Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Yazidis: a secretive, syncretic sect

N.O.R.F   

Yazidis: a secretive, syncretic sect

Agencies

Published: August 15, 2007, 12:58

Yazidis are predominantly ethnic Kurds whose religion blends elements of Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

Small communities of Yazidis can be found in Syria, Turkey, Georgia and Armenia, but the majority of the estimated 100,000 believers live in Iraq. Most Yazidis, even young people, choose to live in these isolated communities, though they often face extreme poverty.

Yazidis worship an angel figure, Malak Ta'us, or Peacock Angel, who is considered to be the devil by some Muslims and Christians. Yazidis - who don't believe in hell or evil - deny that.

Many Yazidi rituals center on Sheik Adi, a Sufi Arab who lived in northern Iraq in the 12th century and is considered the religion's chief saint. Pilgrims hold festivals near his tomb, north of Mosul.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many Yazidi traditions are shrouded in such secrecy that most have never been witnessed by outsiders.

Yazidis regard marriage outside their faith as a sin punishable by ostracism or even death to restore lost honor.

http://www.gulfnews.com/region/Iraq/10146760.html

N.O.R.F   

200 Iraqi Yazidis killed in targetted attacks

Agencies

Last updated: August 15, 2007, 11:16

Baghdad: Four suicide bombers struck nearly simultaneously at communities of a small Kurdish sect in northwestern Iraq, killing at least 200 people and wounding 300 more, Iraqi military and local officials said.

The death toll in the late Tuesday attack was the highest in a concerted attack since November 23, when 215 people were killed by mortar fire and five car bombs in Baghdad's Shiite Muslim enclave of Sadr City.

And it was most vicious attack yet against the Yazidis, an ancient religious community in the region whose members are considered infidels by some Muslims and Christians.

The bombings came as extremists staged other bold attacks: leveling a key bridge outside Baghdad and abducting five officials from an Oil Ministry compound in the capital in a

raid using gunmen dressed as security officers. Nine US soldiers also were reported killed, including five in a helicopter crash.

US officials believe extremists are attempting to regroup across northern Iraq after being driven from strongholds in and around Baghdad.

Such a retrenching could increase pressure on small communities such as the Yazidis, a primarily Kurdish group with ancient roots that worships an angel figure considered

to be the devil by some Muslims and Christians. Yazidis, who don't believe in hell or evil, deny that.

The Islamic State in Iraq, an Al Qaida front group, distributed leaflets a week ago warning residents near the scene of Tuesday's bombings that an attack was imminent

because Yazidis are "anti-Islamic."

The sect has been under fire since some members stoned a Yazidi teenager to death in April. She had converted to Islam and fled her family with a Muslim boyfriend, and

police said 18-year-old Duaa Khalil Aswad was killed by relatives who disapproved of the match.

A grainy video showing gruesome scenes of the woman's killing was later posted on Iraqi Web sites. Its authenticity could not be independently verified, but recent attacks on Yazidis have been blamed on Al Qaida-linked Sunni insurgents seeking revenge.

The suicide bombings came just after sundown near Qahataniya, 120 kilometers west of Mosul, Iraq's third-largest city, said Abdul-Rahman Al Shimiri, the top government official in the area, and Iraq army Capt. Mohammed Ahmed.

"My friend and I were thrown high in the air. I still don't know what happened to him," said Khadir Shamu, a 30-year-old Yazidi who was injured in Tal Azir, scene of two blasts.

At least one of the trucks was an explosives-laden fuel tanker, police said. Shops were set ablaze and apartment buildings were reported crumbled by the powerful explosions.

Dhakil Qassim, a mayor in the town of Sinjar near the attacks who blamed Al Qaida in Iraq, said the four trucks approached Qahataniya from dirt roads and they all exploded

within minutes of each other.

http://www.gulfnews.com/region/Iraq/10146750.html

Johnny B   

Nothing beats killing a fellow human-beeing in the name of God.

What are punch of Yazidi infidels if not a ladder for the `Mujahid` to climb into the heavenly virgins?.

The world is sure better off without hundereds of infidels who probably sympathize with the great Satan .

Now that the `jihadists` served God by carrying out his will and cleaned the earth of those discusting infidels all is left for us is to hope that God rewards them with more virgins than they`re initially intitled to. :D

Ibtisam   

Nothing beats killing a fellow human-beeing in the name of God.

What are punch of Yazidi infidels if not a ladder for the `Mujahid` to climb into the heavenly virgins?.

The world is sure better off without hundereds of infidels who probably sympathize with the great Satan .

Now that the `jihadists` served God by carrying out his will and cleaned the earth of those discusting infidels all is left for us is to hope that God rewards them with more virgins than they`re initially intitled to.

Are you kidding?? :rolleyes: :cool:

Johnny B   

Norf, i rather revel in my ignorance than pretend to be knowledgeable, no sham or shambles,no bended knees and best of all no vindicative punishment is attached to my Ignorance.

Ghany, i`m not kidding. icon_razz.gif

go ahead and let it out on me `bal`, ruin this wonderful morning of mine as you seem to have grown invisible balls since you got back from Burco.

Jamster   

Peace we care for the name of humanity!

Johny, waa inoo iyo xamar cadeey adiga. Hadaanan jilbahaaga dhulka dhigin aniga macoow la imadhoho.

Ibtisam   

Ghany, i`m not kidding.

go ahead and let it out on me `bal`, ruin this wonderful morning of mine as you seem to have grown invisible balls since you got back from Burco.

I don't have the energy right now, too bad I read this at the end of my day! Maybe i'll ruin 2morrow morning for you and give you a reality check!

My "balls" invisible or not have nothing to do this with thread :rolleyes: please stay on topic.

N.O.R.F   

Norf, i rather revel in my ignorance than pretend to be knowledgeable, no sham or shambles,no bended knees and best of all no vindicative punishment is attached to my Ignorance.

Throwing the toys out of the pram as per usual :D . That statement reminds of the playground 'I know you are, you said you are but what am I?' :D

Your barking up the wrong tree mate (again),,,