Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Bush compares Obama to Nazi appeasers

Obama attacks Bush over Iran barb

Barack Obama has accused George W Bush of attacking him after the US president compared those in favour of talking to terrorists to Nazi appeasers.

The White House has denied that the remarks - from a speech to the Israeli parliament - were aimed at Mr Obama.

Mr Obama, who is the frontrunner to become the Democrats' presidential nominee, has argued in favour of negotiating with the Iranian regime.

But he has ruled out talking to militant organisations like Hamas.

'False comfort'

"Some seem to believe that we should negotiate with the terrorists and radicals," said Mr Bush in his speech.

"We have heard this foolish delusion before. As Nazi tanks crossed into Poland in 1939, an American senator declared: 'Lord, if I could only have talked to Hitler, all this might have been avoided.' We have an obligation to call this what it is - the false comfort of appeasement."

"It is sad that President Bush would use a speech to the Knesset on the 60th anniversary of Israel's independence to launch a false political attack. George Bush knows that I have never supported engagement with terrorists."

But White House spokeswoman Dana Perino rejected Mr Obama's interpretation of the president's remarks, saying "there are many who have suggested these types of negotiations with people that the president... thinks that we should not talk to".

"I understand when you're running for office you sometimes think the world revolves around you," she added.

"That is not always true. And it is not true in this case."

The BBC's James Coomarasamy in Washington says the row indicates that Republicans have identified Senator Obama's Middle East policy and his perceived weakness amongst Jewish voters as a key point of attack, should he, as many expect, be Republican John McCain's opponent in the November election.

Mr Obama raised eyebrows last year when he first stated his support for direct negotiations without preconditions with the controversial Iranian President, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

His position has been criticised, not only by John McCain, but also by Mr Obama's rival for the Democratic nomination, Hillary

bbc.com

Reactions

The tradition has always been that when a U.S. President is overseas, partisan politics stops at the water's edge. President Bush has now taken that principle and turned it on its head: for this White House, partisan politics now begins at the water's edge, no matter the seriousness and gravity of the occasion. Does the president have no shame?

Rahm Emanuel

"Yes, there have been appeasers in the past, and the president is exactly right, and one of them is
Neville Chamberlain
,'' Mr. McCain told reporters on his campaign bus after a speech in Columbus, Ohio. "I believe that it's not an accident that our hostages came home from Iran when President Reagan was president of the United States. He didn't sit down in a negotiation with the religious extremists in Iran, he made it very clear that those hostages were coming home.''

Asked if he thought that former President Jimmy Carter, who struggled with the hostage crisis, was an appeaser, Mr. McCain replied: "
I don't know if he was an appeaser
or not, but he terribly mishandled the Iranian hostage crisis.''

John Mccain

web page

Fabregas   

When it comes to the entire Muslims world, they're all the same........as for the domestic, they're might be some small changes........but I get the feeling Obama could disappoint a few black flags.........and the clintons have shown what utter desperados they are......the pro black shams has been exposed as myth..........

ma Obama la jirta?

STOIC   

Just when I though Bush would be detached from McCain campaign (after what happened in 2000 campaign) he comes up with the most lame accusation. Bush is trying to help the Republican Party by posturing Obama as an appeaser. Such fears mongering tactics only seems real to the Republican Cassandra’s who are out there for American hegemony. While Americans are trying ways to thrash out of his mess he wants to convince them that his party has the solution. Fear is the only asset of the Republican Party revival. Obama will be elected to the white House on the promise that he would bring truth and openness to the mess you made you Moron.

che, Mississippi has officially proven that the death of the GOP is near with the third straight loss of a GOP seat in congress in a republican strongholds to the Dems even after the republicans blasted the airways with messages about Obama and reverend wright. If were them, i would say ish like this just to appeal people.

I goodness gracious, the man said he gave up golfing for the solders dying in iraq, we should not be surprised by what this fool says.

Geeljire..Qofna lama jirin though I prefer Obama and Dems when it comes to the domestic and as for foreign affairs, I was only referring to my narrow interests, but you are right their outlike is the same.

Naxar...They lost the special election.Things aren't going their way and the Clintons are being told to fall behind the party since the end is near for them. Plus their campaign is 20 million in red. I don't know how much money she loan her campaign. She is no Romney for sure

John Edwards Endorses Obama... GOP Prospects "Worst Since Watergate"

The level of distress was evident in remarks by senior party officials throughout the day.

"This was a real wake-up call for us," Robert M. Duncan, the chairman of the Republican National Committee, said in an interview. "We can't let the Democrats take our issues. We can't let them pretend to be conservatives and co-opt the middle and win these elections. We have to get the attention of our incumbents and candidates and make sure they understand this."

Representative Tom Davis, Republican of Virginia and former leader of his party's Congressional campaign committee, issued a dire warning that the Republican Party had been severely damaged, in no small part because of its identification with President Bush. Mr. Davis said that, unless Republican candidates changed course, they could lose 20 seats in the House and 6 in the Senate.

"They are canaries in the coal mine, warning of far greater losses in the fall, if steps are not taken to remedy the current climate," Mr. Davis said in a memorandum. "The political atmosphere facing House Republicans this November is the worst since Watergate and is far more toxic than it was in 2006."

web page