Sign in to follow this  
Cowke

ONLF To Hold Peace Talks With Addis Ababa

You can sometimes start negotiations and get thing done in that way. It is politics and with an open negotiations you can get the support of the whole world.

N.O.R.F   

A&T, I think the OG region needs to wait this one out and in the meantime build towards taking control of politics regionally then nationally. This will obviously depend on many things but some sort of stability for a long period would be good for all.

Abtigiis   

Ok, I hear you.

I will instruct the ONLF to do so when I see Somaliland accepting to be part of the national reconcilliation in Somalia.

Horta intaadan odhan xabashi la midooba, idinku Somali la midooba oo ogolaada.

It is not necessary inaad la midowdo if u don't want to ,, but strategically you can do that for the long run where you have influence in the politics and later on find chances to move out.

Somaliland wanted to go back right after the union in the 60s but took us too long as it was not the right time then ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that is why u need to open your vision and work from the long term strategy.

N.O.R.F   

:D

I'm not saying xabashi la midooba. It might just be better to bide your time and wait for a Somalia that will back you up.

I actually suggested SL's only way to independence is through a referendum (in SL)santioned by a stable Somali state.

I will pull up the thread.

Abtigiis   

Horta, I see a lot of confusion and ignorance in your feeble recommendations.

Confusions:

confusion 1:- When you say, " where you have influence from [within]", anagoo aya ah? ma rer-hebel mise Somali's in Ethiopia? Because if you say either, the response is that a big part of Somali's are already part of the system both as a Somali and Og. Da'ud and Ina-iley are not from Galguduud nor from Eritrea. And they are the bosses in Region five, subject to the limitations of 'working from within' which means different things to you and to me.

Confusion two:- Do you know the demographic impact when you are waiting to make changes gradually? the number of non-somai's in jigjiga right now? Do you want a balkan's situation later? But more importantly, do you think 'peaceful' ways of getting self-determination work in Ethiopia? Which precedence or current signs support this fatuos innuendo?

Ignorance:

Do you know why the ONLF and Ethiopia are not talking? Did you know of a particular offer (maybe si hoose loogu sheegay Cirro ama Cawil) that refrendum will be granted to the Og if they sign peace deal? Arimaahs culus ha inoo danbeeyeene, do you know the position of the Ethiopian government regarding talks with ONLF? Have you heard of a current process (by South Africa) to bring the two parties to a meeting and how it failed?

Kolka if you have no answers for all these, please don't move the daggers inside our body with what clearly appears to be a heartless wiirsi of a brethern. And please understand there are stakeholders who could also think from the community you so readily patronise!!

The other important observation from you response about Somaliland and its future (when I raised the question) is that you seem to think Somaliland should not go back to Somalia. Why? "because we have suffered; because we were independent first; because we were killed; because we don't like other clans to dominate us; because we are 'DIFFERENT'". Yet, you don't think those things apply to the Somaligalbeed to even a greater extent.

What we have in Somaligalbeed is not separatism. It is a quest to rejoin Somalia. It is a march towars finding our roots. It is about freedom and choice. What you have in Somaliland is about clan self-interst, about division and disunity, about vengence and tribal ego. yet, you have the cheeck to patronise us on a daily basis about what we should do and what we shouldn't. Charity begins at home, as the cliche goes. When you find the prudence to seek reconcilliation with your likes in Somalia, you will have the moral authority to advise us as fellow somalis' as to where our interst lies. Is that a fair proposition,gentlemen?

N.O.R.F   

My intentions were not patronise the people of OG ee stop getting emotional saxib. I was merely responding to the first post.

If you're saying what I suggested is not possible then fine that your opinion. However, you haven't suggested any other course of action. Should the current status quo continue?

As for the SL comparison, either way, separation or rejoining another country will require a referendum.

NGONGE   

^^ The difference here, of course, is that the ONLF is fighting a 'different' people while SL is trying to break away from Somalis. A&T has a point.

Abtigiis   

Interpretations about a given situation matter. You speak of "current status quo" as a stalemate. We see it as a necessary process. This is struggle, and it has different phases. From what we see on the ground, there is no reason to adopt a different way of seeking our self-determination.

You jump to steps we have not reached yet. You make the mistake of assuming that the coloniser is benevolent and is ready to give us whatever we seek if ONLY we drop the gun. You wilfully jump from part of history, which is that the ONLF sat with TPLF for two years to acheive the things you think can be achieved. You make the assumption that "Ethiopia is offering peace talks" when all that is on offer is an unconditional surrender. And that is not going to happen. Thousands died for the cause, and thousands continue to suffer for it. Their sacrifices will have to be honoured. What they sought should be achieved. And what they sought is to be given the fundamenatl right to choose their destiny.

Whatever process or method that can result in that is acceptable. Be peace negotiations, be cohabituation for a short or even long-term. It can even be to be part of Ethiopia which takes you as equal partner. But the TPLF is offering the version of 'partnership' it has with Somaliland and Puntland, and the TFG. It seeks hegemony and has got it to a large extent. It wants to give you power and priviledge as a charity when it desires. We don't want that.

On you last line about SL and refrendum, there is a factual error. Somaliland is part of Somalia, legally. So, it doesn't need to rejoin it. But if it wants to seceed, it can initiate the process by joining TFG, convincing other national partners and through a refrendum where other Somali's will also be asked if they approve of the refrendum issue. A bit of your own medicine there, mate! :D:D

N.O.R.F   

So you disagree :D

What is the difference between the two given situations (negotiate and wait vs fighting on)?

You're asking me why I think Ethiopia will change its spots and I'm asking you the same. How and why will Ethiopia not carry on doing what it has been doing all these years? What will change in the ONLF armour that will make Ethiopia take note and surrender the region?

Abtigiis   

Now, I understand. Your problem is about self-belief. Whatever made a tiny 3 million Tigre to mount a bitter struggle against an army of 500,000 will make me keep fighting. It is called resolve and self-belief. Until such time the enemy realises it cannot crush the will of the people and agrees to come to the table.

Cawaale   

I was told that this wing is consisted of two former members of the actual ONLF, and that they don't have a weight what so ever!