Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Buuba: war is likely as TFG does not see courts as partners.

War in Somalia "more likely than not" - minister

LONDON (Reuters) - Somalia no longer considers Islamists who control large parts of the country partners in peace and war is "more likely than not", the foreign minister told Reuters on Wednesday.

Ismail Hurre Buba said he did not consider the peace process dead but added, "What I am saying (is) the ICU (Islamic Courts Union) is not a partner in peace, it's not a partner in bringing it about."

He said he believed the Islamists were using peace talks in Khartoum as a "ploy to buy time".

"These are people who want the area to explode. I'm sure that the Somali people will join together to end this kind of madness," he said in an interview in London.

Asked if war was likely he said: "I think it's more likely than not ... that is a miscalculation that maybe the Islamic Courts are making."

A third round of Arab League-sponsored discussions aimed at averting war in Somalia were to begin in Sudan on Monday but after two days the Islamist and government negotiators still had not come together for face to face talks.

Earlier on Wednesday, the Islamists said they wanted the talks postponed until "fundamental issues", especially the presence of Ethiopian troops in Somalia, could be resolved.

The Islamists, born out of a strict sharia courts movement, took over Mogadishu in June from U.S.-backed warlords and have captured large parts of southern Somalia.

Islamist fighters are poised 10 km (6 miles) from joint Ethiopian-Somali government forces protecting the shaky administration's base in Baidoa.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved. | Learn more about Reuters

ElPunto   

^What is the backstory as to why the ICU has refused to talk to the TFG? How much credence do you give the stated reason of - Ethiopia out first?

^^^I think they were angered by the international community appeasing President Yusuf, who last month demanded that IGAD be included in the running of the talks, and not left to the Arab league alone.

The Courts now demand that Sudan should be the chosen nation instead of Kenay.

They made a meal of it, and look like the ones who are obstucting the peace talks.