Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

EXCLUSIVE THREAD: 18th of May, The 20th Anniversary of Somaliland

18 may a very important date in our history i remember like it was Yesterday one of the Most Happiest days of my life i was not expecting it to be honest but when the news reached me From burco that the independence of the former british Somaliland protectorate was once again declared independent as an independent country i prayed two rakcas to thank Allah the most merciful.

The month of may is a great month for us Somalilanders 27 may the day the SNM entered burco 1988 31 may the day the SNM entered Hargeysa ,29 may 1988 SNM entered cadaadlay and mandheera 18may the day the Former State of Somaliland withdrew from the failed union with Somalia. 15 may 1993 the day President Cigaal was elected in Borama

Thankful   

Xaaji Xunjuf;717598 wrote:
The month of may is a great month for us Somalilanders 27 may the day the SNM entered burco 1988 31 may the day the SNM entered Hargeysa ,29 may 1988 SNM entered cadaadlay and mandheera 18may the day the Former State of Somaliland withdrew from the failed union with Somalia. 15 may 1993 the day President Cigaal was elected in Borama

I always wondered, why did a small element of secessionists from the triangle wait so long to declare independence? I mean if (as some claim) defeated Siad Barre's regime in 1988, why wait until 1991 to claim independence? More so, why is it after Siad Barre's regime collapsed in Mogadishu 1991 did the secessionists finally claim independence?

It is as if the goal for fighting Siad Barre was not for so-called "independence" because independence movements will surely declare independence immediately (and not three year later after a government collapsed).

It is as if the goal was to get rid of Siad Barre and bring someone new in. However, only after a few years did it change to independence when it was obvious Somalia's federal government was finished!

I have heard Egal did not want to break away, but felt he had no choice after the Federal Government was destroyed!