Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

Crisis in Puntland. Cause and solutio?

A_Khadar   

People never chose him to begin with. Bunch of bribe takers chose him, and he will remain on seat as long he has money to bribe unless another briber who has more money comes on shore..

Carafaat   

Governance or the act of governing is not just about the competencies of the leaders. Its about the collective vision, expectations and the structure, systems and policies in place to perform and achieve those collective goals.

Somehow every discussion turns in to a discussion about the "strong me", Somali's are so much used to.

uchi   

Seriously, why do so many people hate Farole?, he is properly the most qualified leader at the moment holding a position in Somalia, I know for a fact that the guy doesn't get any sleep, the amount of stress involved trying to please every party is unbearable. You guys should be more constructive in your criticism, his term is almost over. Somalia is stuffed, we seriously just need to work together. You can't expect him to do everything, with the limited resources he has.

And could the Somaliland supporters tone it down, as Somali's we are a joke in the eyes of every country in the world, your arrogance just makes you look like a fool, I pity you honestly.

We need stop pointing fingers and wounding ourselves. It doesn't help us, for gods sake.

Thankful   

I agree, it's easy to point fingers. For secessionists they will never say a single negative thing about their leaders as they see this as a sign of weakness. This is why they have never achieved anything tangible in their quest for recognition, because they are unable to constructively criticize.

However, as people from Puntland State of Somalia, we can't remain silent when blatant lies are being made.

Like I have already mentioned, I think we all know that Al Shabaab did not take over an entire neighborhood in the Puntland controlled side of Gaalkaayo; despite the government (and particularly President Faroole's) assertion that they did.

Although it may seem convenient to blame Al Shabaab, in reality the only thing this lie is really stating is that Al Shabaab can now openly enter Puntland and take over entire communities. More so, that their capabilities have increased.

Some one needs to tell President Faroole that misinformation like this will not work in this day and age. Where we can receive factual updates on what is really happening. So parading poor individual’s days later in front of the cameras and claiming they are Al Shabaab won’t be bought – particularly to other governments and agencies (who he is undoubtedly trying to impress).

A_Khadar   

Thankful;745116 wrote:
I agree, it's easy to point fingers. For secessionists they will never say a single negative thing about their leaders as they see this as a sign of weakness. This is why they have never achieved anything tangible in their quest for recognition, because they are unable to constructively criticize.

However, as people from Puntland State of Somalia, we can't remain silent when blatant lies are being made.

Like I have already mentioned, I think we all know that Al Shabaab did not take over an entire neighborhood in the Puntland controlled side of Gaalkaayo; despite the government (and particularly President Faroole's) assertion that they did.

Although it may seem convenient to blame Al Shabaab, in reality the only thing this lie is really stating is that Al Shabaab can now openly enter Puntland and take over entire communities. More so, that their capabilities have increased.

Some one needs to tell President Faroole that misinformation like this will not work in this day and age. Where we can receive factual updates on what is really happening. So parading poor individual’s days later in front of the cameras and claiming they are Al Shabaab won’t be bought – particularly to other governments and agencies (who he is undoubtedly trying to impress).

You're right on the above..

Samafal   

Puntland is facing challenges no doubt, but crisis that is bit of exageration.

Puntland is under attack from Alshabab wether you believe or not. They have been killing people in the last three years in Galkio, Bosaso and other main cities in Puntland. In particular Galkio they are hiding behind clans so as to find protection from these clans while continuing with their assasinations and bombings. Especially they target those clans that have a traditional grievance from the state and other clans. This is history repeating itself. Remember, in Mogadishu they were protected by Indhocade and Sh Xassan Dahir's sub clan and we know what happened and the rest is history.

Puntland can not affrod to let extremism and violent few to disrupt its peace and security and needed to take action. But Faroole's answer lack strategy, vision and proper leadership.What happened in Garsor is point proof. He needn't to attack instead should have used other strategy, for example, addressing some of the grievances by bringing the elders of the said clan on board, fighting these criminals with same token of tactics that they're use ie using their clans to apprehend suspects and giving assurances that there will be fair justice for any one improsoned. And that's why the blame of what happened in Garsoor solely lies with him and he should change tactics becouse its not working but hurting.

uchi   

Thankful;745116 wrote:

What proof do you have they are not Al Shabab, honestly nobody here is an Al Shabab member or has contacts with their leadership do they? Maybe you provide some proof before you start accusing someone of being a liar.

It has become a game in the past 6 months or so on these forums to mock Farole, maybe the haters buy themselves a plane ticket and visit Garowe and have a chat with the man, his door is open to all Puntlanders & Somalilanders alike, then come back here and tell us if he needs a brain transplant like someone said in previous post.

Thankful   

uchi;745149 wrote:
What proof do you have they are not Al Shabab, honestly nobody here is an Al Shabab member or has contacts with their leadership do they? Maybe you provide some proof before you start accusing someone of being a liar.

It has become a game in the past 6 months or so on these forums to mock Farole, maybe the haters buy themselves a plane ticket and visit Garowe and have a chat with the man, his door is open to all Puntlanders & Somalilanders alike, then come back here and tell us if he needs a brain transplant like someone said in previous post.

Because common sense tells us that Al Shabaab is incapable of taking over Gansoor. Never in their history have them been able to conduct such a feat; in a place like Gaalkaayo, where every single person in Puntland would pick up arms to defend the city (like history has shown).

