Sign in to follow this  
SOO MAAL

Somalis in Minnesota: Divided and Confused!

SOO MAAL   

Somalis in Minnesota: Divided and Confused!

Abdullahi Daud

They live in the most advanced country in the world, the United States. Yet they dance to the tune of warlords in the most chaotic and least developed country in the world, Somalia. It should have been the other way round. Hard to believe but true.

Having witnessed the grass-rooted democratic process, the unprecedented information-based economy and the due process of law, Somalis in Minnesota have the greatest potential to positively influence the events taken place in their home country. Nonetheless, they refuse to shed their clan structure. Indeed, the community is divided. This meaningless division within the community confuses not only ordinary Somalis but also the American elected officials both at Federal and State/local levels.

The Problem:

Most Somalis have indeed good hearts. Then, what is the problem?

Regardless of their clan identity, ordinary Somalis have fostered good relationships in work places, businesses, educational institutions and residence neighborhoods. If you, for instance, start a new job somewhere, you will know well most of Somalis in your work area pretty quickly. They are good at assisting each other; some may give you a ride if you don’t have one; others may help you know around the work environment. I am sometimes moved in tears when I meet a Somali in workplace or school and he/she tells me his/her whole story and background within few days. This is their sprit. Most of them have indeed good hearts. Then, one may ask, what is the problem?

The problem is simple and clear. We, Somalis, do not stand up to those who want divide us on regional and clan lines. We never question the self-styled so-called leaders who cash on our division. In fact, the likes of them is what brought us here in the first place. Local Somali reporter once asked a Minneapolis Mayor “why did not you help Somalis in your city?†“How could I help people whom each group I meet discredits the other group who just left my officeâ€, answered the Mayor confidently. The Mayor’s answer is obvious and does not need further explanation. To add insult to the injury, local elected officials are familiar more with clan and regional names of Somalis than the issues that the Somali community cares the most. Does the Mayor of Minneapolis or St. Paul care about clan names or regions we belong to? The answer is clearly no! Moreover, these local officials have no control over U.S. foreign policy, which falls under the jurisdiction of the Federal government. Then why Somali politician who visit Minnesota meet State and local officials? The self-styled Somali front-runners want to impress these visiting politicians in order to gain favor from them in case some opportunities pups up back home. They are doing so at the expense of local community here in Minnesota.

The members of U.S. Senate from Minnesota also get confused when they meet opposing Somali groups who pursue conflicting interests. For instance, U.S. Senator Norm Coleman (R-Minn.) recently met a group of Somalis who requested him to use his influence to get his government’s support for President Abdullahi Yusuf. To undo these efforts, another group of Somalis arranged a meeting between the Speaker of the Parliament, Sharif Hassan, and Minnesota’s two sitting Senators: Norm Coleman (R-Minn.) and Mark Dayton (D-Minn.). What impressions will these opposing groups leave with the Senators?

A Possible Solution:

First and foremost each one of us has the moral responsibility to stand up to those who so far benefited from our division. We have to question the conventional wisdom within our clan. In other words, we have to think ‘outside of the box.’ If we only keep on justifying our respective clan’s point of view, we will stuck where we are now. Do not expect changes to come from somewhere else: start from yourself. Stop arguing on behalf of your clan. Grill and question those who are famous to advocate clan propaganda.

Secondly, the community should elect a representative body that could speak on its behalf. This is, of course, easier said than done but we have to give a try. There are agencies now, which are merely service providers but misleadingly have “community†before their names. These agencies are not elected representative of the community but mostly are “a one man showâ€. However, I am not suggesting that these “communities†are not useful---it is up to the recipients of their services to determine that. What I am trying to get a cross, nonetheless, is that these agencies are not the representatives of the community.

Thirdly, the community should define their pressing issues that impact their daily lives locally. These include, but may not limit to, save neighborhoods, affordable housing, youth programs etc. Most local Somalis have these common interests and I do not see a problem here. Once these interests are defined, the community could approach State and local officials for lobbying.

Lastly, the community should come into consensus on issues that may benefit Somalis back home. There are plenty of issues to choose from. Obvious one is to lobby the U.S. government to increase the humanitarian aid to Somalis in the Horn of Africa. Another one could be to seek the help of U.S. government in the reconciliation efforts. These are some of the issues that the Senators Coleman and Dayton could help us with.

It is time for us to end our misery both here in America as well as back home. We have to unchain ourselves from clan slavery. Deny these self-styled, clan front-runners from the free ride that they have so far enjoyed. Grill them. Question their logic. Confront them. Once we are no longer confused, we could then ask our elected Federal and State/local officials for assistance with our issues. Let us seize the moment! We owe this to next generation.

Abdullahi Daud is a graduate student of Information Management,

College of Management, Metropolitan State University, Minneapolis, MN

He could be reached at daudab@go.metrostate.edu