Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

A puzzle!

NGONGE   

With this war in Lebanon and our collective (expected) indignation at events unfolding before our eyes, an unanswerable question kept on flashing in my mind, Hezbollah?

Watching various Arabic news programs during this conflict, I’ve come across several of those shows where the viewers are invited to call and air their opinions and views on this conflict. The majority of the callers are (not surprisingly) on the side of Hezbollah. In fact, many of them phone to specifically praise Sayid Hassan Nasserallah (the Hezbollah leader).

Still, in the midst of these phone calls, there were also some that phoned to dissuade their Sunni brothers from supporting Hezbollah (because they’re Shia of course). These are not very loud calls and are almost always drowned by the emotional wave of anger that is engulfing everyone else. Nonetheless, it is something that displays the cracks in the Muslim world (even when under the severest of attacks from elsewhere).

The western media, for its part, is doing its utmost to highlight this division in Lebanon, Iraq (see claims of civil wars, etc) and even Saudi Arabia! Many Western observers attribute the silence of the Saudis, Egyptians and other gulf countries to this chasm between Sunni and Shia Muslims. However, judging by the Arab media’s coverage, it seems that the Arab street(as it were) is overwhelmingly on the side of Hezbollah! Are they being duplicitous (are we?) or have those that regard the Shia as infidels always been an irrelevant minority?

Then again, maybe this is a kind of truce from ‘domestic’ squabbles until the greater enemy is dealt with!

Where do you stand on this issue and how do you reconcile your beliefs/principles with what is going on in Lebanon?

Originally posted by NGONGE:

have those that regard the Shia as infidels always been an irrelevant minority?

I think that has always been so. In that light, you would forgive me if I assert there is no puzzle to the current Muslim street sentiment.

Given how Muslim interests are converging today I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on the seemingly fundamental difference between sunni-shia divide. And although I can see how it could be a source of wonder for many of us still there are clearly more elements of unity than there are of disunity.

NGONGE   

Saudi scholar rallies support for Hezbollah

By Mariam Al Hakeem, Correspondent

Riyadh: A prominent Saudi scholar yesterday called for the support of the resistance in Lebanon and Palestine regardless of differences over "schools of thoughts."In a statement sent to Gulf News, Shaikh Abdul Rahman Al Omar said the mujahideens (holy warriors) in Lebanon deserve the support of Arab and Islamic countries regardless of "schools of their thoughts" because they are fighting the enemies of Islam and assassins of the prophets."Muslims should be supported in general, against their enemies no matter the schools of their thoughts are. Because the confrontation of the enemies - the Israelis - is more important than any sectarian or factional differences," Al Omar said.He also called on Muslims to refrain from instigating any sectarian tendencies especially during these delicate and crucial circumstances being experienced by Muslims in Lebanon and Palestine.Al Omar appealed to countries with diplomatic or commercial relations with Israel to sever their ties and expel Tel Aviv's diplomats. He also urged Arab and Islamic countries to open their borders to "let the mujahideens pass and fight the Zionists." "It is high time for the Islamic and Arab countries to allow the youth to fight the Jews in the battle of honour and dignity in Lebanon and Palestine," Al Omar said.
Al Omar's statement flatly rejected an earlier call by another scholar urging Muslims to refrain from helping the Hezbollah because of the "Shiite school of thought.""This party should not be supported nor fight under its banner and supplicate for its victory," Al Gebrain said

Gulf News

See why I'm puzzled? :confused:

N.O.R.F   

Very good question that has had people thinking.

The powerful Sunni states have stated their stance by simply criticising Hezbollah bt not doing the same when Hamas did the same thing a week or two earlier.

It is obvious what is going on here. Hezbollah are trained in Iran, not just in milatary tactics but they also have to attend lessons on Figh. This came from a captured Hezbollah fighter.

The west is fanning the flames of division, while the Arab governments are worried about Iran more than they about Isreal. Deplomatic ties with Isreal are so far advanced most people underestimate it. There is more freindship and truct with Isreal than Iran.

This war and Hebullah's losses are good news to the big Arab states.

Its a tough one to call but the outlook of Iran in trying to destroy Isreal and spelling it out compared to that of sitting in lavish complexes talking about Emaritisation or Saudiasation while there people are struggling to understand what work really entails are completely different types of leadership.

Nur   

NGONGE bro.

The current war in the middle east is a nationalist war, not religious, its about the prisoners, shebca farms, and soverignty of Lebanon, Israel's expansionism, and America's right wing Armagaddon prophets of major confrontation with heathens starting with Lebanon as a springboard to Iran, the real target in the opresent game, Lebanon is a secular country shared by many religious persuations who have reached the Taif pact to live in peace together and share power and resources equittably.

