Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

Palestinian bid for statehood

Palestinian leadership sick of the sheekoxariir called "Peace Process" will go to the UN in a bid to secure their statehood this week.

But, considering the strength of the opposition, and the US's veto, this bid is destined to be defeated.

The Palestinian issue could have been resolved ages ago, had it not been the silence and the abhorant indifference displayed by the Arab nations. If Palestinians had the same vocal and willing supporters as the state of Israel has, then the world would definitely have taken this issue more seriously long ago.

In despair, I am reminded the old poem:

Gacal nimaad ahaydeen; Hadii laga Gol roonaado

Oo Gacantu inay hiiliso; kuu Gar noqonweydo

ileen waa Galgalataa; sidii Gaajo nimayso!!

NGONGE   

^^ Arab leaders not nations. The Arab nations have been rising and rising lately saaxib.

This thread reminds me of:

1235846349arafat_at_un_74.jpg

The PLO represents the Palestinian people, legitimately and uniquely. Because of this, the PLO expresses the wishes and hopes of its people. Because of this, too, it brings these very wishes and hopes before you, urging you not to shirk the momentous historic responsibility towards our just cause.

For many years now our people has been exposed to the ravages of war, destruction and dispersion. It has paid in the blood of its sons that which cannot ever be compensated. It has borne the burdens of occupation, dispersion, eviction and terror more uninterruptedly than any other people. And yet all this has made our people neither vindictive nor vengeful. Nor has it caused us to resort to the racism of our enemies. Nor have we lost the true method by which friend and foe are distinguished.

For we deplore all those crimes committed against the Jews; we also deplore all the real discrimination suffered by them because of their faith.

I am a rebel and freedom is my cause. I know well that many of you present here today once stood in exactly the same resistance position as I now occupy and from which I must fight. You once had to convert dreams into reality by your struggle. Therefore you must now share my dream. I think this is exactly why I can ask you now to help, as together we bring out our dream into a bright reality, our common dream for a peaceful future in Palestine's sacred land.

As he stood in an Israeli military court, the Jewish revolutionary, Ahud Adif, said: "I am no terrorist; I believe that a democratic State should exist on this land." Adif now languishes in a Zionist prison among his co-believers. To him and his colleagues I send my heartfelt good wishes.

And before those same courts there stands today a brave prince of the church, Bishop Capucci. Lifting his fingers to form the same victory sign used by our freedom-fighters, he said: "What I have done, I have done that all men may live on this land of peace in peace." This princely priest will doubtless share Adif's grim fate. To him we send our salutations and greetings.

Why therefore should I not dream and hope? For is not revolution the making real of dreams and hopes? So let us work together that my dream may be fulfilled, that I may return with my people out of exile, there in Palestine to live with this Jewish freedom-fighter and his partners, with this Arab priest and his brothers, in one democratic State where Christian, Jew and Muslim live in justice, equality and fraternity.

Is this not a noble dream worthy of my struggle alongside all lovers of freedom everywhere? For the most admirable dimension of this dream is that it is Palestinian, a dream from out of the land of peace, the land of martyrdom and heroism, and the land of history, too.

Let us remember that the Jews of Europe and the United States have been known to lead the struggles for secularism and the separation of Church and State. They have also been known to fight against discrimination on religious grounds. How can they then refuse this humane paradigm for the Holy Land? How then can they continue to support the most fanatic, discriminatory and closed of nations in its policy?

In my formal capacity as Chairman of the PLO and leader of the Palestinian revolution I proclaim before you that when we speak of our common hopes for the Palestine of tomorrow we include in our perspective all Jews now living in Palestine who choose to live with us there in peace and without discrimination.

In my formal capacity as Chairman of the PLO and leader of the Palestinian revolution I call upon Jews to turn away one by one from the illusory promises made to them by Zionist ideology and Israeli leadership. They are offering Jews perpetual bloodshed, endless war and continuous thraldom.

We invite them to emerge from their moral isolation into a more open realm of free choice, far from their present leadership's efforts to implant in them a Masada complex.

We offer them the most generous solution, that we might live together in a framework of just peace in our democratic Palestine.

In my formal capacity as Chairman of the PLO I announce here that we do not wish one drop of either Arab or Jewish blood to be shed; neither do we delight in the continuation of killing, which would end once a just peace, based on our people's rights, hopes and aspirations had been finally established.

In my formal capacity as Chairman of the PLO and leader of the Palestinian revolution I appeal to you to accompany our people in its struggle to attain its right to self-determination. This right is consecrated in the United Nations Charter and has been repeatedly confirmed in resolutions adopted by this august body since the drafting of the Charter. I appeal to you, further, to aid our people's return to its homeland from an involuntary exile imposed upon it by force of arms, by tyranny, by oppression, so that we may regain our property, our land, and thereafter live in our national homeland, free and sovereign, enjoying all the privileges of nationhood. Only then can we pour all our resources into the mainstream of human civilization. Only then can Palestinian creativity be concentrated on the service of humanity. Only then will our Jerusalem resume its historic role as a peaceful shrine for all religions.

I appeal to you to enable our people to establish national independent sovereignty over its own land.

Today I have come bearing an olive branch and a freedom-fighter's gun. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat: do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. War flares up in Palestine, and yet it is in Palestine that peace will be born.

Source: UN website.

Carafaat   

arafat.jpg

Yasser Arafat, Allah ha u Naxariisto, Janada ha ka waraabiyo.

Its been exactly 10 years ago that I was so fortunate to meet Chairman Yasser Arafat. I was part of a political youth delegation send to Palestine and Israel to investigate the situation of young people in the region after the start of the second intifatah. We met him that night in the Presidential residence in Gaza city. He came to Gaza City after the Israeli's bombed the Gaza Police headquarters and a number of other buildings that day. In that same morning I saw him on CNN visiting the bombed locations and telling the world what crimes the Israeli's where committing. In the afternoon we went to visit those locations were the buildings used to stand and nothing was left from it, except for a big whole on the ground.

The Palestinian Ambassador who was travelling with us called the staff of Yasser Arafat, and luckely for us he was able to arrange a meeting that same night. I remember how kind, friendly and wellspoken he was. He told us about forbidden weapons,(dumdum) bullets and (implosive)bombs the Israeli's were using in Gaza. After he handed a report written by a Danish NGO on those illegal bombs the Israeli's were using, he requested us to tell the world about what we have seen there. After the meeting he went on the picture with everyone of our delegation and gave us little personal souvenirs made for the Christian Jubilee year in Bethlehem.

I will never forget my visit to Palestine and meeting Yasser Arafat. What I have seen there, and the cruel injustice committed on daily basis against the Palestinian is indescribable. Belief me, the media not even reports 1% procent of what is done to the Palestinians. What is worse, how the world(Arab and non-Arab States) closed its eyes for the suffering of those people. I pray that one day they will be free to determain their own fate.