Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Liberal MP Borys: Trip to Jowhar Somalia..

Liberal MP first foreign politician to enter Somalia and meet with Transitional Federal Government

Posted to the Web Aug 08, 11:12

NAIROBI, KENYA, Aug. 7 /CNW Telbec/ - On Saturday, August 6th, Liberal MP Borys Wrzesnewskyj (Etobicoke Centre) became the first foreign politician to meet with the President, Prime Minister and Cabinet of Somalia's Transitional Federal Government (TFG), at its temporary seat of power in the Shabelle region of Somalia -- 90 km outside of the yet to be secured capital of Mogadishu.

Following two days of meetings with President Abdullahi Yussef Ahmed, Prime Minister Ali Mohamed Geedi, Cabinet Ministers and Members of Parliament, Wrzesnewskyj travelled back to Nairobi, Kenya, by small private aircraft, from where he shared these observations by telephone:

"It is heart wrenching to see the conditions in which the people of this failed state live. We all know that there are no government schools or hospitals, but I was shocked that there are no roads and that few brick or mortar buildings remain habitable. Somali Parliamentarians are living and working nine per room in an old schoolhouse. Cabinet Ministers are running a nation out of 400 square foot rooms with three tables and chairs per room.

I met with the President and Prime Minister in their heavily guarded compound in Jowhar City and notwithstanding the devastation all around, I was optimistic about the future of the Somali people and their state upon seeing the dedication and skill of the President, Prime Minister and their key advisors.

They bring impressive qualifications and a great reserve of knowledge that will help to make this government succeed. Most heartening was that the Somali people are united -- every Somali I met on the streets was clear, they want this Transitional Federal Government to succeed - they feel it is their only hope to reclaim a future for their children and grandchildren.

There was a time when Canada was at the forefront internationally in helping states at historic crossroads. In 1974-75, Canada was the first country to help Somalia during its draught. With the outbreak of civil war and anarchy in Somalia,Canada was among the first to accept Somali refugees and we now have the largest Somali diaspora in the world. We must build upon the legacy of Lester Pearson and Canada's reputation as peacekeeper and civil society builder and we must give substance to the special relationship that we have with the Somali people."

Wrzesnewskyj will hold a press conference in Nairobi on Monday, August 8, 2005 at 1:00 pm local time, to share his observations of the situation on the ground in Somalia. The location of the press conference is to be confirmed, however the Toronto area MP will be available for telephone interviews.

For further information: Borys Wrzesnewskyj, MP (in Nairobi),

(613) 853-9001; Betty Pavelich-Sirois, (613) 947-5000 or (613) 863-3136

Following two days of meetings with President Abdullahi Yussef Ahmed, Prime Minister Ali Mohamed Geedi, Cabinet Ministers and Members of Parliament, Wrzesnewskyj travelled back to Nairobi, Kenya, by small private aircraft, from where he shared these observations by telephone:

"It is heart wrenching to see the conditions in which the people of this failed state live. We all know that there are no government schools or hospitals, but I was shocked that there are no roads and that few brick or mortar buildings remain habitable. Somali Parliamentarians are living and working nine per room in an old schoolhouse. Cabinet Ministers are running a nation out of 400 square foot rooms with three tables and chairs per room.

The Truth really hurts. Here we are still fighting are we blind I really don't even see anything to fight over We have a failed Nation and it's really hurts to see those that want to stand in the way of this Government. Don't they see the conditions we are in.

"I met with the President and Prime Minister in their heavily guarded compound in Jowhar City and notwithstanding the devastation all around, I was optimistic about the future of the Somali people and their state upon seeing the dedication and skill of the President, Prime Minister and their key advisors".