Religion is playing a role of convenience at present to boost morale of fighters who are said to be martyrs by the arab media. The current geopolitical black hole draummed up by weopons manufacturers is sucking many entities in a regional war of the unkown order, emotional war, propoganda and usage of religion for political ends are all in the making of this mess in which the innocent are paying unproportinal price.

Nur

Khayr   

Originally posted by Nur:

NGONGE bro.

The current war in the middle east is a nationalist war, not religious, its about the prisoners, shebca farms, and soverignty of Lebanon, Israel's expansionism, and America's right wing Armagaddon prophets of major confrontation with heathens starting with Lebanon as a springboard to Iran, the real target in the opresent game, Lebanon is a secular country shared by many religious persuations who have reached the Taif pact to live in peace together and share power and resources equittably.

Religion is playing a role of convenience at present to boost morale of fighters who are said to be martyrs by the arab media. The current geopolitical black hole draummed up by weopons manufacturers is sucking many entities in a regional war of the unkown order, emotional war, propoganda and usage of religion for political ends are all in the making of this mess in which the innocent are paying unproportinal price.

Nur

You can call it political saviness and knowing one's abilities and limitions. Alhamdulillah, they have been successful thus far.

The incidents that sparked this war has little to do with Nationalism and more to do with helping out the oppressed and poor palestenian muslims, who are being punished for electing a certain party. A party whom the people favored but the western hegemonious, greatly detest.

Fi Amanillah

Nur   

Kheir

You write:

The incidents that sparked this war has little to do with Nationalism

Unless you are not reading the news, The incidence has nothing to do with this war, Israel was preparing for such an opprortunity over a year. Israel does not create opportunities like this, but when it finds one, it uses better than anyone else in the region, personally, I learned never to believe in the Media, either way, too much undrelying agendas in every broadcast or news print, but events unfolding before our eyes are like a mystery movie to me, the conclusion will tell the story in time, daangada ii soo dhiib!

Nur

Rahima   

Where do you stand on this issue and how do you reconcile your beliefs/principles with what is going on in Lebanon?

Of course I remain united with my brothers and sisters for at the end of the day they profess Laa ilaaha ila Allah. That carries more weight than anything else. That said however, I remain angry with the Muslims. I still feel that they bring all these problems on themselves by not only diverting from their religion (Allah is The One who grants success/victory and He does so to the Muslims when they return to their roots), but by also not employing strategies for long-term success. It seems that all we care about are the battles and not the war. An incident like this sparks every few months, we all stand up angry but sadly we all slowly return to our ways.

Also, I know it may seem heartless to a degree, but as far as Lebanon is concerned, in some ways I feel that the attacks on them are a result of them turning a blind eye to the plight of their brothers across the border. For years all Lebanon cared about was the building of their state (which is not a crime) and ignoring the massacre of their brethren. This mind you is not alone to Lebanon, it’s only a matter of time that we all pay the price for ignoring our brothers and sisters.

NGONGE bro.

Nur

Ya Sheekh Nur,

Lilahi darak!

true what you said in the above paragraph, but when a push comes to shove, The Sunni rich goverments(Saudis,Jordan,Emirates,Egypt)they suppose to stand up for the American/Isreal aggressions instead dispensing a political fatwa based by the kings/Emir's orientation propaganda. now Iraq is burning, lebanon is burning and palestine God help them, they have been slaughered like a sheep in a farm. So what is the point of Sheekh Bin Jibin's Fatwa - its nothing more than narcarah from the old rift of Sunnah and shia a centuries ago - it's not necessary today to preach such a thing. and that is why Imam Shaafici changes his Fiqeh from time to time, to rise to the occasion, so Imam Ahmed bin Xanbal.

Nur   

Shar-Ma-Arke brother

The only major Islamic event in current times that won my heart is the Islamic Courts of Somalia, not that they planned that victory, but it was given to them by Allah as a reward for being honest to the cause of Islam and hence the service of their people.

For 16 years no media, Arab or otherwise cared for the Somali warlords and their genocide of our people, not belittling the Zionist slaughter in Lebanon and Palestine, but they are no match for the distruction and death we went through with the International approval of the warlords of Somalia. We should not be distracted with regional wars of dubious nature when a clean cut victory is at hand that needs our undivided attention to safeguard it with all of our resources. I posed a question on these boards soliciting advice for the ICU, and very few took the time to respond, and regional wars, be my guest, a sellout show of the Media.

