Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

SOL should foster Somali Unity, not its divisions

Abtigiis   

I am one of those who erred. While my main motivation was and still remain the liberation of the people of Somaligalbeed and the reunification of the Somali people, I have at times tended as if defending a clan and assuming different identity than the one that matters.

This thing of "US" and "them" and proliferation of regional identity is undermining our Somalinimo. Somalinimo, not in the sense of one political entity, but as a people. The more we continue on this path, the more we will define 'new identities' for ourselves and confuse our progeny. We should get out of this new skin we fittted for ourselves.

The so-and-so lands and movements we support whether ONLF, Puntland, Somaliland or the South must be viewed as a transitional coping ways dictated by the realities on the ground. Let us strive to become what the world knows us to be, and in what we look great: Somalinimo.

This noble ideal has been mocked and rediclued to the extent some feel I am delusional in aspiring for it. Yet, wherever we go today, at home and aborad, it is not hard to see living proof of how indivisible our society is. Let us emrace optimism and let sane voices spread the word of unity.

Those who peddle differences and disunity are the loudest in this forum. Let the sane majority who would like the message of unity to spread be not only content in knowing they are good, untainted and that at the end the good shall triumph over the evil. There is no gurantee. It may be the case the evil will win. Let the sane minds come out and speak. The gusto with which some of us embrace some kind of identities is testamount to the decay that is going on in our society.

SOL is home to many Somali's. Most of the people I see here are intelligent, modern and educated. It should live upto its expectations. Let us move away from the constant exchanges which are rooted in clan identity. I, perhaps, more than anyone fall in the catogory of those who are to blame for this. My motivations was partially fun, partially malice. The fun we can continue bilaterally in separte rooms. But all talk about Qabil ( direct or implied) must stop. This doesn't mean in not mentioning the names. It means in engaging in geographical discriptions which some think define some people.

Miskin-Macruuf-Aqyaar is getting tired. He is busy "fighting" and "burying" Qabyaalad. That is why I can not mention the name *****-Sheikh (Ha.r.ti-Sheikh) without astriks. This reminds me of the effigies our fathers used to burn in the days of the Kacaan. That is not what kills Qabyaalad. Educating people, promoting what collective things we share, showing that at individual and household level, we have simliar aspirations about life is more important.

We have all been guilty. How many times did Xinnfanin come in defence of Somaliland? How many times did Jacaylbaro felt he needs to defend the people of Puntland? How many times did I come to defend the people of Somaliland? Let the inquest begin and let all of us examine our biases and bad sides. Only then, will we transcend to Somalinimo and ultimately to humanity.

Ibtisam   

These are my confessions ba jooga today in SOL; Well done to you, Sayid, and Mr.Paragon for your confessions. But can I tell you, as NGonge would say, there are only 10 real members here, each with 20 identities- ha ku warerin

A&T,

The words "Somali" plus "Unity" is a very dirty term in Somaliland. Can you come up with a new term. smile.gif

Bal aan marka hore termka aan ku heshiino. :D

My suggestions...

Somali Coorperation

Somali Frienship

Somali Commonality

Abtigiis   

Propose one please Suldaanka. You can call it Somali disunity as long as the end result is the end of hatred, end of bitterness and moving forward to embrace the future.

Turks killed 1.5 million Armenians. That is not even a 100 years old histroy. Now, they are learning they can't live apart. They are engaging.

By the way, why is the term wrong? Because someone abused it sometime ago? Why can't you tell the masses in Hargeisa and Burco that the term is not bad, but was abused. Is it a big task to do so?

EDIT- again, any of your suggestions will do for me. As long as we agree we should end hatred and animosity.

^^ :D

For the people of Somaliland the term represents and is a symbol of the biggest mistake they have committed in their history.

Aside from that, it has been associated with [ or hijacked/abused to use your terms] clanish bigots masquarading as nationalists and essentialy became a battlecry for anyone who wants to have a dig at Hargeisa and its politics.

Abtigiis   

Suldaanka, no problem. Shun the bigots like me, but embrace the idea if you think it is good.

Qudhac, waxaasi waa waxaan ku leeyahay aan ka ilbaxno. Unless you have challenges with the Queen's language, your "you" means I as A&T.

Ha la bogsado walaalayaal. Endless isnacayb meelolagu gaadhi maayo.

Ibti,

Somali Harmony sounds good to me. :D

A&T,

I welcome the spirit. But as long as aan wax la isku yeedhinayn sidii Soomaalida lagu yaqiinay laakin wax la kala dhagaysanaayo... i.e. for everyone to leave their ego and their hard held belief (for or against unity) at the door and sit around the table as simple men working for a better future. :D

Abtigiis   

Suldanka, bal horta inta Somali unity ogol aan aragno intaynaan dee iyagana ku xadgudib ee aynaan term kale qaadan. This doesn't conflict with my willingness to accpet any of your proposals. It is inherently undemocractic if we disregard something because few people don't want it.

Ibtisam - does that mean "Somali Unity" won't do for you as well? Do you also think I am a bigot? From your chuckle above, it looks you liked Suldankaa's dig at me.

Edit- Suldaanka's suggestion is good. Waxba hadda la isuma yeedhi karaba. Jacaylbaro, halkaad ka hadlayso wali lama gaadhin. Waxaan isku haynaa naca iyo caloosha bugta aan iska dhaafno. If we end up, 24 minor republics, it will do for me if that is the supreme choice of Somali xor ah oo tashatay.

Ibtisam   

I don't think you’re a bigot- nor did I chuckle above.

Somali unity was and still is a stick used to beat certain people with, it has lost its original meaning and weight, now it rings hollow and has connotations of abuse, misuse and eliminating groups. Since Somali unity has lost the glue which held it together, instead of moisten the dry old glue again, it might be better to get two new brand new words that natural connect and maintain magnetic contact. So if they disconnect, it is a clean break, no crumbs or dry old glue falling off in the process, nor taking the skin of the other. ;)

Cowke   

A.T, The world has endorsed the path somalis will take and it is federal path. This maintains the unity yet de-centralizes power.

This system has proven to work for our ancestors for centuries such as makhir, north-east, hiraab, adal, etc who were all federal states and took care of their own affairs at the local level for their clan-men.

No more chasing after foreign systems be it centralism, separatism, or even theocracies.

Somalis need to go back to their roots and to the systems that indeed worked, not follow the systems that indeed failed (colonial).

Plus if people think "qabil qaran ma noqto" then they need to explain how a first world country such as the u.k was formed through welsh tribe, english tribe, scottish tribe, and irish tribe?

These are tribes and they formed a "qaran". So it's possible and has worked in the modern world also, on top of that we have our history which proves it worked for our fathers. This is the way somalis are going, come hell or high-water really.