all (or rather our ancestors) believed to be total common sense. An old (and for me, much lamented) Somali tradition about women eating the food leftovers of men has now (mostly) been consigned to history. Yet, it was considered the height of common sense at the time and mothers would advice their newlywed daughters to adhere to it (for god knows what sensible – at the time- reasons). Another (much alive one) is concerned with what parts of a sheep a person can eat. Again, here too, there is a universal agreement on the issue and therefore it is considered common sense.

Far be it for me to claim to be an authority on the Somali language but here too the idea of common understanding, usage and application is unclear. Words that were considered beyond the pale in the past are now thriving and used by most people in carefree and nonchalant ways. Expressions that used to be offensive are now acceptable and those that were acceptable are offensive. Like the chaotic nature of Somalia itself, the language too is flailing in an uncontrollable way. The accepted norms and traditions keep giving way to the convenient, expedient and modern demands of our unique circumstances. The lines are blurred, the customs are discarded and goal posts keep on moving. There used to be a time when a Somali man uttering words or expressions that are (traditionally) the property of women would be ostracised or ridiculed, but not today!

It seems that we are all looking for some sort of guidance and direction. What is acceptable and what is not? What is common sense and what isn’t? We are so lost that even the great bastion of the faith that we used to rely on for the vast majority of our conduct and opinion-making has given way to arbitrary ideas and concepts. We are now left to make up our own uninformed opinions, untested practices and borrow our customs (and new traditions) from others. Our intellectual class, our comedians, authors, singers and all those that would pour their wisdom into that great well that stores what should be our common sense are not there to do their jobs (or maybe lack the sense themselves). So who should we look to for help here? The silent Sharif? The crazy Imam?

I think I’ll stop waffling now and get straight down to the reason for this thread. It is about a word. A very short word that consists of two letters. A word that I always associated with young girls and children. One that I never dreamt a grown man would ever utter (in public at least). However, not all men are equal and, sometimes, when leaders utter unattractive words they legitimise them and make them trendy and acceptable. So when president Siilaanyo said “Taariikhda Faysaloow waxaad ka heshay ummadda taageerooyinkii aad ka heshay ee aad codka kaga heshay ee aad ku wada dhacday ee ummaddu ku diiday ee sanka kaa qabsatay ee aad qabyaalad ku hadashay ee Hargeysa anigaa leh aad tidhi oo ummaddu kugu diiday oo uf ku tidhi... .” I knew that Alpha’s favourite word has finally arrived.

What next? Hoognay? Ba’nay?

Abtigiis   

:D :D :D looooooooooooooooooooool@ the title!

Dareen uf ku bilaabmay

Silaanyana beeray

Bidaartii faysal

Bilaawaha gaadhay

Warkan baryahanba

Beesha ku baahay

Siyaasad basanbaastay

Madaxweynihii nagu beeray

Haduu..ah.. bogan waayey

Bilaahiyo yaab leh!

NG, you said something I always feel about myself here.

I know of many things that make sense to me but would not be understood by the majority of people. Likewise, I’m sure there are things that most people agree on but I personally would find hard to fathom.

I think I am weird. Many things people do doesn't make sense to me. Many things I do doesn't make sense to the people closet to me. I am happy there are some who feel like me.

By the way, it was common sense for me to assume I can call Ngonge and he will answer his telephone. It is no longer common sense. :D

NGONGE   

^^ I'm not always stuck to my desk. You know, receptionists to flirt with, meetings to fall asleep in, etc.

Dareen AGA ku bilaabmay

Abtigiisuna beeray

Bidaartii Zack na

Bilaawaha gaadhay

Warkan baryahanba

Beeshooda ku baahay

Qabyaalad basanbaastay

Dadkii isku beeray

Haduu..ah.. bogan waayey

Bilaahiyo yaab leh! ............ :D

Abtigiis   

I think the last para actually sullied the educational value of this piece. You should have spoke about Silaanyo's Uf elsewhere so that it doesn't stop us from reflecting from the rest of the writing, which is sublime.

But something that never made sense to me is xiddigaha uu isku taxay ngonge intuu laaluushay LST. :D

D'ada Gabayga doodiisa lugu ma deg dego

Dacalka Madaxweynaha waxa haysta dad aan diireyn eh

Duul aan Dawladnimo lugu so dabaalin iyo asluuub diimeed eh

Dacwada faisal waxay daba joogtay Muftaxii Xirsi Dalam ka siiyey dhe

Dugaagta Halyega hadalkisa diirad u dhigtay uff dhe

Abtiigisna dubaha uun ba ku dhaca sidi dibi la rarto oo kale dhe

Showqi   

NGONGE;749850 wrote:

In addition, there are many peculiar cultural practices which we all (or rather our ancestors) believed to be total common sense. An old (and for me, much lamented) Somali tradition about women eating the food leftovers of men has now (mostly) been consigned to history. Yet, it was considered the height of common sense at the time and mothers would advice their newlywed daughters to adhere to it (for god knows what sensible – at the time- reasons). Another (much alive one) is concerned with what parts of a sheep a person can eat. Again, here too, there is a universal agreement on the issue and therefore it is considered common sense.

Markaan yaraa musqusha in aan ku dhex hadalno waa naloo diidi jiray. Iminkana musqusha dhexdeeda waaba lagu sheekeystaa. Dadka qaarkoodna waabay ku dhex heesaan.

Hooyaday barigeey yarayd dumarka shaaha waa loo diidi jiray. Habeenkiina cusbada lama kala qaadan jirin

NGONGE   

^^ It's a punctuation and sound problem, he's never sure where the full stop should go or when to raise his voice or lower it :D

"Aniga..oo..AH..madaxweynaha Somaliland Axmad maxmoud Siilaanyo..WAXAN..idin idhi..INAAN..anigo..madaxweynhiina..AHAY..ictiraafka na wuu soo socda..WAXA..iigu balan qaday..Melez Zenaawi... Kaambiinka xisbiga Kulmiye..BARIGEE..aan wadnay..WAXAAN..idiin ku balan qaaday..INAAN..anigu..MARKAAN..madaxweyne noqdo..ictiraaf..KEENO..labaatan..SANNO..ayaan..O...dagalamaynay ictiraafkan dhaw..WAXAAN..idin ku hambalyiinaya..in u..ictiraafka..so dhowahay..ARRINTA..abaaraha na..WAXBAAN..ka..qabaan doona. WA BI LAAHI...tawfiiq"