Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Somaliland Court Sentences 3 To Death For Attacks

A court in Somalia’s northern breakaway region of Somaliland sentenced three people to death on Wednesday and ordered the deportation of four foreigners for four bomb attacks on the security forces, court sources said.

Five people were killed in the attacks between November and January, including four police officers killed in a single attack in January.

Somaliland is proud of its relative stability, compared with the anarchy further south, but the attacks were a reminder of its vulnerability to radical militants.

The four foreigners — two Ethiopians, an Eritrean and a Sudanese — said they were not involved in the attacks, but the chairman of Berbera Regional Court ordered their deportation. Police sources said at the time of the blast in January that an explosive device had been left among milk cans near a mosque in Las Anod near the Puntland border.

Al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab — a major rebel group in Somalia — hit Somaliland and Puntland with synchronised suicide blasts that killed at least 24 people in October 2008.

A row has been simmering between the Somaliland president and opposition parties over delays in elections, and analysts said this could trigger a re-arming of clan militias and new violence for al Shabaab to exploit.

But in a surprise announcement on Tuesday, Somaliland’s National Electoral Commission said the presidential poll would take place in June.

Polanyi   

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

It is that simple, Don't mess with Somaliland ,,,,
:D

Somaliland is slowly lighting the sparks for a dirty fire.

Polanyi   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

I have no faith whatsoever in these foolish courts.

Is it the dresscode of the judge or something else? :D

Originally posted by NGONGE:

I have no faith whatsoever in these foolish courts.

Stick to London :D

The choice is free.

I'm trying to be a judge in the future ;) . You do not want to see me with some powers.

NGONGE   

^^ Haye, adeer. Now take your ball and go.

Originally posted by Haatu:

^ Clan reasons?
:D

Much more than that, saaxib. An army kills for the state, a court does not.

NGONGE   

^^ Wa maxay 'what could it be'? It is about the role of courts in a state that claims to be democratic. It's about saving the individual from the willy-nilly whims of the government. It's about due process, checks & balances and the confidence that all cases are dealt with fairly, justly and impartially without Riyaale, Siilanyo or Waraabe having a say in the matter. :mad:

Haatu   

^^ Miyaa? My bad. All I could tell was that you were angry for some mysterious reason. Ma train-ka ayaa ku dhaafey this morning or something.