Sign in to follow this  
Saalax

Puntland Clan Rebels kill 4 people and injury 15 in Ufeyn District

Thankful   

This is what the government is willing to acknowledgement!

SOMALILAND: Police reveal 2010 annual crimes – surge in rape, murder

http://somalilandpress.com/somaliland-police-reveal-2010-annual-crimes-surge-in-rape-murder-19050

HARGEISA (Somalilandpress) — Somaliland’s police enforcement chief, Mr Abdullahi Fadal Aiman released the annual crime report on Wednesday (3rd November) to local media and the public during a ceremony commemorating the 17th anniversary since the creation of the national force.

Mr Aiman paid tribute to his men and women in uniform by saying they have remarkably executed their mandate since their creation in 1993 and contributed the overall stability in the country.

The National Police Force was created after the harmonization of warring militants that removed the Siad Bare totalitarian regime.

Each of the country’s 6 administrative regions have a police commandant and commissioned officers that maintain law and order in the districts.

The police under these divisional and station commands carries out an array of tasks that include criminal investigation, patrolling, traffic management and the protection of leaders and foreign dignitaries under the UK-funded and trained Special Protection Unit (SPU) wing.

The force also includes a small number of anti-riot personnel.

Even though the police comes under the Minister of Interior, the force functions completely independent and works closely with the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) and the military.

The latest figures comparing a 12 month period from November 2009 to November 2010 show surge in crimes in Somaliland’s urban towns. There have been significant rise in the number of reported sexual offences, murder and road fatalities.

There has been 5.2 per cent increase in murder cases from last year figures; 64 people were arrested for the 81 cases reported for murder, 17 cases have not been solved.

There has been sharp surge in sexual related crimes (rape), 186 cases were reported, an increase of 19.24 per cent. About 206 people were accused, 162 arrests were made.

Somaliland police during the 17th anniversary celebration

Road toll in the country has been recorded for the first time; there were 1496 road accidents throughout the country which led to 148 fatalities, 1279 injuries, 410 cars damaged and 182 livestock were killed.

In a country where the consumption and selling of alcohol is illegal, the police destroyed about 2,221 litres (586 gallons) of alcohol, making 21 arrests.

For the first time in Somaliland’s history, six cases were reported as suicide related.

The police also recorded 8 cases of boarder babies–infants abandoned by their mothers, in total two have died while six others are in foster care and receiving medical care.

In total, Mr Aiman revealed in the past year the police handled 18,343 cases; 5015 of them brought in front of a court, while 8584 cases were resolved through mediation, further 1788 cases were judged or imprisoned. He added 3511 cases were dismissed or lacked insufficient evidence while 1223 cases are currently under investigation.

The latest figures show the rise in crime in Somaliland’s urban towns in particular the worrying levels of rape, road fatality and murder. Unless the new regime tackles the ongoing problems, Somaliland could become the new Johannesburg of the Horn.

-------

I'll take a break from here during the holy month - Ramadan kareem to all!

Saalax   

The Garowe Pirate Adminstration is widely known for raping IDP's and Member of Parliaments also assaulting young girls.

Irin: SOMALIA: Rape “a major problem” for Bosasso IDPs

Published on July 28, 2011

The number of reported rapes in camps for internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Bosasso, in Somalia’s self-declared autonomous region of Puntland, is increasing and rape has become “a major problem”, says a civil society source.

“We are seeing more and more women who have been raped in the displaced camps,” said Hawa Ali Jama, of We Are Women Activists (WAWA), an NGO.

“We have recorded 30 women raped in October 2009 and 45 in November,” she said. These numbers did not reflect the actual number of raped women, because many did not report it, she said, for two reasons. First, the family may not want the case to be reported “because they are afraid that it will reflect badly on them”. Second, the woman may be afraid the perpetrator may come back and harm her or her family.

Jama said there were at least 24 IDP camps in Bosasso and rape cases had been reported in most.