If this was Al Shabaab then why were the elders dispatched to quell the situation? Look, this issue started when authroties attempted to arrest a man. Whether his is arrest was justified for being a member of Al Shabaab - or not is under debate, regardless, his tribe’s men came to his defense.

Like I’ve already mentioned several times; let’s say you are right and it is Al Shabaab, are you saying that Al Shabaab for the first time have now become so strong that they are in Puntland controlled Gaalkaayo and no longer need to resort to deceptive and violent tactics and then hide. That they are now so bold that they can actually hold entire neighbourhoods and win over the hearts of some Puntlanders?

You might think people are attacking Faroole for saying that he is wrong for blaming Al Shabaab for fighting Puntland forces. However, I think it looks far better to rightfully say that this unfortunate incident was a breakdown of leadership and communication between the government and a particular group (which every Puntland administration has been guilty of). Rather then, making the bogus claim that Al Shabaab is now in control of parts of Puntland.

But if you want to say that this was Al Shabaab then I guess the U.S cable form a year and a half ago has been proven correct,

Al-Shabaab appears to be making greater inroads in Puntland by exploiting these local grievances against "Faroole." For example, in January a key sub-clan leader admitted that he knew the identities of all of the extremists in his sub-clan but did not want to turn "his boys" over to "Faroole" because "Faroole" was sidelining the sub-clan. The elder also rationalized that al-Shabaab, unlike in south-central Somalia, was mostly targeting government officials , suggesting that he did not see a great threat to his sub-clan as such.

While al-Shabaab has long had a presence in Puntland and al-Shabaab leaders certainly have an agenda beyond confronting the Puntland

administration, the apparent increasing ability of al-Shabaab leaders to conflate their agenda with local grievances in Puntland is a worrying development.

Thankful, it is true that there are elements of AS that operate in Galkacyo. Their aim is to kill and cause mayhem wherever they can, just like they are doing in the south. They are the main suspects for the majority of the killings/assassination that have taken place in Galkacyo in past 3 or so years. It has been alleged that members of this group hide certain area of the town.

Now, fast forward to the incident that took place last week. In about three weeks ago an elder from Garsoor by the name of "Walloore" was gunned down while prayed a Taraawiix. Few days later three men were arrested hiding in a house in the neighborhood. After interrogating the men, they have confessed to have a link with AS and they have named a man who's an agent of the AS in Galkacyo. This is still an allegation and the men have not been charged as of today. Police has been dispatched to arrest the man, by doing so all things have gone wild.

Now did emotions and clan grievances get in the mix, absolutely yes. Did the police and the PSF ( or what ever they are called these days) mishandle the issue, maybe. But to blame Farole for targeting a clan( i know you didn't) or deny AS involvement would be grav injustice to the issue at hand. The issue in Galkacyo has been brewing for quite sometime now, and I believe the way Farole handled it has been the best so far. You can say it's the only city where he has given the locals, specially their elders a weight on what to say in Galkacyo. He has been consulting with them in every step he has taken in Galkacyo. Reer Galkacyo iyaka maalinba lahaa kan deji, kan ma rabto waa Al-ittixaad and etc.

Tuhun iyo kala shaki ayay ku jirtaa Magaaladu. Waxaa looga bixi karaa waa wada shaqeyn.

As for those who are calling Farole's head. I say, GIVE the man a credit for what he has done right. I think his good deeds overweight the bad policies or his gaffes. He has revived PL's paralyzed institutions, he has made great success on fighting piracy and bringing PL image back. He fought for PL's share in the TFG and the influence it should on Somalia's affairs. Of course he has his shortcomings and what not, but he's not a failure by any measure. Yes he has short temper as he's been accused of, but he's not mad man either.

The rest of other cheap shots against him are nothing but lies propagated by NGONGE ;)

NGONGE   

^^ Talyaanigo markay caytamaan maxay yidhaahdan, saaxib? Ma fa faroole? :D

(I have avoided this thread so that Thankful does not complain about SL people sticking their heads in and all that but someone called my name dee).

It's a fact that Farole fumbles a lot. Today, he does not have as many problems as he did a few months ago and (for the most part) he seems to keep his mouth shut. However, it is Farole we are talking about here and he is bound to say/do something foolish soon. If PL has a problem it is nothing but him. The solution, of course, is easy. Aqool qowli haada....

NG, war dee adigu you're an enemy of the state, so whatever you say about its leaders will not count. Wax fahan. You have interest in its down fall ( bit harsh) but i am going by your "clan is everything" mantra. :)

NGONGE   

^^ Never the downfall of PL, saaxib. A lawless PL will only spill over to my side of the world dee.

No, I prefer a "Cade" PL to a crazy Faroole one (because I believe that the Imam will sooner or later turn the state into a lawless one).

That was a bit harsh i know. Let just say that you and the majority of slanders in here have a soft spot for Adde. Some of you believe that he was a friend of SL. Of course that's not true, but whatever it's that make you lot hate Farole is all telling of something you guys don't like about the policies he plays rather love for PL. Comon now!

NGONGE   

^^ I prefer Cade because he was toothless and presented no danger (friend or foe didn't matter much). The Imam is a danger to PL, SL and all surrounding areas. War I even prefer Abdullahi Yusuf to the Imam. At least there were no kneejerk reactions, crazy announcments or unexplainable actions back then.