How many Nomads are volunteering to go back home and clean up our country? how many are going to offer help? Charity starts at home, let us put our energy were it makes a difference that we can live with.

Nur

Castro   

^ Ya Sheikh Nur all these struggles are interconnected for they're all a fight against oppression. That many of us are interested in the world around us, particularly the plight of fellow Muslims in Afghanistan, Lebanon, Iraq, Palestine and elsewhere does not deprecate our happiness with the Union of Islamic Courts (UIC) and their extraordinary achievements in the past few months. Specifically, the ICU must ensure the hard earned victory over the US-backed killers does not go to waste. As Xiin posted elsewhere, military adventurism in stable areas of the country will unravel all that has been gained in the past few months. My advice? Strengthen the areas that are now under full control. When that is acheived, the UIC won't have to fight anyone (e.g. Abdillahi Yussuf or his Ethiopian army) alone. The entire Somali people will be on their side. They need to prove themselves worthy governors and that can't be done with fighting alone.

We should not be distracted with regional wars of dubious nature when a clean cut victory is at hand that needs our undivided attention to safeguard it with all of our resources.

All wars nowadays are nationalistic and/or regional wars fought over ever more scarce resources (land, water, minerals or oil) with religion thrown in to rally the troops. Somalia's is no different. Now that we're on the same page, cheer up atheer. The victories are coming in one after the other. :D

Nur   

Castro bro

You advice the courts:

Strengthen the areas that are now under full control. When that is acheived, the UIC won't have to fight anyone (e.g. Abdillahi Yussuf or his Ethiopian army) alone. The entire Somali people will be on their side. They need to prove themselves worthy governors and that can't be done with fighting alone.

Good advice indeed, however, the events unfolding as town after town falls for the courts all the way to the gates of Xaradheere and Galkacyo, are telling a different story, the courts are not a centrally controlled organization, its more like a Professional Association of like minded citizens in different parts of the country, the courts in Mogadishu or elsewhere have no choice but tgo accept any town that applies for membership of the ICU after it chases away their local warlord agents. It is a paradigm shift that has never been imagined, its a reveolution of revoloutions, its a grassroot revolt and a true peoples court (not TV Version).

Now, all of Somalia is not Safe from the phenomena of the miniature courts , who take control of their township and then declare allegiance only to Allah.

Nur

Castro   

the courts are not a centrally controlled organization, its more like a Professional Association of like minded citizens in different parts of the country, the courts in Mogadishu or elsewhere have no choice but tgo accept any town that applies for membership of the ICU after it chases away their local warlord agents.

Well hold on their good Nur. I'm curious how you know this. I may be completely wrong but I was under the impression the UIC was very much centrally controlled under the leadership of none other than Sheikh Aweys? Not that being centrally commanded makes it any less popular or formidable organization. Furthermore, the citizens were already like minded. They just lacked the means to rid themselves of greedy and vicious warlords for some decades. Now that someone has shown them it is possible to defeat and chase these cowardly killers away, they are applauding the courts and are happy with them.

It is a paradigm shift that has never been imagined, its a reveolution of revoloutions, its a grassroot revolt and a true peoples court

Not only has this been imagined before but it has been tried before. The only difference this time is the willingness of the people (the "grassroots") to join in and repel the warlords. Hopefully that same grassroots support will not turn to its old ways of division along clan lines.

Now, all of Somalia is not Safe from the phenomena of the miniature courts , who take control of their township and then declare allegiance only to Allah.

I hope it is just a slip of the tongue and you don't mean the people have much to fear from these men of God when you say "all of Somalia is not safe". If it happens, it will not be the first time an ideologically-driven group of men lose their way after a revolution. Let's hope this does not occur but there's always a risk. Specifically, the subversion (using clan politics) by Ethiopia and/or Western powers of the popular support the ICU enjoys is a very real risk.

Nur   

Castro bro.

1. Central agenda, yes, central control, as of this writing, NONE, the binding force is the loyalty to Islam as a solution to our debacle that all other means failed to solve.

2. Paradigm Shift: This type of popular Islamic courts who join forces to repel a common enemy and bring peace and harmony to a war torn country, each clan or town joining an association of courts is a novel idea that deserves Nobel Peace Prize For 2006.

3. My language usage that no one in Somalia is "safe from the Miniature courts" was not a slip of the tongue nor the heart, it is a sarcasm, how can one find safety from safety? just the other day, The courts evicted a family who were occupying a house by force for the past 16 years, when the courts showed up with owner of the house, they requested a 20 day grace period to find a place, the courts officer told them that they had 16 years of unlawful occupation and usage of a property that does not belong to them, they were evicted the same day.

Nur