She said rapes were committed either by men from the host community or other IDPs. Among the IDPs there were men who took a fancy to a girl and wanted to marry her but if they were rejected, “he may return at night to rape her; he will then be forced to marry her, according to tradition. That was his aim all along.”

Unsafe haven

Many of the displaced fled violence in the south, particularly the Somali capital, Mogadishu. Ambro (not her real name) came to Bosasso, the commercial capital of Puntland, in 2005, seeking a safe haven for her family. A month ago her teenage daughter was attacked near the IDP camp that is their new home in Bosasso while Ambro was out finding work in the town.

“It was around 11:30am when a young man raped my girl,” the 35-year-old mother of five said. “He tied her up and then raped her.” By the time the mother returned she found her daughter bleeding.

WAWA staff took her to the doctor. “She is recovering now but it is hard for a young girl to recover from something like this,” said Ambro.

“I never thought it would happen here. It was for fear of something like this happening that I fled Mogadishu,” she explained. “It seems no place is safe for us.”

Breaking the silence

In the same month and in the same IDP camp two men raped a young girl. “These people survive on very little and they supplement it with work they find in the town. Now they are afraid that when they go to find work they may get raped,” Jama said, adding that it was becoming one of the biggest security concerns for the women.

Jama said her group and others working with the displaced had started a campaign to encourage women to report cases of rape. “We have volunteers in the camps who interact with the women and encourage them to come forward.” Her group was providing counselling and medical help.

The authorities are also taking the matter more seriously. “We have a very good relationship with the local authorities and once we identify the culprit they are arrested and taken to court.”

The volunteers and staff stay with the survivors throughout the process. “We are there with them until the rapist is brought to court and convicted. This has encouraged more women to come forward,” she said. A campaign of awareness to encourage families to abandon the tradition of hiding rape cases has helped to “break the silence”, she said.

“We will keep fighting until we put a stop to these violations,” said Jama. Ambro said she did not know what she would do now. “I cannot take my children back to Mogadishu, because it is not safe but I don’t feel safe here either. At least here I have the support of the people like WAWA.”

http://manabolyo.com/?p=60

Saalax   

This is also widespread in the capital of Puntland(Garowe). Shockinly even young boys are targetted.

A doctor from Puntland General hospital then addressed the issue of rape, telling the audience that it was a wide spread problem in Garowe, and that young girls, young boys as well as elderly women were victims.

http://www.so.undp.org/index.php/Somalia-Stories/Puntland-judges-get-training-on-HIV/AIDS.html

Nina Fox   

This Puntland Vs Somaliland online drama is pitiful runtii. The funny thing is the "real" Puntland and Somalilanders don't hold this much animosity and venom agaist each other back home. They happily co-exist within each other and inter-marry.

What saddens me the most is that that you guys come across as educated and smart, Maasha Allah. You are the future leaders of our nation and unfortunately your sparkling personalities are overshadowed by these cheap digs y'all throw at each other.

But hey, what do I know, Im just the new girl, observing walaalaheey oo wax aa fa'ido laheyn isku heysta.

My 2 pesos :)

Carafaat   

Agree with Nina.

Diffrences in political vieuws and interest should not be used to create animosities that dont exist. There is politics and this aint it.

Thankful   

We know who is posting threads whenever a problem occurs somewhere else! I agree, with me I was going after the hypocrisy of why mention one side’s dilemma but remaining completely silent when their tribal enclave reports the exact same news. For instance the same UNDP site reports:

Lifting the taboo on sexual violence

The Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) in Somaliland...............In the first six months of 2009, SARC dealt with 65 cases of sexual violence against women and men.

http://www.so.undp.org/index.php/Somalia-Stories/Lifting-the-taboo-on-sexual-violence.html

Regardless this is ridiculous, secessionists on this site have to hide their internal issues and magnify Somalia's problems in order to con people into thinking they are different.

I do agree, Somalis back home hold no animosity.

Carafaat   

Thankfull I understand you just responded to the negative news posted by certain SOL'ers.

But aside from this, what do you think of the oil exploration and what effect it could have on stability?