Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

UK House of Lords debates: Somaliland/Somalia — Question

UK House of Lords debates: Somaliland/Somalia — Question

Written by Parliament.uk

May 23, 2009 at 02:40 PM

Lord Steel of Aikwood: My Lords, given the mayhem that has characterised Somalia for so long, is there not a case for reconsidering the whole question of recognising the Government in Somaliland, the former British protectorate, which at least is stable and orderly?Asked By Lord Avebury

To ask Her Majesty’s Government what assessment they have made of the political and humanitarian consequences of the conflict in Somalia.

The Minister of State, Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Lord Malloch-Brown): My Lords, the Djibouti process led to the expansion of the Somali Parliament and its selection of a new President. The formation of a more broadly based Government provides the best opportunity to create a lasting peace and reconciliation necessary for tackling the ongoing humanitarian crisis. Although that Government are battling an assault by the armed insurgency, they must continue to strive for further reconciliation with those outside the political process.

Lord Avebury: My Lords, if we are really determined to prevent the terrorists affiliated to Al-Shabaab taking over the whole country, is it not necessary to provide greater support in terms of logistics and training, both for the Government’s armed forces and for the AMISOM troops? With regard to the humanitarian crisis, is the noble Lord aware of any steps being taken through the Security Council or otherwise to meet the gap of two-thirds in the funding to meet the needs of the 400,000 people displaced internally, and a similar number in refugee camps in neighbouring countries, particularly Kenya?

Lord Malloch-Brown: My Lords, the noble Lord has repeatedly brought the question of Somalia to this House’s attention, and correctly so, because it is often

21 May 2009 : Column 1433

one of those forgotten crises. About 40 per cent of the country’s population are displaced, completely dependent on international aid, and it has been very difficult to get it there. Despite the current upsurge of fighting, the distribution continues in key places such as Mogadishu, and the World Food Programme delivered something like 35,000 metric tonnes of food last month. On the noble Lord’s other point, we are also seeking to make sure that AMISOM, to which we have contributed generously, is properly supported during this crisis; and there was a move in the Security Council last week to make sure that the transitional Government’s armed forces be supported with the resources they need and to deal with this critical issue of salaries to solders and police.

Lord Howell of Guildford: My Lords, is it true that the Eritrean army is yet again invading Somalia and helping the Al-Shabaab rebels? I do not know whether the Minister has any news on that. One area where we in this country have a direct interest is the offshore piracy. Is it correct that the Iranians now want to contribute through their naval resources to the anti-piracy movement? Might this not be at least one area where, despite all our disagreements with Iran on everything else, we could co-operate with it?

Lord Malloch-Brown: My Lords, on the noble Lord’s first point, there is pretty strong evidence of Eritrean collusion in the upsurge of violence against the Government and of possible arms resupply to the rebels by the Eritreans. They were condemned in a Security Council presidential statement at the end of last week and have furiously denied the charges, but frankly that does not give me much confidence—it does not mean that the charges are not true. There is also a real risk of this situation escalating; there have been reports, again denied, of Ethiopian troops returning into Somalia. This is an enormously serious challenge to the Government and we all have reason to be very concerned to support and reinforce them over the coming weeks. I will have to get back to the noble Lord on his second point about Iran and piracy.

Lord Steel of Aikwood: My Lords, given the mayhem that has characterised Somalia for so long, is there not a case for reconsidering the whole question of recognising the Government in Somaliland, the former British protectorate, which at least is stable and orderly?

Lord Malloch-Brown: My Lords, this is one of those perennial issues which, quite rightly, come up every time that Somalia lurches back into crisis. The noble Lord knows our position, which is that we try to give Somaliland support but we think that its status and potential independence must be dealt with through African forums: first, through talks between the two sides in Somalia and, subsequently, through the AU. We do not think that British recognition of Somaliland would help its goal of independence.

The Lord Bishop of Liverpool: My Lords, we have a large Somali community in Liverpool. Has there been any contact between the Government and local authorities

21 May 2009 : Column 1434

where there are large Somali communities, to address possible tensions that might arise within those communities?

Lord Malloch-Brown: My Lords, the right reverend Prelate raises an important point. I will look into it and ensure that information is being shared. Broadly, I do not think—although he knows better than I do—that this is a situation where our Somali British community is divided, as is the case with some other conflicts with which we have been dealing. I think that among Somalis resident here there is quite broad support for the transitional Government; indeed, one very distinguished British citizen is now the Foreign Minister.

