Sign in to follow this  
Blessed

Corruption Perceptions Index 2005

Blessed   

Salaams,

The following url links to Transparency Internationals; Corruption Perceptions Index

Highest ranked country= Iceland

Highest ranked Muslim Country = Oman @ 29th, closely followed by The UAE.

Somalia is near the bottom at 148th place but we're a little better than the Sudanis, Nigerians and Bengalis. How? I don't really know. If you click on the following

link you'll get the fine details of the project.

I'm a bit skeptical about the whole thing as am not sure about the accuracy of data used. Take Somalia for instance where there are three different administrations. I doubt that they use the same protocols for governance, so why categorised as one government?

On the hand, I can't help but wonder whether Somalia would be less / more corrupt had we had a proper government.

What do you think?

Blessed   

^They use it as a device to 'fight' corruption so shouldn't accuracy be high on the agenda?

Apart from that, what do you (and other nomads) think about Somalia corruption, is the index accurate or way of mark?

Castro   

Hey, speaking of fighting, I just beat you in the post count. icon_razz.gif

They should have just said N/A for Somalia. I mean come on, just how many organizations (even government) that exist to gauge their corruptness. It's probably done on Afweyne's government. Also, the US is surely more corrupt than number 15. No?

Blessed   

^ Your a troll dee, mine are quality posts :D

On the US, I agree. Maybe it's how they exploit the media. I was watching some (democrate) documentry which said that 56% (there about) of Fox News viewers actually think that Bin Landen was captured. :D

Castro   

^ I'm a troll? Haa, markaa waxaan kuugu heesa: "geelaa markuu daraaranyahay laba nin.....".

Your grazing rights have just been unceremoniously revoked. :mad:

The US is pretty corrupt but probably at the very high level. As in government contracts to military-industrial outfits and other tax-payer gouging entities. In the lower levels it's ok, I think.

Blessed   

^Now, why do you want to do something as silly as that?

*looks for her Burcawi budh*

I'll give you a day to think about it Atheer. :D

*goes on an army recruitement mission*

Castro   

^ LOL. Walee inaad reer Burco tahay hadaan ogaaday. Ready for a$$ whoopin at the drop of a hat. :D Ok, one day is enough. I'll talk to the elders see what they have to say. I'll also stop trolling your great topic. Sorry.

Cara.   

I think Somalia wasn't on the list last year. Perhaps Transparency International is signalling that they are behind Yeey's gov't since they consider it to be legitimate. Corrupt but legitimate.

As for their methodology

Evaluation of the extent of corruption in countries is done by country experts, non resident and residents (in the CPI 2005, this consists of the following sources: CU, EIU, FH, MIG, UNECA and WMRC); non-resident business leaders from developing countries (in the CPI 2005, this consists of the following sources: II); and resident business leaders evaluating their own country (in the CPI 2005, this consists of the following sources: IMD, PERC, and WEF).

None of these sound like likely sources for evaluating Somalia.

The US should definitely dip below 15 since the Republicans came to power. Witness Cheney's connections with Halliburton and Enron. If they didn't influence the decision to invade Iraq, I don't know what could.

Castro   

^ The really big influence came from Exxon, Chevron, Shell and the likes. First with the start of the war, prices would skyrocket and they'd make profits never before seen anywhere (they did). Second, they'd have unfettered access to Iraq for decades to come (in process). Mission accomplished.

^Surely, that war costed more than it generated. So we can't say the projected plan was successful nor has it became feasible. But we'll see how things end up as the passage of time continues. The issue of curruption, I recall something about amount of money lost in curruption in the U.S. , it was something 600+ billion during one fiscal year. That was I think in 2003. But the American curruption is based on a web of sophisticated fraud that is hard to detect in the initial stages.

Castro   

Juxtapose the following two realities in these articles, if you will:

Corruption costs Nigeria and other African countries about $148bn each year, President Olusegun Obasanjo says.

Mr Obasanjo said the figure had been obtained from the African Union. The figure amounts to 25% of Africa's official Gross National Product.

