Sign in to follow this  
SOO MAAL

Building a neutral force

SOO MAAL   

Building a neutral force from different clans: First step to a peaceful solution

Abdisalam M. Garjex “cameyâ€

September 18, 2005

After 15 years, we stand at the end of the road for any peaceful resolution to our country's mounting problems. Every faint light of hope dashes away before it is realized. In the past, Somali leaders, politicians, civil societies, international community and intellectuals in the Diaspora have proposed ideas and blueprints for rebuilding a Somali state and saving the suffering masses. All efforts were to no avail.

I have a duty and responsibility to my country and as I did numerous times, I will contribute proposals and submit my opinions to the general public for a lasting peace in my homeland.

Taking the divisions of the new government and members of the parliament, which led us into a new era of hostilities and the lack of international assistance both in economic and peace enforcing into consideration, the transitional federal government should come-up a sensible plan of action to forward its objectives and ways to marginalize the warlords.

The first and foremost is to gather a 10.000 thousand strong force from all regions and train them in three different locations. These forces should be given enough food and salary for them and their families. Training should include civic responsibilities and lessons in rule of law. United Nations and African Union must be able to assist and train a well disciplined army.

Relocate the government to Mogadishu

After completing the training of the national army, the government of Prime Minister Geedi and Abdullahi is to negotiate their way to Mogadishu to establish center of their administration with a backdrop of 10.000 well-trained forces, which will guard the officials, offices and properties. The national force will be located at the north, south and center of Mogadishu neighborhoods.

Short term goals

• I. Demobilize armed thugs into camps – absorb some of them into the national forces and others into vocational training centers.

• II. Resolve differences between the two sides of the government and parliament and establish a mutual atmosphere of cooperation.

• III. Select a management team for Mogadishu province. Nominate a mayor and three deputies. Assign each deputy to a responsibility of one the three major divisions.

• IV. Open the seapor