Lord Judd: My Lords, does my noble friend agree that, in the immensely difficult situation as he described it, a priority is to regain access for the free-standing non-governmental humanitarian agencies, which are perceived to have no political agenda of their own and are therefore in a particularly strong position to make a contribution in a fraught situation? Does he also accept that humanitarian assistance and the political dimensions are seldom in watertight compartments and that, in approaching lasting solutions, it is terribly important to listen very carefully to non-governmental organisations about what they are learning in the context of their work?

Lord Malloch-Brown: My Lords, my noble friend is absolutely correct about the critical role of humanitarian non-governmental organisations. DfID is in daily contact not just with the UN agencies and the International Committee of the Red Cross but also with the NGOs involved, to try to work out how we can programme an additional £3.5 million of support. The NGOs are obviously suffering from the same difficulties as the UN agencies, including the huge difficulty of deploying staff there due to the dramatic security situation.

Parliament.uk

Last Updated ( May 23, 2009 at 04:44 PM

War nimanki ingreeska la odhan jiiray qadiyadii somaliland wabay oo soo jeedsadeen kuwii koonfurianska na waxay ku eedeyeen is qab qabsi qabyalaad iyo argagixiso loo bahanyahay ina gacan lugu qabto.

Jb...You don't seem to appreciate the futility of your efforts. I don't know if it's intentional or unfortunate result of dream unfulfilled, what ever the case is, you sound like mental patient banging his head against the wall, and I say this with all in deference to your untiring services to see North Somalia's ambitions realized.

Mr. Konfurian..You should applaud the Brits in 'helping' Somalia to fight "terrorism". Who knows they might throw you bone to deal with "the terrorists" up north :D

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

Jb...You don't seem to appreciate the futility of your efforts. I don't know if it's intentional or unfortunate result of dream unfulfilled, what ever the case is, you sound like mental patient banging his head against the wall, and I say this with all in deference to your untiring services to see North Somalia's ambitions realized.

Do u appreciate ??

Come on ... stop pretending now.

Baarlamaanka Ingiriiska oo Dood Xaasaasi ah ka Yeeshay Dhibaatooyinka Soomaaliya iyo Aqoonsiga Somaliland

-------------------- -------------------- -------------------- --------------------

(Baarlamaanka Ingiriiska oo Dood Xaasaasi ah ka Yeeshay Dhibaatooyinka Soomaaliya iyo Aqoonsiga Somaliland)

hadhwanaag 2009-05-25 (Hadhwanaagnews) London (HWN)- Baarlamaanka Boqortooyada Britain, ayaa shalay yeeshay dood aad u kulul oo lagu lafoguray dhibaatooyinka baahsan ee ka jira Soomaaliya iyo qaddiyadda aqoonsiga Somaliland.

Dooddan oo Aqalka Odayaasha ee loo yaqaan House of Lords ee Ingiriisku ka yeeshay arrimaha Soomaaliya iyo Somaliland ka yeesheen, ayaa sida lagu baahiyey bogga wararka ee baarlamaanka Britain ku leeyahay Internetka waxa mudanaayaasha ka qaybqaatay aad u lafogureen dhibaatooyinka ka jira Soomaaliya iyo sida loogu baahan yahay in dawladda Britain aqoonsi buuxa u fidiso Somaliland, halka xildhibaanno kalena arrinta aqoonsiga iskaga soo riixeen dhinaca Midowga Afrika.

Lord Steel oo ka soo jeeda degmada Aikwood ee dalka Ingiriiska oo dooddaas ka qaybqaatay, ayaa miiska soo dhigay in marka la eego xasillooni-darrada iyo dawlad la’aanta muddada dheer ka jirtay Soomaaliya uu xalka keliya ee meesha yaallaa yahay dawladda Ingiriiska oo si rasmi ah u aqoonsata Somaliland.

“Mudanayaal, marka la eego dawlad la’aanta muddada dheer ka jirta Soomaaliya miyaanu kiiska iminka meesha yaal ahayn in dib looga fikiro guud ahaanba su’aasha meesha taal ee aqoonsiga Somaliland oo ahaa maxmiyad ka tirsanaa Ingiriiska, xalkuna wuxuu ku jiraa Ingiriiska oo aqoonsada Somaliland, meeshana aan laga saarin,” ayuu yidhi Lord Howell.

Wasiirka Ingiriiska u aqaabilsan Arrimaha Dibadda iyo Barwaaqo-sooranka Mr. Lord Malloch-Brown, kana tirsan aqalka odayaasha oo isna dooddaas ka qaybgalay ayaa yidhi; “Mudanayaal, waxaad ka warqabtaan in shirkii Jabuuti lagu ballaadhiyey baarlamaankii Soomaaliya, laguna doortay madaxweyne cusub, xalka mushkiladda taaganna wuxuu ku jira iyada oo la dhiso dawlad sal-ballaadhan oo wax ka qabata dhibaatooyinka bani’aadnimo ee haysta shacabka Soomaaliyeed, markaa inkasta oo dawlada Sheekh Shariif ay waqtigan la tacaalayso dagaallada ay ku hayaan kooxaha kacdoonka wada ee hubaysan, waa inay haddana sii wado barnaamijka dib-u-heshiisiinta iyada oo la kaashanaysa dawladaha dibadaha.”

