Sign in to follow this  
SOO MAAL

MP apologises for Muslim comments

SOO MAAL   

MP apologises for Muslim comments

Federal Liberal MP Danna Vale has apologised for remarks she made about the Muslim community in the lead-up to the debate on the abortion drug RU486.

This week Mrs Vale used the words, "we are almost aborting ourselves out of existence" and expressed concern about claims that Australia could become a Muslim country in 50 years' time.

She has told Parliament that Muslim Australians put a high value on their children and like many different faiths see the right-to-life as a core value.

Mrs Vale says she is not a racist and never has been.

"Mr Speaker, I do hope that this clarifies in some way what I was trying to say in a very clumsy way in a live interview the other day, for I deeply regret any offence that might have been taken by members of the Australian Muslim community," she said.

The comments came as the former minister four other Coalition women, who want Parliament to have the final say on the use of the abortion drug RU486, held a press conference this week.

Muslim and Christian leaders condemned her remarks as outlandish, and many of her colleagues distanced themselves from her remarks.