Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Mighty Mo tops Euro rankings

N.O.R.F   

Bacons5026092006.P01.jpg

IT APPEARS that there will be no let up in the constant improvement being made on the track by Mo Farah as he produced yet another stunning performance in Zagreb last Thursday WRITES LUKE WILSON.

The Newham & Essex Beagles star has firmly established himself as Britain's top distance runner and by taking third in the 3000m at the Hanzekovis Memorial meeting, he smashed his personal best for the distance by over seven seconds.

Taking on a world-class field has become second nature for Farah and he proved that to be the case once more in Croatia.

In an extremely tactical race, Farah placed himself amongst the leaders after the five-lap mark, rubbing shoulders with the world's best.

As is often the tactic of the 23-year-old, Farah moved himself to the front when the pace of the race slowed.

He maintained this lead going into the final 200m but the Kenyan duo of Shadrack Korir and Joseph Ebuya closed the gap before overtaking him, with Korir winning in a time of 7mins 37.50secs.

Farah finished well ahead of World 5000m champion Ben Limo, in a clear third place in 7mins 38.15secs, a time that not only smashed his previous best that he set in the Norwich Union Grand Prix in Gateshead in June but also moved him to the top of the European rankings for this year.

Speaking after the race, Farah was understandably delighted at another great display in what has been a fantastic breakthrough season for the Somalia-born star.

"I'm really pleased, I knew I was in personal best shape and the conditions were good," he beamed.

"It is a good feeling to take seven seconds off my PB.

"I have some more races planned, possibly on the track. It depends if a suitable opportunity arises."

Meanwhile former British number one distance runner John Mayock was equally pleased by Farah's display in Zagreb and was evidently impressed by his progress over the past few seasons.

"That was a good run by him," Mayock enthused.

"He has had the talent for a good while, but I think his body was pretty fickle before.

"He seems to have matured over the last couple of years and hopefully he has the belief to take the Africans on.