Sign in to follow this  
Abu-Salman

Colluding Against Somalis: Kenyan Hypocrisy

Although Addis-Abeba and Washington proeminent roles in sabotaging Somali peace efforts by arming ruthless warlords is rightly emphasised, Kenya more obscure plots need also to be highlited.

Already openly lobbying for a lift of the arms embargo, giving carte-blanche to Ethiopian military within its territory while excercising jointly with GIs at the Somali Border, Kenya have recently launched a major diplomatic offensive to accelerate Somalia dismembrement, financed, of course by an American neo-cons think-tank.

Not only are unfortunate NFD Somalis treated as second-class citizens and the Somali region utterly disregarded, just like in Somali Galbeed, but they are even denied full citizenship untli now while being regularly vilipended in the Kenyan press as an all-purpose scapegoat.

Particularly noteworthy is also the back-stabbing of the TFG Nairobi engineered conjointly with Addis (Nairobi notoriously served as Somalis Warlords safe base untli very recently).

As a further evidence of an unholy collusion, the Kenyan envoy in Muqdisho who praised the ICU for the return of law and order, instantaneously revised its position to harmonize it more closely with Washington and Addis "Terror" propaganda.

To add insult to injury, the conflictuous secession issue has opportunistically been revived in the run to add fuel to Somali flames...

...................................................................................................................................................................................

“Kenya Is Lobbying Igad, For Somaliland Be Given Observer Status” Somaliland Times

Hargeysa, Somaliland, December 2, 2006 (SL Times) – Kenyan Member of Parliament, Mr. Peter Arigu who came to Hargeysa for a two day visit from Kenya on Wednesday (29/11/06) on the invitation of the International Republican Institute, an American organization which promotes democracy in developing countries to hold a two day lecture and seminar for Somaliland members of parliament .

Somaliland Times interviewed Mr. Peter Arigu at his hotel in Hargeysa.

SL/Times: Honorable Peter Arigu can you tell us the purpose of your visit to Somaliland?

P Arigu: I came to Somaliland for two reasons. First, I came to Somaliland to hold two-day lecture and seminar for the upper and lower chambers of Somaliland’s parliament where I will give discourse on how bills of laws are legislated in parliamentary proceedings. The second reason is to learn from the ‘Guurti’ or upper house of Somaliland parliament’s expertise and experience at conflict resolution and peace making.

SL/Times: Is this your first visit to Somaliland?

P Arigu: No, this is not my first visit to Somaliland, I came last August (2006) and that was my very first visit to Somaliland and was in preparation of this visit. This being my second visit, will be mainly concentrating on how Somaliland’s parliament can establish sound procedures in debating, formulating bills and conducting parliamentary business, as well as how best for Somaliland parliament to represent the interest of the public in general. I also, personally want to get first hand experience from the ‘Guurti’ house of elder’s parliament in their experience and skills in conflict resolution and how we in Africa can benefit from their experience.

SL/Times: In your speech to the ‘Guurti’ the house of elders in Somaliland’s parliament you said that Somaliland would be given soon an observer status in the regional organization, Igad. How do you know of this?

P Arigu: When I came to Somaliland in August (2006), I was most impressed by the democratic and institutional development Somaliland had attained and it left a great impression on me. Soon, as I returned to Kenya, I informed my Kenyan colleagues in parliament of Somaliland’s impressive achievements and we quickly went about how best to reward Somaliland for its achievements. We decided that the first step would be to lobby our government to motion Igad to give Somaliland an observer status in Igad and the UN, and this it did our government accepted to motion Igad for this privilege to Somaliland. I think this would be the first step towards future full recognition of Somaliland.

SL/Times: Does Somaliland have any friends in Kenya who promote its cause in public and in parliament?

P Arigu: Yes, Somaliland has many friends in Kenya. Just look at Eastleigh, in Nairobi many of its residents are from Somaliland and many more are spread across the country and are actively in politics and business in Kenya. Some are in the Nairobi municipal assembly and in the national parliament. And they all fight for your cause in public and private.