Wasiirka oo ka hadlayey qaddiyadda aqoonsiga Somaliland iyo dariiqa loo marayo waxa uu yidhi; “Arrinta Somaliland waa mid joogto ah oo markasta oo Soomaaliya ku sii durugto dawlad la’aanta iyo dhibaatooyinka ina hortimaad, mudanayaasha sharafta lehna way ogyihiin kaalinta innooga bannaan, taas oo ah in aynu taageero buuxda siino Somaliland, laakiin waxaynu ognahay in qaddiyaddeeda iyo madaxbannaaninada lagu xallin karo shirarka Afrika yeelato. Marka u horreysa waa in Somaliland iyo Soomaaliya wada hadlaan, dabadeedna loo soo gudbo Midowga Afrika oo halkaa lagaga doodo.

Ma aaminsani in aqoonsi dawladda Ingiriisku siiso Somaliland ay xal u noqon karto madaxbannaanideeda iyo jiritaankeedaba, laakiin waa arrin xalkeedu u yaal Afrika.”

Lord Howell oo laga soo doortay deegaanka Guildford ee waddanka Ingiriiska, ayaa isna shaaca ka qaaday in ciidamo ka tirsan dalka Eratariya oo taageero siinaya Al-shabaab ay galeen Soomaaliya, taasoo uu ku tilmaamay inay tahay ta fidnada sii hurinaysa. Waxa kaloo mudanuhu carrabka ku dhuftay budhcad-badeeda ka dillaacday xeebaha Soomaaliya iyo saamaynta ay ku yeesheen isu socodkii gaadiidka badda ee isaga kalagooshayay dacallada dunida.

“Budhcad-badeeda ka dillaacday xeebaha Soomaaliya waxay leeyihiin halisteeda. Waa sax in dawladda Iiraan doonayso in ay marakiib u dirto Badda Cas iyo Gacanka Cadmeed si ay ula dagaallamaan budhcad-badeeda, arrintaasina waxay u baahan tahay in la iska kaashado si loola tacaalo budhcadda ka dillaacday badaha Soomaaliya,” ayuu yidhi Lord Howell.

Waxa kale oo iyaguna dooddaas ka afkaarahooda ka dhiibtay mudanayaal badan oo dhammaantood ku dheeraaday dhibaatooyinka ka jira Soomaaliya ee ka mid yihiin budhcad-badeedda, argagixisada, xagdudubyada bani’aadanimo ee loo gaysto bulshada rayidka ah iyo sida loogu baahan yahay in beesha caalamku wax ka qabato, iyaga oo xildhibaannada qaarkood miiska soo dhigay sida Soomaalida Ingiriisku u kala tafaaraaruqsan tahay ee ay ula kala safan yihiin kooxaha ku hirdamaya Soomaaliya, halka ay jiraan qaar kale oo ka niyad-jabsan dhismaha dawlad Soomaaliya yeelato oo dalka xaslata.

Jamhuuriya Online

^how nice of you yaa XUNXUN. The somali version is exactly what JB aka lord secessioner needed.

and the verdict is?

drums and more drums please:

Lord Malloch-Brown: My Lords, this is one of those perennial issues which, quite rightly, come up every time that Somalia lurches back into crisis. The noble Lord knows our position, which is that we try to give Somaliland support but we think that its status and potential independence must be dealt with through African forums: first, through talks between the two sides in Somalia and, subsequently, through the AU. We do not think that British recognition of Somaliland would help its goal of independence.

NO, MAYA, INYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOW.

Poker   

Xaaji,

Leave the girl alone. I don't know what happened to her, she used to be pro-Somaliland.

lol@xunxun, waxaaga xoog miyaa? The hell do you mean by "inaynu"?

Why couldn't you just say afsomaligeena isku mid maaha, oo turjubaan ii raadi?

lol@

inaynu isku somali ahayn siida ku garro

Haddii somaligii uuna isku mid aheyn, oo afka somaliga uu kuu gambiyay oo aadan fahmin afkii macanaa ee somalida, magacii somalia maxaa ilaa iyo hada aad dabada ugu sidataa? War magaca ka fuq, furuq haku dilee. ;)

Mida kale waxa waaye xunxunoow, dalkeena and magaceena waad inaad noo daysaa oo magac kale raadsato, sida aad xornimo u heshid. Waa uun talo