The president was addressing the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) in Abuja.

Mr Obasanjo has promised a "war against corruption" in Nigeria, which is notorious for graft.

Mr Obasanjo said revenue from extractive industries - mining and oil production - was "a major contributor to this monumental and preventable loss".

"The popular 'paradox of poverty in the midst of plenty' is a daily experience in many African countries rich in oil, gas and minerals," the president said.

"The majority of citizens in these countries still lack basic health and educational facilities."

'Collaboration'

EITI was formed as part of an effort to oblige governments to open their oil accounts to scrutiny, and to hold them accountable for their income.

"Unpatriotic citizens in our midst loot our resources and cart the proceeds away into Western banks with the collaboration of Western financial systems," Mr Obasanjo said, in comments quoted by the This Day newspaper.

"When we signed into EITI in 2003, we resolved to implement it through a model of coalition."

President Obasanjo blamed the prevalence of corruption revealed by recent audits on the "institutional decay and dislocation that our country suffered over the last two decades".

"Our challenge is to use the impetus granted us by these audits to transform our revenue reporting mechanisms, production institutions and human personnel for a more transparent extractive industry," he said.

He said civil society organisations could serve as "whistle blowers that can complement our anti-corruption drive".

Source

Nigeria oil 'total war' warning

A Nigerian militant commander in the oil-rich southern Niger Delta has told the BBC his group is declaring "total war" on all foreign oil interests.

The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta has given oil companies and their employees until midnight on Friday night to leave the region.

It recently blew up two oil pipelines, held four foreign oil workers hostage and sabotaged two major oilfields.

The group wants greater control of the oil wealth produced on their land.

Nigeria is Africa's leading oil exporter and the fifth-biggest source of US oil imports, but despite its oil wealth, many Nigerians live in abject poverty.

Aims

It is the first time the military leader of the Mend movement, Major-General Godswill Tamuno, has spoken publicly of his group's aims.

He refused to be interviewed on tape or for his location to be disclosed.

He told the BBC's Abdullahi Kaura Abubakar that they had launched their campaign, called "dark February", to ensure that all foreign oil interests left.

He said that they had had enough of the exploitation of their resources and wanted to take total control of the area to get their fair share of the wealth.

Our correspondent says the movement brings together a variety of local groups that had been operating in the Niger Delta before.

Their diversity means the group enjoys considerable local support and it is difficult to pinpoint exactly who is a member, he says.

Mend's leaders tend to like to be faceless, our reporter says, and they usually send statements to the media via email.

Well armed

The Niger delta has been the scene of a low-level war in recent months and the government has increased its military presence in the region.

On Wednesday, a Nigerian government helicopter gunship opened fire on eight barges allegedly used by smugglers to transport stolen crude oil.

The smugglers are believed to be well armed with weapons from eastern Europe brought in to pay for the illicit oil.

Mend released a statement immediately after the raid saying the helicopter had fired rockets and machine-guns at targets on land and accused the military of targeting civilians.

It warned that its fighters were capable of shooting down military helicopters and accused Shell of helping out the security forces by allowing them use of an airstrip it operates.

The military has denied it used the facility.

According to AFP news agency, Shell has not confirmed or denied that its airstrip was the base for the attack.

Source

P.S. Donate to your hungry and thirsty brothers and sisters back home. You have no choice but to do so.

Blessed   

Castro,

Sorry love, didn't mean to be so harsh with ya :D I'm very sentimental about my camels and sensitive about my post count. I've been trying to get on the top 5 since 2003. and now a 10 month old baby is beating me to it. :mad:

Back to topic.

Corruption as highlighted on the articles you posted is what’s holding Africa back. It’s also giving the G8 an excuse not to clear the debt. I’a I’ll post more on next time. I’m a little knacked right now…

Castro   

^ It's a nine month old baby. icon_razz.gif

You know Blessed, these days, I'm seeing everything as corruption, empire, oppression, lies, propaganda, injustice and starvation. Sometimes I get depressed and blue without anything going on in my life. :(