SayidSomal

I Propose a Name Change

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by Sayid*Somal:

Norf - it is Soomaali
ya
not Somali'a'.

get it?

Erm erm, OK. Whats the difference? I asked where the 'a' or 'ya' as you put it was derived. I'm inclined to think it is derived from latin which make your proposal futile.

Do you disagree? If so, why?

Coloow   

Ibtisam,

I have been to North American and I heard alot of people say "Somalien". What is funny is that even older people (although their command of the english language is not that good) say " I am SUMEELIYEEN". This connotation is spreading like wild fire and my guess is that in due time even somalis elsewhere will follow suit.

It wouldn't surprise me if Muuse Suudi Yalaxow says " Anigaba Sumeeliyeen ayaan ahay" since it was reported that he thought the word Diaspora means ASBORO (Aspro).

Som@li   

This Somalien must be stopped,

North, It must be from latin, but before we go to Arabic, what would be the country in Somali,

Dhulka Soomaaaliyeed, :confused:

I am from Somalia , I speak Somali, and I am Somali.

Johnny B   

^You're not forgetting that he ( atheer Muse that is) was reported saying " i speak two languages, Somali and Somalileyn".

Norf, the only language i can trace the 'Somalien' to is French, and then, tu es Somalian (muscline) et Somalien ( feminine ).

So, je suis Somalian and Ibti is Somalien. icon_razz.gif

And then there is This Dictionary

Originally posted by Baadiyow Emeritus:

It wouldn't surprise me if Muuse Suudi Yalaxow says " Anigaba Sumeeliyeen ayaan ahay" since it was reported that he thought the word Diaspora means ASBORO (Aspro).

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL :D:D:D

the amount of time i have corrected people regardless of whether they are somali or not is countless over this 'alien' thing. but i always ensure i explain why we are not called this 'ian' -do you know the reason Mr Emeritus?

Norf - YA'da comes from the Soomaali language - i don't know where this A comes from - but i concur it's origin is latin, and since the gumaysayasha prefer the latin over the soomaali, i am not surprised they used the A over the YA

nuune   

^^^ indeed :D:D

Aad baan ula yaabey, even this Somali Cat is not popular in Somalia, more like in western countries, they respect the cat more than they do us!

Som@li   

Originally posted by Dabshid:

btw what is with this "Somali cat"?, she is more popular than Somalis,
:D

Soomaaliya or Somalia, both is the same, written in somali and english,

Like Hindiya, India

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Baadiyow Emeritus:

Somalien(sounds like an alien) is mostly used by newly arrived imigrants to the USA/Canada.

Surely that goes against your argument there. :D

Though the topic is as pointless as my left nipple (I have random tickly sensations on my right one you see), may I remind you that the use of the words Somali and Somalian is something done in the English language. Both words are acceptable and widely used because (and here come that funny word again) Somalis/Somalians are alien (read foreign) words.

(Next you'll be expecting them to call a Chair a Kursi (and no, that's not yours either).

Dhubad.   

Originally posted by Dabshid:

btw what is with this "Somali cat"?, she is more popular than Somalis,
:D

lol What about Somali Wild A$$.

Talk about thread hijack

this topic is about somali territories and their enghlishn names.

stick to the topic - if youb have anything else - the troll section is in the general section.

don't be saqajaans! be :cool:

I agree it sounds wrong saying I am a Somalian, but its become a habit to me and many others.

Btw I thought it was dhulka Soomaal as opposed to dhulka Soomaaliya (maybe its the colonizers, because us Somalis are mixed up and the language has been formed from Arabic, English , Italian, and many other east African languages etc.

Somali cat are so called because of their beaty, before they were called the Abysinian cats. i guess they realised somalis were more beatiful than the Abysinians.

likewise the Somali Wild As*s* is the most handsomest of all A*S*SESS :D and is unique to the somali countryside