Sign in to follow this  
Jabhad

Blair says he will answer to God on Iraq war

Jabhad   

Blair says he will answer to God on Iraq war

London, March. 4 (PTI): After US President George W Bush, reportedly claimed that Iraq invasion was "a mission from God", his ally British Prime Minister Tony Blair, has now said his conscience guided the decision which will be ultimately judged by God.

"That decision has to be taken and has to be lived with and in the end there is a judgment that... well, I think if you have faith about these things then you realize that judgment is made by other people," Blair said when asked about his decision to send troops to Iraq in an interview to be telecast on ITV1 tonight.

Asked to explain, Blair said: "By other people, by, if you believe in God, it's made by God as well."

Blair told the interviewer Michael Parkison that he made policy decisions according to his conscience, which is guided by his Christian faith, ITV reported.

Blair said he was ready to meet his 'Maker' and answer before God for "those who have died or have been horribly maimed as a result of my decisions," the channel reported.

Terming the decisions on the military conflict as the toughest he had faced since he came to power in 1997, Blair said "I struggled with my conscience over the decision to join the US-led invasion."

It is the most frank admission Blair has yet made about how his religious beliefs influence his actions as Prime Minister.

In October last year, President George W Bush, had reportedly claimed that his decision to invade Iraq was "a mission from God".

Finally Blair comes out of the closet.