Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Congressman Payne, Modern Politician or Neo-Colonial Martinet?

HARGEISA, 23 November 2009 (Somalilandpress) – I have just read the Press Release issued by Congressman Donald Payne entitled “Somalia: Abusive Behavior in Puntland” dated 21 November 2009, in which Congressman Payne roundly berates the government of Puntland for their treatment of ONLF prisoners in their custody.

This is the same Congressman Payne who, as Chairman of the Congressional Subcommittee on Africa, reacted with a fit of pique and an intemperate outburst threatening dire consequences in response to Somaliland’s legitimate decision not to testify before his Subcommittee as part of a panel including representatives from the TFG of Sheikh Sharif and the current Puntland administration. In the event, the TFG chose to send the Consul in Washington instead of the Foreign Minister, and Congressman had to make do with only Puntland sending a senior official, its President-Mr. Farole, to the hearings of his Subcommittee last June.

Congressman Payne’s tone in the said Press Release merits some comment, since it clearly illustrates his outlook and perception in his handling of matters to do with Somalia and, dare one say, Africa in general. Mr. Payne states in the release that “…I called the President of Puntland to discuss my concerns [regarding the treatment of the ONLF prisoners] and strongly urged him to release them without delay.” Upon not getting his way, Payne concludes thus, “I strongly condemn this abusive and dictatorial behaviour and demand the immediate release of the prisoners…Failure to act quickly on this matter will have serious consequences.” [my emphasis]

Congressman Payne clearly believes that he has the right, the authority and the power to demand immediate, total and unquestioning compliance by Somali authorities to bend to his will. I make no comment regarding the matter of the ONLF prisoners in Puntland, since the focus of this missive is the unparalleled arrogance and effrontery of Mr. Payne. He is acting like a martinet of the colonial era, rather than a seasoned politician with experience of international politics and the nuanced etiquette of cross-cultural diplomacy. Indeed, one would expect that a seasoned African-American politician with experience of the civil rights era, would exhibit a more thoughtful approach in his dealings with African political leaders and peoples, than the neo-colonial ‘gun-boat diplomacy’ mentality evident in his above mentioned Press Release.

It is clear that Congressman Payne will get nowhere fast until he invests some time and effort in researching the history, cultures and politics of the peoples and regions his Subcommittee is charged to work with on behalf of the US Congress. It would also greatly help his effectiveness if he learns a modicum of manners and humility in dealing with the leaders of these regions and peoples.

Ahmed M.I. Egal

egality@gmail.com

Kamaavi   

What Puntland admin did to the O people is not only for the O people , but a huge damage to the history of Somali people. Puntland's admin will soon harvest the effect of what they have done. But on the other hand the congressman made a great deal and must be appreciated for his sincere step, to go ahead and bring the likes of Faroole in-front of the justice. I am quite sure the Somali people will never forget as the history and time will reward the congressman.

Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor, it must be demanded by the oppressed.

Martin Luther King, Jr.