SL/Times: How much support does Somaliland have in Igad and aren’t countries like Sudan, Djibouti and Eritrea against Somaliland gaining recognition?

P Arigu: This is because of misunderstandings among these countries because Kenya for one wants to mediate between Somalia because we want peace in the Horn of Africa, this is why we got all the parties in Somalia to come to Kenya to sort out their differences and we succeeded in doing this whereby they formed a parliament and choose a president. Unfortunately, the parliament and president of Somalia did not travel to Mogadishu instead stayed in Kenya for a long time. This caused tremendous strain and danger to Kenya and eventually my government had to evict the Somali parliament and president out of the country back to Somalia.

SL/Times: Since the Islamic Union Courts captured Mogadishu there has been a lot of anxiety of major conflict engulfing the entire region, Kenya is at present mediating between the TFG and IUC, will Kenya succeed in this task?

P Arigu: We want peace in the region and not conflict this is why Kenya will do everything it can to stop this conflict not only will we mediate but also take whatever necessary steps needed to diffuse a major conflict occurring in the region. We are working for the good of the entire region and must succeeded in this task.

SL/Times: There is much news in the media that Ethiopia has troops stationed inside Somalia and there is the fear that the IUC and Ethiopian troops will clash. How do you see this?

P Arigu: No, we are very hopeful this will not happen. We have spoken to Ethiopia and have made it clear to Ethiopia that this conflict is not in the interest of the region and we are quite certain that Ethiopia has adhered to our pleas and will not be pushing for confrontation with the IUC.

SL/Times: The USA government is lobbying the UN to lift its arms embargo over Somalia, what is the Kenyan position on this?

P Arigu: We would like the UN arms embargo to continue in force till all Somali factions have sorted out their differences . And I believe if the UN arms embargo is lifted it will ignite the hostilities more than ever before and cause a major catastrophe beyond the reaches of Somalia and will engulf the entire region this is the first time that your achievements have reached us in Kenya over all these years and this is most unfortunate. .

SL/Times: What advice would you give to the people of Somaliland?

P Arigu: I would advise the Somaliland nation to put more effort in getting their message for recognition out to the world, especially the members of the houses of parliament, for they can lobby their colleagues in parliament in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania and other countries too. Because this is the first time that your achievements have reached us in Kenya over all these years and this is most unfortunate . I believe the efforts you put in achieving peace and development inside the country is more so than ever before needed for neighboring countries and beyond.

Source: Somaliland Times

NGONGE   

^^^^ Why would anyone want to collude against Somalia, my friend?

Is it not possible that Kenya has changed its policy and concluded that a united Somalia is something that would never happen? Surely you can't really accuse them of hyporacy after they helped in creating the TFG. The failure of the TFG after all was not due to any outside interference but rather internal stubbornness and mistrust.

Ps

If having an interest in Somali politics would equal conspiring against Somalia (in your opinion) where does that leave your beloved Djibouti? I'm asking the question because your name indicates that you have some connection to that part of the Horn of Africa, if you don't you needn't bother to reply.

Kenya and Ethiopia were conspiring conjointly since Nairobi independence to keep their ill-gotten Somali colonies; this is a pure historical fact.

Djibouti, with its Somali majority, obviously resent foreign interferences and the strategy of Warlords sponsoring aimed to keep Somalia divided while on the road towards total destruction.

Also, Ethiopian invasion set a most dangerous precedent for an already highly volatile region.

At any rate, there is no any specific "djiboutian" consciousness or stance at the popular level since Muslims everywhere support morally Somalis popular uprising against Warlords terror and foreign invasions (one may note that Kenyan Muslims denounced their own government and vowed to defend their Somali brothers).

Effectively, the warlords government was welcomed initially as a "necessary evil" by many Somalis accross clan/regional lines; however, the popular mood swiftly changed as it become increasingly clear that the unholy alliance was nothing but Addis-Abeba new trojan horse...