Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Is Yemen the next Somalia, or the next Tunisia?

NGONGE   

^^ They hate him too. As for Mubarak, it's more likely that he'll go the way of Sadaat rather than through a revolution. But, with stations like Al Jazeera stoking the flames one really never knows.

As the group passed me I joined them.
Emotions were so high and passions so great it was almost tangible. I've never seen men so angry, yet so happy to be expressing their anger.

I walked next to girls in hijabs (Islamic headscarves) screaming for the downfall of Hosni Mubarak. I walked behind
men begging God for freedom

In the middle of the tumult, I spotted two Muslim men praying in the middle of the sidewalk.

I soon heard screams from behind me and realised that the police had sent tear gas canisters flying into the air. Everyone began to run away from the source.

Fortunately, I avoided the full force of the gas but my fellow protesters were not so lucky. Screams for water filled the air as men dropped to their knees, covering their faces. I saw one little girl furiously rubbing her eyes as tears streamed down her face.

I stayed for another hour, on the sidelines. I felt different about Egypt as I walked away, like
the political stagnancy had finally come to an end
. As I walked across a bridge to Zamalek I could still hear chants coming from Tahrir,
"Horreyya, Horreyya, Horreyya!"
- "Freedom, freedom, freedom!

Courtney Graves, American living in Giza