Sign in to follow this  
Liibaan

desperate times require desperate measures

Liibaan   

desperate times require desperate measures

World does not respect the freedom and human rights of Somaliland

Hargeisa (HAN) March 7th, 2007 - Another ugly chapter of the Haatuf saga opened on Feb.27 when Somaliland’s Supreme Court handed down a ruling against Haatuf newspaper and in favor of the government. The most important point in the court’s decision was that Haatuf would be tried using Somalia’s Penal Code rather than Somaliland’s Press Law. The defendants were Yusuf A. Gabobe (the editor of Somaliland Times), Ali Dini (the editor of Haatuf) and Mohammed Omar Sheikh (Haatuf correspondent in Awdal).

The Horn of African Journalist Association (HAJA): han@geeskaafrika.com

The Somaliland writer, Abdirahman Maxamed (Haadka): As I write this article, many news makers are copy pasting from Somaliland's media that four journalists have been sentenced for "insulting" the first lady. Despite this unhappy ending, I congratulate Somaliland's media for reaching this high level of controversy and I thank everyone helping Somaliland to finally reach the paramount of freedom of speech. Having that said, I like to focus on the most ironic scene of this sad catastrophe which no one has noticed.

Have you wondered why the news of sentencing journalists in democratic Somaliland is mentioned in newspapers like al Khaleej from UAE, a country where all media is owned or controlled by the government? I also wonder since when did the world care about Somaliland? How dare they ask us to be fully democratic, free and respect human rights when the world does not respect the freedom and the human rights of Somaliland by denying its existence and quest for international recognition?

Riyale has jailed four men; sure that is a sad development. However, what about putting 4 million people in the jail of being ignored and unrepresented? Somaliland has everything any nation has and more for quite number of years now. So, If you are journalist, we don’t want you to care about those in the small jail, I sure you it’s the same outside. At least now there are recognized internationally as the poor journalists!

Finally I conclude this message advising the Somaliland government to cancel all elections, kill these four so called journalists, sell drugs to ships who cross the international Gulf of Aden, welcome terrorism and build centers for children sexual exploration. If we are not welcomed in the right world and got sentenced for nothing but being ourselves, lets move on to the other world where Osama bin laden and Israel will welcome us with open arms.

Opinion: Contributed by Abdirahman Maxamed (Haadka)