Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

British forces mark Remembrance Day in Somaliland

A low-key Remembrance Day was marked in Somaliland on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month by British forces for the first time in the last two decades.

A British army delegation arrived in Somaliland on early hours of Thursday and shortly after met with Somaliland army officials in the Ministry of Defense in the out skirts of Hargeisa.

The former British divisional commander in Basra and the south, Major-General Jonathan Shaw laid the wreath at the Memorial stands in Hargeisa War Cemetery, which commemorates those who died during the actions of September 1939 to December 1947.

The Remembrance Day, which marks when the Armistice was signed to bring an end to the First World War also remembers the sacrifices made in all wars by Commonwealth nations.

On the 3rd of August 1940, Italian forces under the command of Lieutenant General Guglielmo Nasi entered Somaliland, which was a British protectorate since 1884; after a sharp but brief assault, the British forces withdrew from territory to their garrison in Aden. Italy would occupy the country for almost a year.

The British Prime Minister, Sir Winston Churchill, criticized Field Marshal Sir Archibald Percival Wavell (General Wavell) concerning the loss of British Somaliland to the Italians without a fight. The fall enraged the British leader because Somaliland was the first British territory to fall to enemy hands and the first victory for the Italians without German support during World War Two. Italy used 24,000 men against Britain’s 4000.

After launching the East African Campaign and drawing many recruits from Commonwealth nations including Somaliland, the British retook Somaliland in March 1941 and in November force the Italians to surrender from all their territories in east Africa including neighboring Somalia.

During the campaign in British Somaliland, the allies lost 260 British combatants and further 1000 Somalilanders while Italy lost 2,052 soldiers and another 2000 fighters natives from Somalia.

Today, Hargeisa Military Cemetery contains 115 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War (two of them unidentified).

Somaliland also has the Berbera Memorial, which commemorates more than 100 men who died in operations in British Somaliland during the First World War and whose graves are not known.

Even though Somaliland does not officially mark the day, many of its sons served along side the British during World War Two, not only in their native country but also places such as Burma and Singapore against the Japanese.

Today, Somaliland is not an internationally recognized state after voluntarily unifying with it’s southern neighbor to former what was known as the Somali Republic in 1960. After the collapse of Somalia’s totalitarian regime of Mohamed Siad Bare, Somaliland announced the restoration of it’s independence.

Somaliland does get assistance from Britain however that effort is expected to increase under the Liberal and Conservative government of David Cameron.

Currently, Britain also trains and funds Somaliland police including it’s Special Protection Unit (SPU), however, Britain is expected to train Somaliland coast guards and military.

Major-General Jonathan Shaw was accompanied by Colonel R. J. K. Bradford, a military personnel from British embassy in Addis Ababa.

bilan   

For some reason after I read the title this classic poem come to my mind.

AWOWGAY NINKII INDHAHA TIRAy NINKII AABAHAY ADOONSADAY

NINKII ANIGANA I IIBSADAY NINKII IFKA IGU ADOONSADAY

ITAAL LI'I BAA ISHAA I BIDEE HADAAN OGOHOONAN KA AARSAN KARAYN

HADAANAN AADANOOW UNUUNKA JARAYN NINKAA ARAGIISA UURKAAN KA NECBEE

AAN OOYEE ALBAABKA II XIDHA.

ISAGOO IGLAN JOOGA BUU I DILOO USHUU SOO FIDIYAA I IIMAYSOO

WAA TAAARAMIDU OOFA TIRTEE ASAAG LI'I BAA ISHAA I BIDEE

NINKAA ARAGIISA UURKAAN KA NECBEE AAN OOYEE ALBAABKA II XIDHA.

ARLADII KA SAMROO ADUUN MA HAYEE HADII LA ILAASHAY AFKAYGII

HADAANAN IKHTIYAAR AQOONTAY HADLAYN HADAANAN ERAY QUDHA SHIRKAAS ODHANAYN

NINKAA ARAGIISA UURKAAN KA NECBEE AAN OOYEE ALBAABKA II XIDHA.

WIXII ARINEEN ILAAHAY JECLAYN AAYAADKA QUR'AAN WADA ARAGTOO

UDGOONE INA YIDHI INDHAHA KA QARSHEE NINKAA ARAGIISA UURKAAN KA NECBEE

UGAADHA NINKII DHAQEE URURSHAA RUUXII EEGAYAA ADDUUN KA BAXSHEE

RAGIINII OGAA HORUU U ARKEE NINKII OORIDIISA U GEYNAAYOOW

IN KEEG IYO SHAAL AYUU KU ARKINE IIMOOWDEE AXANKAAGA WAYNEE.

LIBAAXA ANNAYIYO ABAARSO KA CIYEY ABUURIIN LO'DA JOOGTA BAA URISOO

OODAY JABISAA INTAY KA DHACDOO AMSAXUU KA GURAA IDAYLKEED

WAKAA INGIRIISKII IIDA HAYEE IDINA U DABAALDEGOO ADHIYOHOW

ORDAYOO MAGACANA KA IIBSADA. AAN OOYEE ALBAABKA II XIDHA.

Mayaani   

Bilaney kuuma garan ayaga iyo Ingriis xume waxay isu yihiin wa layabe somali way jecelyihiin kuwa halkaan somalilantaa la wareegaya. My hereos always be my mind Tima Cade, Barda Cas, Abdulahi Qarshe. North west Somali it is shinning star or hoygii gobonimada somaaliyeed.

Timur   

This is the most disgusting thing ever. These guys have a slave mentality. The white guy is wondering if these adoons still have their leashes.

Saalax   

Aslong as it's low-key rememberance problem ma jirto. Anyhow somaliland anaga iska leh we control who can come to our country and who can't. And we will do whatever we want with our country ciidnana loma joojiinayo.

I don't see no poppies on their chests. Where are the poppies? :D

Speaking of poppies, my ten-year-old niece once asked me on a so-called Remembrance Day why I am not wearing a poppy. After she arrived from school, she asked me, "Abti, where is your poppy?"

"Waa kusoo isistaagay ku iri."

"Alla..." kulahaa.

"I am not a Canadian," ku iri, "You are." And that awoowgey dagaal gaaleed iigama dhiman, dalkeenana uma dhiman. Iyadii qosol.