Sign in to follow this  
Land_Soldier

The real Federation of Somali States, established by Puntland

Sheick Sharif period is almost over. Eventhaught his goverment was called Federal, it was not build nor based on the real idea of Federalism.

I think the solution for lasting peace, understanding and security in South-Somalia lies not in a strong central goverment. But in the form of strong, healthy region, where people feel ownership of their own (State) goverment.

So that is why I think its time to create the real Federalism in South-Somalia. And Puntland should be in the forefront, as it is the first state established in Somalia.

Therefore Puntland should try to create a real dialogue between the newly established States and then establish an Union of States.

- Invite the relevant representative with authority on the ground who are trying to establish local states from Makhiir, SSC, Galgaduud, Galmudug, Xiin and Xeeb, Hiiraan, Jubba.

-These 'States' dont have real authority yet. But Puntland can use the momentum to support them and this would give these States a boost.

-Talk to eachother on equal playing field (That's what SSC and Maakhir are actually asking for).

-This would give Puntland enormous weight , because its the biggest and most established authority. And the first Friend of these entities and not their enemy (like it's now).

-Puntland should throw its behind these entities, create a dialogue, make peace with eachother, promise eachoher support against Al Shabaab (All for one, One for All).

-All these local goverments would draw and sign to Union of Somali States seeking Unity .

-Establish Garowe as the seat and meeting place for all States. So that even the States who are not established can work from Garowe to establish authority in their own State. And they can come over from the diaspora to work on the 'liberation' of their States. Do you know how many offices and embassies these States would get, led by their respective diaspora.

-This would find support from UN, AU, EU,ngo's, donors . They would establish offices in Garowe.

-Puntland would get more security from Al Shabaab, because it has all these entities opering in their State. And it would have the support of all the States in the South. And it support(Galmudug, Galguduud,Hiiraan)) its first defence against Al-Shabaab.

-And the Union of Somali States is born, with Puntland as the Primus inter pares.

- And then it would really be, ku dayo Puntland not Puntland wee ku dayataa

That is what I would do if I was in charge of Puntland.

Somalina   

So that is why I think its time to create the real Federalism in South-Somalia. And Puntland should be in the forefront, as it is the
first state established in Somalia

Really!!

It is nice to dream of 1 qabiil solving Somalia's problems, innit? :rolleyes:

NASSIR   

Nina, I believe federalism as a solution was first promoted and discussed in detail at one of the prestigious publications by the scholar, Ali Fatah, back in the early 1992.

Gen. Aideed also promoted and wanted federalism in the early 90s.

Here is a background info on "Somaliland's" bloody internal conflict for your perusal. Abdirahman Tur, the 1st president of SL wanted to extend or establish federalism in Hargeisa, but it took on violent means and he and his camp, mostly clansmen were at last submerged by Egal and his coalition group.

It might therefore be of general interest to briefly indicate, as objectively as possible, how each

side portrayed the conflict situation around the time (November 1995) that the Peace Committee was about to start its field work.

8.1 In general terms, the Government publicly maintained that the opposition (i.e. the

Garhajis fighting faction) was
federalist, fighting on behalf of anti-Somaliland group
(i.e.

Messrs. Abdirahman-Tuur Ahmed Ali, Jama-Yare Mohamed Ghalib, Hassan Adan Wadaadeed

and others) based in Mogadishu. and in league with
Aideed Faction
in Somalia and as such

the opposition was bent to destroy the Somaliland State. In support of its claim, the Government pointed to the Mogadishu group's public acknowledgement of their support for the opposition. The Government saw the opposition as a clan rebellion which had to be dealt with accordingly.

8.2 The position taken by the opposition publicly was that the Government breached the

National Charter, exceeded its authority and, in the eyes of the opposition, rendered itself

illegal and therefore the opposition would not recognize it. The opposition saw the

Government forces which faced its forces as illegally constituted militia that enabled all the clans in Somaliland to gang up on the opposition. The opposition's declared solution to the conflict was for all the Somaliland clans to get together (without the involvement of the

Government) in a peace-making conference to first settle any disputes between clans.....

From
"Report on Peacemaking Somaliland"

Originally posted by Land_Soldier:

-
Invite
Makhiir, SSC,

-These 'States' dont have real authority yet. But Puntland can use the momentum
to support them and this would give these States a boost.

-Talk to eachother on
equal playing field
(That's what SSC and Maakhir are actually asking for).

Somaliland should give up their claim to Sool and Sanaag?

No, Somaliland should not give up on Sool and Sanaag.

But the idea above is what I would do if I was Puntland and I want to establish peace and a real federal state.

Originally posted by Land_Soldier:

No, Somaliland should not give up on Sool and Sanaag.

But the idea above is what I would do if I was Puntland and I want to establish peace and a real federal state.

And how can your idea of a real federal state be established if Somaliland is holding the claim of Sanaag and Sool?..What you wrote is a total contradiction, maybe consider another draft? There is no such thing as "SSC" or "Makakirs" state, you do agree correct?

SSC and Makhir are also founders of Puntland, notwithstanding the noise coming from some radical diaspora sipping latte in the comfort of their homes in the west.

Puntland should concentrate on good governance, combating shabaab and oil exploration, then it will have the knowledge and the resources to help other upcoming Somali ofederal states.

guys, I am real Somalilander. Not because I am filled with Cuqdad like some people are(Xaaji, Africaown,JB).

But this doesnt mean I dont want the best for all Somali's. I do want the best for all. I want Somalia, Somaliland, Djibouti, a Free O-gadenia and NFD to be the best of neighbours.

But today the South is burning, the image of the Horn of Africa is one filled with bloody images of the South. This distracts the whole region of real tangible development. Look at the NFD, how its tribalized and effecten by the conflict in the South. Look at O-gadenia, many dont see the human right abuses conducted by Ethiopia, because people say and think, well they are better of than the South. Look at how difficult Somaliland attracts Foreign Direct Investment, just say the word Somali and every possible investor shakes, NO.

So this issue of South-Somalia has to be resolved, for the better of the Horn of Africa.

So, eventhaught the realities on the ground are one of with no hope on the future of the Horn.

But this doesnt mean the thinking about the future has to stop. We need to think about the future of the Horn of Africa, we need to think about the future of the Somali's, we need to think about the future relation of Somaliland, Somalia, Djibhouti , NFD and ******ia.

In order to this the issue of the South has to be resolved and I regard the bottom-up approach demonstrated by Puntland as a possible model for other regions in Somalia. I have been saying this for years. And now others are slowly thinking about re-enganging and revitalising their regions bottom-up(Galgaduud, Galmudug, Hiiraan,etc) instead of waiting for a central solution/goverment for Somalia. And this I see as a positive sign for real governanve.

NASSIR   

Cyber warriors, don't cheer for a Tigray or a defeated Habash, whatever ethnic group Passerby belongs to.

Lander is your fellow Somali citizen and he wishes the best for all Somalis.