Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Amiin Caamir

Many of you just discovered Amiin Caamir's visual artist creativity, but as a boy, I used to look forward Amiin Caamir's daily fascinating editorial cartoons in early '90s. It was because of Amiin Caamir that I used to rush each morning or beg whoever was going to Bakaaraha to buy me a Shabeelle Press paper in '91-92.

His political cartoons then were as stirring, mocking, caricaturing and rebuking as they are now.

Someone scanned some old Shabeelle Press editorial sawirgacmeedyo by Amiin, and memories immediately flooded back.

amiincaamir6ad0.jpg

amiincaamir9io1.jpg

amiincaamir4df7.jpg

amiincaamir5ud5.jpg

amiincaamirwu4.jpg

The following three, however, were not as savoury, though. [it reflects the slant Shabeelle Press, Amiin Caamir's then employer, had, which routinely used to call USC fighters and their leaders "mujaahidiin" on their editorial opinions]:

amiincaamir1jx7.jpg

The drawing represents a confused "president" Cali Mahdi Max'ed, where the "mujaahidiin" USC members were shouting from one side to get jaggooyin, and the other the regular opportunity-seeking so-called siyaasi men.

amiincaamir7ug6.jpg

A propagandic image of Max'ed Faarax Caydiid, newly recrowned as Guddoomiyaha ururka USC [soomaali National Congress]. [Don't miss the name Allah on the flag, above USC letters.]

amiincaamir2rr6.jpg

Madaxweyne Cali Mahdi Max'ed oo la dhaarinaayo.

--------------

To read other interesting stories and times that happened daily in Xamar in the interesting days and immediate fall the regime in early 1991, riix inta.